2024 WWE Media Rights Dealings: Smackdown moving to USA in October 2024, Raw to Netflix in January 2025

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
None of that has anything to do with anything. If it did, Turner would tell them to cut it out.
Meltzer has openly said in the past that despite AEW outrating the NHL, the NHL will sometimes boot them to TBS because Turner can make more off advertising with the NHL lol.

And from what I understand, Turner has, in the past, told AEW to cool it with the cussing.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The language does make a difference, you can say things on cable that you can't on network, hell they have been running the Craig Robinson show where he kills snakes in florida after Raw in recent weeks and they have clearly said F*** several times.

American Dad moved to TBS and started swearing a good bit more

They’re not getting a network deal though. If they were, they would cut it.

Meltzer has openly said in the past that despite AEW outrating the NHL, the NHL will sometimes boot them to TBS because Turner can make more off advertising with the NHL lol.

And from what I understand, Turner has, in the past, told AEW to cool it with the cussing.
NHL is a more ‘important’ property because it’s ‘real sports.’

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Do we know that? I’ve never heard that. Not saying it can’t be. Only thing I ever heard was that TNT was frustrated with ratings.

I'd have to do some hard digging for the clip, but right around the start of the 21-22 season when TNT's NHL rights kicked in, AEW got booted to TBS. There was some bitching by wrestling fans about it and Dave had mentioned that, even though AEW outrates the NHL, TNT will go with the NHL because it draws in better ad money.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It's that or Amazon. Benefit to Amazon is the PPVs would definitely finally be streamed and not be $50 a pop anymore.

Going stream only is obviously not ideal and a big risk, but if Amazon pays out the ass?
Why would Amazon pay out of the ass though? Who would bid against them and, most importantly, who would bid big?

WWE already has deals with NBC Universal and, in this scenario, with WBD. So these two are out. FOX just let Smackdown go, they would probably not go for a lesser brand. Disney? Unlikely, I think. They were on WWE, but I do not see the fit with AEW. Paramount? Meh.

Honestly, I do not think there will be a big appetite for AEW from the TV stations. Someone will pick them up because they do have good ratings. I do not see a major bidding war though. They have a small but loyal audience, but the growth opportunities are not really there.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
It's that or Amazon. Benefit to Amazon is the PPVs would definitely finally be streamed and not be $50 a pop anymore.

Going stream only is obviously not ideal and a big risk, but if Amazon pays out the ass?

That is assuming that the bidders who lose out on WWE have any interest in AEW, the WWE is a huge well known company with a track record, AEW is still a niche business, there is also the chance that they end up on some backwater channel like MLW or TNA have

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Realistically AEW is just going to stay on WBD on a new contract anyways lol
IF the WWE negotiations fall through, probably. They have a long history with wrestling and I'd think they'll want to continue that.

However, IF the rumors here are true, they don't appear to be the first choice.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I just don’t see going to Amazon working out for anybody selling live media rights. They do have NFL, but as usual, they play by different rules.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I just don’t see going to Amazon working out for anybody selling live media rights. They do have NFL, but as usual, they play by different rules.

Yeah I can't see that working unless Amazon just gave them so much money that they couldn't turn it down, do the Amazon NFL games get comparable ratings to the ones shown on cable like the NFL network?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah I can't see that working unless Amazon just gave them so much money that they couldn't turn it down, do the Amazon NFL games get comparable ratings to the ones shown on cable like the NFL network?
They keep saying they get around 14-15 million people and with a younger skew (average viewer is supposedly 47). But how much of that skew is older people who don’t feel like figuring out how to watch it? Theyre also not subject to Nielsen ratings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad