2024 WWE Media Rights Dealings: Smackdown moving to USA in October 2024, Raw to Netflix in January 2025

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
They keep saying they get around 14-15 million people and with a younger skew (average viewer is supposedly 47). But how much of that skew is older people who don’t feel like figuring out how to watch it? Theyre also not subject to Nielsen ratings.

Or the older viewers are just watching on their kids accounts

I watch a fair bit of the TNF but I definitely would watch more if it was on NFL network as it is easier to flip the channels during commercial or whatever, the Prime app is on my Xbox, so it is more of a pain to flip around

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Or the older viewers are just watching on their kids accounts

I watch a fair bit of the TNF but I definitely would watch more if it was on NFL network as it is easier to flip the channels during commercial or whatever, the Prime app is on my Xbox, so it is more of a pain to flip around
I think that’s the thing. People want to flip around. I pull it up for free on twitch and let it run. Eventually I’ll have to refresh and I’ll get up to do it if the game is good enough and I think to pay attention to it.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
If RAW goes to WBD, this is the end of AEW?

Nah, ever since streaming, networks are starved for content. Somebody would sign them.

It wouldn't surprise me if WBD moved on though. They grabbed AEW for basically nothing, when they had no sports to show on Wednesdays. Once they got that NHL deal, the NBA and NHL now occupy TNT Television from October to May, Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday. And it's safe to say they don't want to pay AEW for their rights and move Dynamite to Monday or Friday to go head to head with RAW or Smackdown.

So do they really want to pay AEW a fair amount on the next deal to throw them on the secondary network?

RAW actually works perfectly for TNT when you think about it.

Monday - RAW
Tuesday - NBA
Wednesday - NHL
Thursday - NBA

They'd get f***ed in April, May, and one to two weeks in June at most, but outside that they're fine.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Nah, ever since streaming, networks are starved for content. Somebody would sign them.

It wouldn't surprise me if WBD moved on though. They grabbed AEW for basically nothing, when they had no sports to show on Wednesdays. Once they got that NHL deal, the NBA and NHL now occupy TNT Television from October to May, Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday. And it's safe to say they don't want to pay AEW for their rights and move Dynamite to Monday or Friday to go head to head with RAW or Smackdown.

So do they really want to pay AEW a fair amount on the next deal to throw them on the secondary network?

RAW actually works perfectly for TNT when you think about it.

Monday - RAW
Tuesday - NBA
Wednesday - NHL
Thursday - NBA

They'd get f***ed in April, May, and one to two weeks in June at most, but outside that they're fine.
AEW is also a depreciating asset. Their ratings have been going down for a while now so really they don't even have any leverage.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
AEW is also a depreciating asset. Their ratings have been going down for a while now so really they don't even have any leverage.
WWE’s ratings have been going down for over 20 years.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I dunno that this necessarily matters. WWE's ratings have been declining for two decades and they still get more money on every contract.

WWE’s ratings have been going down for over 20 years.
Sure, during the peak of wrestling Raw was doing around 4.5 million viewers per episode.

2022 they were pulling in on average 1.7 million., compared to Smackdowns 2.1 and AEW doing just under 1 million.

2023 to date, Raw is still at 1.7, Smackdown is doing 2.27, and AEW has dropped to 864k, on average. NXT is doing 658k on average.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sure, during the peak of wrestling Raw was doing around 4.5 million viewers per episode.

2022 they were pulling in on average 1.7 million., compared to Smackdowns 2.1 and AEW doing just under 1 million.

2023 to date, Raw is still at 1.7, Smackdown is doing 2.27, and AEW has dropped to 864k, on average. NXT is doing 658k on average.
I don’t doubt that AEW has depreciated, especially as WWE did not get as much as the industry thought they would for Smackdown. And it would be a big blow to them if WBD gets Raw, but they all pay more attention to the 18-49 demo regardless, and AEW still does better than the NHL and other tier-2 sports. Also, I don’t think Raw would be on TNT on Monday nights, they would likely slot into Dynamite’s spot on Wednesday on TBS.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I don’t doubt that AEW has depreciated, especially as WWE did not get as much as the industry thought they would for Smackdown. And it would be a big blow to them if WBD gets Raw, but they all pay more attention to the 18-49 demo regardless, and AEW still does better than the NHL and other tier-2 sports. Also, I don’t think Raw would be on TNT on Monday nights, they would likely slot into Dynamite’s spot on Wednesday on TBS.
Perception of the product by suits could have a huge effect though, which is something they (AEW) don't quite seem to get. I remember a report coming out at one point that WBD (This was pre-merger, I think) was pissed because Jericho was smoking a cigar, and they essentially told AEW never to do it again... Over a cigar. There's been reports periodically about them telling AEW to tone down the cussing. (Lol)

Point being, WBD apparently puts up with it, but that doesn't mean other networks will, especially if they're now having to actually pay for it. Meltzer has mentioned before that despite AEW getting more viewers than the NHL, TNT still favors the NHL because the ad revenue for hockey is better. And if advertisers or networks aren't thrilled with the content of the product, that's gonna hurt AEW.

... Which, again, is why it bewilders me that they let Hangman drink Swerve's blood after seeing CW's response to NWA showing characters doing blow a week or two earlier.

Reactions: Khelandros

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Perception of the product by suits could have a huge effect though, which is something they (AEW) don't quite seem to get. I remember a report coming out at one point that WBD (This was pre-merger, I think) was pissed because Jericho was smoking a cigar, and they essentially told AEW never to do it again... Over a cigar. There's been reports periodically about them telling AEW to tone down the cussing. (Lol)

Point being, WBD apparently puts up with it, but that doesn't mean other networks will, especially if they're now having to actually pay for it. Meltzer has mentioned before that despite AEW getting more viewers than the NHL, TNT still favors the NHL because the ad revenue for hockey is better. And if advertisers or networks aren't thrilled with the content of the product, that's gonna hurt AEW.

... Which, again, is why it bewilders me that they let Hangman drink Swerve's blood after seeing CW's response to NWA showing characters doing blow a week or two earlier.
One of the reasons, primarily that Fox not only bailed but knew they were early on in this current deal, is that pro-wrestling watchers also tend to be lower income, and don’t spend money, so the ads are worth even less.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
One of the reasons, primarily that Fox not only bailed but knew they were early on in this current deal, is that pro-wrestling watchers also tend to be lower income, and don’t spend money, so the ads are worth even less.
Yep... And then there's hockey showing ads for Lexus and Travis Matthew and a bunch of other upper middle to upper class shit. :laugh:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Yep... And then there's hockey showing ads for Lexus and Travis Matthew and a bunch of other upper middle to upper class shit. :laugh:
Could be the PGA with all the commercials for either retirement financial advisors or various medications and their many side effects that they may include.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I could be wrong but in 1999(post WrestleMania) and the first 2/3rds of 2000(up to football season and the move to TNN) I think Raw was pulling in close to 5.5-6M people

All that being said it's hard to compare ratings of any show(s) to 20+ years ago since it seems all TV ratings have gotten worse(it used to be a network tv show could have 7-8M viewers and get cancelled, now that would be a hit)

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I could be wrong but in 1999(post WrestleMania) and the first 2/3rds of 2000(up to football season and the move to TNN) I think Raw was pulling in close to 5.5-6M people

All that being said it's hard to compare ratings of any show(s) to 20+ years ago since it seems all TV ratings have gotten worse(it used to be a network tv show could have 7-8M viewers and get cancelled, now that would be a hit)
The crazy thing about the ratings then is that RAW and Nitro were on the same night. Peak ratings were around a 6.3 for RAW and a 4.6 for Nitro...AT THE SAME TIME.

These days, streaming has crushed ratings across the board.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I mean Dave has been completely unplugged from what WWE has been cooking with its rights deals (or the sale for that matter) and I doubt whatever source in WBD he has would be honest with him about whether they are talking with WWE or not about RAW.

That said I don't think they end up on WBD either. It doesn't make a ton of sense from multiple stand points for WBD to dump AEW just to pick up RAW. The relationship with AEW just seems to make more sense for where they are at right now.

My guess is RAW ends up on FX. I don't think NBCU is willing to pay out for RAW after what they paid for Smackdown. I don't think Amazon or Netflix offer up enough money to interest WWE in making RAW streaming only.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I mean Dave has been completely unplugged from what WWE has been cooking with its rights deals (or the sale for that matter) and I doubt whatever source in WBD he has would be honest with him about whether they are talking with WWE or not about RAW.

That said I don't think they end up on WBD either. It doesn't make a ton of sense from multiple stand points for WBD to dump AEW just to pick up RAW. The relationship with AEW just seems to make more sense for where they are at right now.

My guess is RAW ends up on FX. I don't think NBCU is willing to pay out for RAW after what they paid for Smackdown. I don't think Amazon or Netflix offer up enough money to interest WWE in making RAW streaming only.
No idea how much Netflix is rumored, but that would be interesting as they don't have any live streaming content. If they ever get interested in the live sports game, this is a good way to get started.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I honestly don't get why USA just didn't go after RAW again. While sure Smackdown is doing better now, which "brand" does better 3 years from now is up to the whims of management which program they feel more inclined to stack the roster with.

Only logic I can see behind this is all things being equal that Friday night AD revenue is higher than Monday Night. All That being said if I can get Raw for less or equal the amount paid to Smackdown, I'll take the 3 hours of Raw.

On a sidenote, notice how since the WWe cashed out on Smackdown already, they put CM Punk on RAW.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I honestly don't get why USA just didn't go after RAW again. While sure Smackdown is doing better now, which "brand" does better 3 years from now is up to the whims of management which program they feel more inclined to stack the roster with.

Only logic I can see behind this is all things being equal that Friday night AD revenue is higher than Monday Night. All That being said if I can get Raw for less or equal the amount paid to Smackdown, I'll take the 3 hours of Raw.

On a sidenote, notice how since the WWe cashed out on Smackdown already, they put CM Punk on RAW.
Punk is going to be on Smackdown next week.

Smackdown is the more valued property not going up against NFL, but ultimately I see it that it came down to their price.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

Ehh. It does make sense when you consider TNT's schedule from October - May is consumed with the NBA and NHL on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, and they're not moving Dynamite to Monday or Friday to compete with WWE.

Yeah they can still bump AEW to TBS like they're doing now, but with RAW they can just run it on TNT on Mondays, get double the viewers AEW gets, and probably way more ad money considering the double viewers and WWE being a more family-friendly product.

That being said, I don't see it happening. I believe the speculation going around is that WBD has some sort of stake in AEW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad