2024 “Tank” Thread

Where will the Ducks finish in the standings?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I'm fking fuming. We should not even be in the conversation yet here we are. As of now this franchise has let it's fans down

Reactions: McDonald19

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
I'm fking fuming. We should not even be in the conversation yet here we are. As of now this franchise has let it's fans down
Why are you fuming? You predicted we would finish 29-32 based on the above poll. To beat your prediction we only needed to win 5 extra games so far this year to put us 27th. We probably would have achieved that with a healthy list.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
no point in even hoping for a last place finish when we all know this franchise will never get a #1 pick

can't wait to see the hawks draft celebrini

Reactions: lwvs84 and MCB

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
I actually have a weird feeling that we somehow get him
Nah. And I'm too annoyed to pretend the league doesn't actively twist some hands in the lottery. They need the big markets to be profitable, and Chicago became a shit show about three years ago. They handed this stinker of a franchise Beard on a silver platter, will retain #1 selection this year, and will win either 2025 (Misa) or 2026 (McKenna) again.

Yeah, yeah, I know...but a big corpo oversees the lottery and they would have much more to lose yada yada yada. If companies like Boeing can get away with murder, quite literally, what do you think these of companies could get away with easily?

/RANT

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Why are you fuming? You predicted we would finish 29-32 based on the above poll. To beat your prediction we only needed to win 5 extra games so far this year to put us 27th. We probably would have achieved that with a healthy list.
Well I guess because I was hoping they would take a huge step. Injuries are part of it offcourse

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Well I guess because I was hoping they would take a huge step. Injuries are part of it offcourse
We all want playoffs now haha

The thing that keeps me patient is knowing how young our key position players are:
Our 1C is 18 (Carlsson)
Our 2C is 21 (McTavish)
Our (projected) 1D is 20 (Minty)

These guys need a few more years before they can carry us into playoffs

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006

The thing that keeps me patient is knowing how young our key position players are:
Our 1C is 18 (Carlsson)
Our 2C is 21 (McTavish)

I thought Carlson turned 19. But I get you lol

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Nah. And I'm too annoyed to pretend the league doesn't actively twist some hands in the lottery. They need the big markets to be profitable, and Chicago became a shit show about three years ago. They handed this stinker of a franchise Beard on a silver platter, will retain #1 selection this year, and will win either 2025 (Misa) or 2026 (McKenna) again.

Yeah, yeah, I know...but a big corpo oversees the lottery and they would have much more to lose yada yada yada. If companies like Boeing can get away with murder, quite literally, what do you think these of companies could get away with easily?

/RANT

The difference here is that this would be billionaires (nhl, Chicago ownership) screwing over their billionaire business partners (the Samuelis) which is a no go

Reactions: HunterDuck

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
The difference here is that this would be billionaires (nhl, Chicago ownership) screwing over their billionaire business partners (the Samuelis) which is a no go
I think they did rig it for Chicago. But like you said. It's all about ratings. But something tells they might give the ducks celbrini this year. Just as a here is your first time #1 overall pick. Now shut up about bedard kind of deal

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I think they did rig it for Chicago. But like you said. It's all about ratings. But something tells they might give the ducks celbrini this year. Just as a here is your first time #1 overall pick. Now shut up about bedard kind of deal
I didn’t say anything about ratings

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone

Our 1C is 18 (Carlsson)
Our 2C is 21 (McTavish)

Yeah when have we ever seen guys that young as a playoff team's best players? There's a reason you don't see it happen, because if those are your most talented players, your veteran depth players aren't that great, and the young guys likely aren't good enough to shoulder the entire load yet.

Good example would be the Nords ... by 91-92 they already had Sakic, Sundin, Nolan, Leschyshyn, and Foote playing, but they still were all young and the team was godawful at 20-48-12. That's two 1OA dudes, a 3OA pick, along with two later first round steals, and it still wasn't yielding results. It wasn't until the Lindros trade that brought in an even bigger haul (Forsberg, Duchesne, Ricci, Hextall, Simon) that they finally got good the next year.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i don't think it's rigged exactly, but it's safe to say that some teams are just luckier than others when it comes to the lottery. the ducks have had no luck whatsoever in the lottery throughout their history. same with the sharks. meanwhile, you have teams like the hawks, oilers, and devils who always see the ball drop in their favor. same thing with the spurs in the NBA, they've drafted #1 overall 3 times and each time its been a generational, future HOF talent at # 1

if it truly was rigged, what was stopping the league from rigging it for the coyotes in 2015 so they could get mcdavid? and what reason would they have to give the oilers of all teams 3 straight #1 picks?

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
i don't think it's rigged exactly, but it's safe to say that some teams are just luckier than others when it comes to the lottery. the ducks have had no luck whatsoever in the lottery throughout their history. same with the sharks. meanwhile, you have teams like the hawks, oilers, and devils who always see the ball drop in their favor. same thing with the spurs in the NBA, they've drafted #1 overall 3 times and each time its been a generational, future HOF talent at # 1

if it truly was rigged, what was stopping the league from rigging it for the coyotes in 2015 so they could get mcdavid? and what reason would they have to give the oilers of all teams 3 straight #1 picks?
The other problem is the perception with the teams that are being lucky. It's all bigger market teams for the most part (and the Sabers) that are getting the luck. If (when?) it swings the other way, it'll be fans of bigger teams complaining.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
The other problem is the perception with the teams that are being lucky. It's all bigger market teams for the most part (and the Sabers) that are getting the luck. If (when?) it swings the other way, it'll be fans of bigger teams complaining.

Yeah I just don't buy the rigging thing. You're talking about a lone sampling done once a year, there's bound to be clumps in a truly random distribution over a relatively small sample size of a decade or so. The NHL lottery hasn't been going on long enough, really ... we're talking about something that's only gone on for 30 years under any format, never mind just the present rules. That's a tiny data set as far as sampling goes.

Besides, it's not the market/team that you have to look at, it's the odds for a given slot. Is the distribution of lottery wins out of whack for every particular lottery position, for the given sample size? I'm guessing it's still within the realm of what is expected from chance.

It's like all the NBA fans who ever since the Ewing draft have been accusing the league of rigging it in favor of big markets .... but if they really are doing so then they must truly suck at it, considering NY hasn't won in around a half century.

Reactions: lwvs84

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah I just don't buy the rigging thing. You're talking about a lone sampling done once a year, there's bound to be clumps in a truly random distribution over a relatively small sample size of a decade or so. The NHL lottery hasn't been going on long enough, really ... we're talking about something that's only gone on for 30 years under any format, never mind just the present rules. That's a tiny data set as far as sampling goes.

Besides, it's not the market/team that you have to look at, it's the odds for a given slot. Is the distribution of lottery wins out of whack for every particular lottery position, for the given sample size? I'm guessing it's still within the realm of what is expected from chance.

It's like all the NBA fans who ever since the Ewing draft have been accusing the league of rigging it in favor of big markets .... but if they really are doing so then they must truly suck at it, considering NY hasn't won in around a half century.
Yeah, NBA you could argue are skewed the other way. So many small market teams winning (probably also because those are the teams that are perennially bad). So many #1 picks by teams like the Cavs, Wolves, Magic, etc. Hopefully there's a run like that soon, where it's teams like the Ducks, Coyotes, etc. that start winning

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
So Chicago have won 7 of their last 12 games. They now only need 2 more wins to pass us.

If we had lost to them in our previous game they would have already passed us in the standings.

With 8 more games to go its realistic for us to have the second best odds in the lottery.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
So Chicago have won 7 of their last 12 games. They now only need 2 more wins to pass us.

If we had lost to them in our previous game they would have already passed us in the standings.

With 8 more games to go its realistic for us to have the second best odds in the lottery.
Ew.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Which would ensure we don't drop lower than #4. Although, the team that finishes with the 2nd worst record hasn't moved up nor stayed at #2 since the multi-draw lottery era that started in 2016. During the recent single draw lottery before the multi-draw era, the #2 team moved up to #1 on three occasions. (Source)

2012: Edmonton moved up from #2 to #1
2013: Colorado moved up from #2 to #1
2014: Florida moved up from #2 to #1

Holy crap, batman! Between 2010 - 2015 (6 drafts), the Oil landed the #1 pick three times: once with the worst record (2010, Taylor Hall), once moving up from #2 (2012, Nail Yakupov), and once moving up from #3 (2015, Connor McDavid).

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
Chicago plays nothing but teams battling for playoff positions. It’s going to be hard for them to get wins. Even if we lose out the rest of the way again, it’ll be tough to move to #2.

A loss tomorrow clinches a bottom 4 finish.
Tragic number for #3 is 9 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Chicago is going to pass us in both the standings and in the lottery :laugh:

I think they have a shot to beat/get points versus the Islanders, Wild, Blues. The rest I have zero faith.

We have two more against the Flames where we could get some points as well.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
no point in even keeping up with the standings. we all know they'll drop in the lottery like always

if they finish 3rd worst, expect to pick 4th or 5th

Reactions: MCB

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
I honestly and wholeheartedly believe that if neither San José nor Anaheim nor Columbus nor Phoenix win the lottery this season, that there ought to be more than enough circumstantial evidence for the authorities to take a long and deep look at the NHL's draft lottery.

This isn't a game-changing draft by any means and Celebrini looks like a run-of-the-mill first overall player, but watch this pick being handed to an original six franchise or big market franchise anyway. Chicago, Montréal and Pittsburgh will probably have more balls in the lottery than all other non-playoff teams combined.

I literally have zero faith in the integrity of this league whatsoever by now.

HunterDuck

Jan 18, 2015
OC Vibe
Isn’t there a rule that a team can’t win #1OA three times in a row?

I’ve read it doesn’t apply to the Ducks last year since they didn’t move up. But Chicago can only win it one more time

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Isn’t there a rule that a team can’t win #1OA three times in a row?

I’ve read it doesn’t apply to the Ducks last year since they didn’t move up. But Chicago can only win it one more time
A team can only win it twice in a 5-year period. So if Chicago were to win it this season, they couldn't win another for at least 3 years.

Reactions: HunterDuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad