2024 “Tank” Thread

Where will the Ducks finish in the standings?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
We will be losing players and remember our current point total is inflated by the start of season form. We should be performing significantly worse than our current point total suggests

• Wow
Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
25 games are a lot. I don't think CBJ will get any better, I think the race is still pretty much open
yeah, I agree. One little hot streak after getting all of our guys back and we could pass up a CBJ that is losing every game as they tank for a better pick. The Ducks want to see their young guys actually perform so I think our mentality will be different than the other bottom feeders.

Reactions: Kalv

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
yeah, I agree. One little hot streak after getting all of our guys back and we could pass up a CBJ that is losing every game as they tank for a better pick. The Ducks want to see their young guys actually perform so I think our mentality will be different than the other bottom feeders.
After the TDL the Ducks will essentially be swapping Zegras in for Henrique out...not sure how much better that makes them (maybe even worse for a bit). Columbus will be getting Fantilli back in a few weeks so they'll be more competitive than they are now depending on who they trade at the TDL. I wouldn't mind both teams playing well down the stretch but still finishing at Ana 3 and Columbus 4 in the draft position race.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
Starting to wonder how much of the team's lack of improvement falls at Cronin's feet. Injuries and subpar talent notwithstanding, we are not getting better.

Reactions: Trojans86

eaterfan

Nov 29, 2023
25 games are a lot. I don't think CBJ will get any better, I think the race is still pretty much open

It's certainly not impossible to make up 5 points (even though they have a game in hand) on a very bad team, but it's pretty unlikely. To give you an example. If the Ducks played at a 1 point per game clip the rest of the way, about a 33% improvement over the current pace, they would finish with 67 points. The Blue Jackets playing at their current pace would finish with 69 points. If the Blue Jackets play at the Ducks current pace they would finish with 66.5 points. Rounding up, that would be tied with the Ducks (assuming the same 33% improvement from the Ducks). Nothing is written in stone, but I'd imagine it's similar to being up 6 points in basketball with 1-2 minutes left.

It’s crazy to think that our 43 point total after 58 games is inflated but it definitely is. This team is a lot more disappointing than last year’s team. They should not be this bad.
I am a little disappointed, but the injuries have just been killer this year. How many games have been missed between Zegras, Drysdale, Carlsson, Killorn, Minty, and McTavish? I'm not saying this would be a playoff team, and every team deals with some injuries, but this is a lot of injuries to a lot of the key players.

Reactions: AngelDuck and Kalv

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I am a little disappointed, but the injuries have just been killer this year. How many games have been missed between Zegras, Drysdale, Carlsson, Killorn, Minty, and McTavish? I'm not saying this would be a playoff team, and every team deals with some injuries, but this is a lot of injuries to a lot of the key players.
I don't think we've had a single game this season where we had a full lineup. Have we had a game with Carlsson, Killorn, Zegras, Terry, and McTavish all in the lineup? I assume some combination of them with Vatrano would be our top 6, so no games with it fully intact?

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Starting to wonder how much of the team's lack of improvement falls at Cronin's feet. Injuries and subpar talent notwithstanding, we are not getting better.
I find myself thinking this as well. The fact they cant make simple plays and their effort is all over the place is concerning to me a IMO is a coaching issue. The team has not developed much under a "development" coach.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I don’t blame Cronin, and it’s hard to rebuild without a healthy lineup.

I knew it was going to be a disaster though when we had bush penciled in our top 4 with a bunch of rookies.

And that’s with gudas playing like a top 4 which honestly I don’t think we should be counting on.

We need a superstar defenseman to anchor this group and get healthy. We will be a different team.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Todays win isn't ideal since we are now only 4 points behind OTT and 3 points behind CBJ.

Losing Henrique and Carrick should have an impact so we shall see how we go in the last 20 games of the year.

Ottawa wants an RD so we want to pick before them.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
It’s looking more and more likely that this team will go into the lottery with the 3rd best odds. The only remaining game against a true bottom feeder is one more against Chicago. All the other games are against teams that are still in the playoff race or in the playoff picture.

Reactions: McDonald19

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I'm so fed up with this team by now. We have endured six years of complete horse shit by now, and it just keeps on getting worse. We need a complete overhaul in coaching staff, and that includes the medical staff as well. Bring in some face punchers and throw actual cash at top FAs for once.
It is so hard to watch. Next year I hope we truly go for it. This year feels like we used the injuries as an excuse to mail it in.

eaterfan

Nov 29, 2023
Keeping him likely would have as well.
Yup.

On 2/21 I made a post in this thread saying a loss to them likely keeps the Ducks in the 3 spot for lottery odds because Columbus would be up 4 points with 2 games fewer played Ottowa was up 7 points and Chicago and San Jose were something like 7-9 points. Fast forward 3 weeks and CBJ is up 5 points but made up the two games, Ottowa is still 7 points up, and San Jose and Chicago are 8 and 10 points behind the Ducks.

It's really hard to make up points. This team maybe could have caught CBJ with Henrique, but it's doubtful.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Not much excitement to tank this year. Pretty much no chance to catch SJ or Chicago unless they go on an insane streak (for them) at the same time as the Ducks lose like 5 straight.

Just keep the #3 spot and we are good.

Reactions: Terry Yake

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I'm so fed up with this team by now. We have endured six years of complete horse shit by now, and it just keeps on getting worse. We need a complete overhaul in coaching staff, and that includes the medical staff as well. Bring in some face punchers and throw actual cash at top FAs for once.
that won't happen as long as the cheap ass samuelis own the team

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
this sums it all up. they're too busy with acquiring real estate and more concerned with ocvibe (awful name btw) to worry about their bottom feeding hockey team. one stanley cup and a few conference final appearances were enough for them to get bored.

• Haha
Reactions: gilfaizon

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I dont think they are that cheap.. If they were. They would have sold the team off a while ago.. Not invest in building upgrades.. ETC.. I just think they intrust the spending to much in the GM.. Verbeek better bring in Quality NHLers this offseason... our fanbase has had enough of this crap.. And I think the Verbeek and the owners all understand that now..

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I dont think they are that cheap.. If they were. They would have sold the team off a while ago.. Not invest in building upgrades.. ETC.. I just think they intrust the spending to much in the GM.. Verbeek better bring in Quality NHLers this offseason... our fanbase has had enough of this crap.. And I think the Verbeek and the owners all understand that now..
how about putting some of that money into the team instead of arena renovations and ocvibe? we all know the samuelis aren't exactly struggling financially

its pretty apparent that they see the ducks as just another source of income. as long as the team is bringing in $$$, they're content. no playoffs for 6 years now? damn, that sucks......but hey, at least we're still profiting

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Trading Henrique pretty much ensures a top 5 pick I guess.

Trading Rico AND losing Lyubushkin ensures a top-5 pick. Both of these guys were staples on our PK unit. Since the TDL (Mar 8th), we have given up 8 goals on the PK out of 16 TSH. We are now ranked 29th in the league for PK efficiency. Brett Thompson is our defensive and PK coach this year.

I recall last year around the TDL. Rico got injured four games before the TDL and missed a total of 19 games. Then we traded both D Klingberg and D Kulikov. Rico and Kulikov were part of the PK unit. In the chart below, the last game set is from the TDL to the end of the season productions. Stothers was our defensive and PK coach last year.

Ducks2022-23PK
Game SetGames.PK GATSHPK Eff
Total827828072.1%
1 to 25
25​
318965.2%
26 to 49
24​
178179.0%
50 to 61
12​
104477.3%
62 to 82
21​
206669.7%

Reactions: Kalv

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
how about putting some of that money into the team instead of arena renovations and ocvibe? we all know the samuelis aren't exactly struggling financially

its pretty apparent that they see the ducks as just another source of income. as long as the team is bringing in $$$, they're content. no playoffs for 6 years now? damn, that sucks......but hey, at least we're still profiting

Because money doesn't win Stanley Cups. Smart management of the day-to-day leads to long-term success which will give Anaheim multiple chances at a Stanley Cup in the long-run. Throwing money in FA (i'm assuming your implication) is not how you rebuild, and its been proven time and time again. When the time is right to add, the owners will add. Bob operated at the cap for many years.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Because money doesn't win Stanley Cups. Smart management of the day-to-day leads to long-term success which will give Anaheim multiple chances at a Stanley Cup in the long-run. Throwing money in FA (i'm assuming your implication) is not how you rebuild, and its been proven time and time again. When the time is right to add, the owners will add. Bob operated at the cap for many years.
money isn't the sole factor in teams winning cups, but it plays a big role. recent cup winners like vegas, avs, and bolts all had top 10 payrolls

this team has stockpiled enough young talent that throwing money at a big name FA in the next couple years wouldn't really be a bad idea. zegras, carlsson, mctavish, mintyukov, and gauthier is a pretty damn good foundation. plus whoever they're going to draft top 5 this year. if they handed out a big contract 3-4 years ago, that would've been stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad