2024 WWE Media Rights Dealings: Smackdown moving to USA in October 2024, Raw to Netflix in January 2025

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Or not. Apparently NBC is still the front runner to keep RAW, but the rights deal hasn't been agreed upon yet and both Disney and Amazon still sniffing about. New deal potentially could move RAW off Monday night.

Also the new smackdown deal was expensive.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Nah it's moving to USA. Crazy they were willing to pay more then Fox did just to put SD back on cable.

Either they expect it to maintain its network ratings or they don't care about the inevitable dip
WWE basically keeps USA alive for NBC, or it did before they shut down NBCSN.

The money is the money, and it’s not Vince’s true problem now, but it would disappoint him to be off network TV. We all knew this wouldn’t stick on Fox.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
WWE basically keeps USA alive for NBC, or it did before they shut down NBCSN.

The money is the money, and it’s not Vince’s true problem now, but it would disappoint him to be off network TV. We all knew this wouldn’t stick on Fox.

I think that's why they negotiated the four network specials on NBC as part of the deal.

We shall see where RAW ends up, but those rights which include NXT are also valued over a billion according to the WSJ

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think that's why they negotiated the four network specials on NBC as part of the deal.

We shall see where RAW ends up, but those rights which include NXT are also valued over a billion according to the WSJ
I would still bet they stay on USA, who is going to want to try to go up against Monday Night Football? The product is markedly better and the ratings are as bad as we’ve seen it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I would still bet they stay on USA, who is going to want to try to go up against Monday Night Football? The product is markedly better and the ratings are as bad as we’ve seen it.

Different article says NBCU is the frontrunner still, but they might move it off USA.

Also said that if a different company wins the rights they might move RAW off of Mondays

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
40% more money for less viewers but they have to fill content somehow. Less people watch shows on cable than networks - just look at NASCAR, for the most part the network races are consistently higher than the cable ones but really anyone with common sense already knew that. It has aired on FOX for a few years and things are more expensive now than they were that many years ago. Good for WWE to get paid, the show was always going to air somewhere so for the most part it doesn't really matter where is long as it's accessible to the majority of people and life goes on.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Different article says NBCU is the frontrunner still, but they might move it off USA.

Also said that if a different company wins the rights they might move RAW off of Mondays
With Peacock having streaming rights, it’s hard to see how valuable it is to anyone other than NBCU. Fox was not happy about having to promote it, that was the first indicator that they weren’t happy.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Brandon Thurston saying stock taking a big hit with the news. This was lower than anticipated.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
It's deals like this that make me feel like sometimes businessmen are only playing 2D chess and look simply at the dollar sign.

To me, even if Smackdown makes slightly less, stick with FOX on the main network. It'll draw the most eyes to your product which translates to money elsewhere. And right now, WWE's at a point where they're really starting to elevate a lot of guys and potentially have the strongest roster they've had in well over a decade. You should want to attract as many casual fans as you can.

But who knows, that's probably why these guys run a multi-billion dollar company and I work a 9-5.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
It's deals like this that make me feel like sometimes businessmen are only playing 2D chess and look simply at the dollar sign.

To me, even if Smackdown makes slightly less, stick with FOX on the main network. It'll draw the most eyes to your product which translates to money elsewhere. And right now, WWE's at a point where they're really starting to elevate a lot of guys and potentially have the strongest roster they've had in well over a decade. You should want to attract as many casual fans as you can.

But who knows, that's probably why these guys run a multi-billion dollar company and I work a 9-5.

Also possible that Fox really didn't want them back

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

That would be the most logical explanation for not going back, but I dunno if that'd be the case.

They regularly won 18-49 on Fridays and are supposed to be an advertising cash cow.

Side note: How hard does Triple H beg all involved parties to cut RAW to 2 hours lol.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That would be the most logical explanation for not going back, but I dunno if that'd be the case.

They regularly won 18-49 on Fridays and are supposed to be an advertising cash cow.

Side note: How hard does Triple H beg all involved parties to cut RAW to 2 hours lol.

They don't want to promote PPVs on Peacock, and they can still easily come out ahead putting something there that costs less even if it draws less

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
They don't want to promote PPVs on Peacock, and they can still easily come out ahead putting something there that costs less even if it draws less

I honestly don't think they care about promoting shit for another network if it's still making them money in the long run.

They either put it on their channel and it makes money while helping NBC make money too on the PPVs, or they let it go, it makes money for somebody else (Just so happens to be NBC) and still makes NBC money on the PPVs.

The latter is essentially cutting your own d*** off to try to hurt your neighbor. They're still doing just fine and you're now d***less.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

You can also get AEW, who have half the viewership and not pay 5x as much.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
You can also get AEW, who have half the viewership and not pay 5x as much.

AEW's viewership is more like a third of Smackdown and it's way less marketable because their talent is obsessed with blading and dropping F and S bombs multiple times a show. (I realize the fans do this in WWE, but that's kinda out of their control)

WWE is a way more advertiser friendly product than AEW.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
AEW's viewership is more like a third of Smackdown and it's way less marketable because their talent is obsessed with blading and dropping F and S bombs multiple times a show. (I realize the fans do this in WWE, but that's kinda out of their control)

WWE is a way more advertiser friendly product than AEW.
None of that has anything to do with anything. If it did, Turner would tell them to cut it out.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's about the bottom line, not the hard ratings.

Someone like Fox will have zero issue plugging something that draws less then Smackdown in that slot as long as they are getting massive savings on cost to air it.

Its why you get so many syndicated sitcoms all over the place. It's cheap as hell to air while still pulling a good enough rating.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
None of that has anything to do with anything. If it did, Turner would tell them to cut it out.

The language does make a difference, you can say things on cable that you can't on network, hell they have been running the Craig Robinson show where he kills snakes in florida after Raw in recent weeks and they have clearly said F*** several times.

American Dad moved to TBS and started swearing a good bit more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad