2024 “Tank” Thread

Where will the Ducks finish in the standings?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
The Ducks are entering 2024 in 30th place, good for the 3rd best odds in the NHL draft lottery. While they started strong in October, they did not have a November to Remember, and their December left a lot to be desired. The main purpose of this thread, in my opinion will be to discuss where the Ducks will finish in the standings and the resulting implications for draft day and the Ducks future. Above will be a poll to share where you think the Ducks will finish in the standings.

The Jackpot and Consulation Prizes

The main prize this year and consensus 1st overall projection is Macklin Celebrini. A smart skilled Center with solid goal scoring instincts and high playmaking sense. He has excelled in the NCAA this year putting up a very notable season for a 17 year old in College hockey. As well as he is currently putting on a strong performance at the U20 WJC, with 6 points in 3 games played so far. Should be noted he is also rather young for this class, with a mid-June birthday.

From Elite Prospects: “Not quite halfway through the college season, Macklin Celebrini has already amassed 10 goals and 15 assists. The presumptive No. 1 pick at this summer’s draft is a mastermind. He outthinks the opposition in all three zones, anticipating plays well in advance and manipulating defenders with fast-twitch handling and edge work. Relentless inside attacks and attention to detail will earn the coaching staff's trust.“

Other noted rewards for finishing in the bottom 10 include:

Cole Eiserman: potentially will be a record setting goal scorer for the NTDP, surpassing notable names such as Cole Caufield and Auston Matthews. Has been criticized for being one dimensional.

Ivan Demidov: Dynamic Russian winger with superb stick handling and creativity. Often mentioned as being one of the future Russian greats, however he does have some contract concerns and has displayed low effort at times this year, though many contribute this to being relegated to the Russian Junior league.

Artyom Levshunov: a 6’2” Belarusian defender playing in the NCAA. Has played at a point per game pace for Michigan State and has led them to becoming a very competitive team. Has played at a point per game pace, while displaying an advanced two way game.

Cayden Lindstrom: A personal favorite of mine. A 6’4” power forward with immense physical gifts. Possess a large frame, strength with more room for future bulking, and surprising speed and maneuverability for a player of his size. He has one of the best shots in the draft, good stick handling, and the ability to crash the net and enforce his will in the crease. Has been noted as being a bit raw at times, as well as potentially not the greatest play driver.

Anton Silayev: A 6’7” Russian defender, has found success in the KHL as a draft eligible defenseman after a hot start. Has cooled off offensively but has hung around, playing capably in the KHL as a draft eligible defender and being 6’7” pretty much sells itself to GMs.

Sam Dickinson: A 6’3 Canadian Defenseman. Has displayed a very advanced 2-way game, as well as a physical game. A defenseman that does everything a coach wants.

Konsta Helenius: Has been an offfensive threat in Liiga, and has been one of the best players for his pro team. He also possesses a strong 2 way game, and high hockey IQ.

What factors could move them up in the standings?

Health: the Ducks have lacked a fully healthy roster all season, often they have been missing two top 6 forwards and one top 4 defender at a given time. As well as some depth players missing some significant time. This has resulted in some rather depleted rosters with limited threats, making them easy to shutdown.

Strength of Schedule: The Ducks have the third easiest remaining schedule, when average out the points percentage of their remaining opponents. It’s not unlikely they could beat up on the other bottom feeders and climb up a few rungs.
IMG_2829.jpeg

Goaltending: The Ducks have two very capable goaltenders who can steal/ keep them in games.

Kids getting hot: Many players have yet to take off, doing so could propel this team a few slots upwards in the standings, notable players who have been cold include Troy Terry and Trevor Zegras.

Shooting percentage: The Ducks currently have the second worst shooting percentage in the league, 6.75% from money puck. Regressing to the mean could bring them some wins.

What can keep them down in the standings?

Health: has been an issue all year, could easily continue to be. Even currently, Lundestrom is still out, Carlsson out for a month or more, and Terry and Gudas are day to day (allegedly).

Trade deadline selling: Likely pieces like Henrique and Lybushkin will be gone, potentially Carrick. Maybe even a sell high piece with term like Vatrano. Losing these pieces, while not stars, would expose the lack of depth even further. But the biggest piece that could move is Gibson, losing a solid goaltender could expose many more issues with this team.

Vibes: When things are bad they don’t always have to get better, morale could be very low.

Where do I think they will finish?

I’m going to say they will finish in the 5-8 range. I don’t think they will improve a ton but these last two months were abysmal, and as the team hopefully progresses to a more healthy line up a think they pick up their play a bit and move a few slots up. Especially as they enter contests against more fellow bottom feeders.

Edit: I am getting rather tired of their placement in the standings, it’s annoying that it’s been so long of thinking how close they are to the bottom, rather than how far from the top they are.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Ottawa picked up 3 of 4 possible points on the weekend and are now at 35 points, 4 points ahead with 4 games in hand. Columbus is really the only other realistic catchable team, otherwise we’re finishing bottom-3 again and are almost certainly staring at another top 5 pick.

Really did not think we’d be doing this again this year, but here we are. Painful

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I said around Christmas that I see rough seas for the next few months and with the injuries I’m sure that’ll continue. I except them to be awfully bad for another couple months but I do think they’ll finish a lot stronger than last year.

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
Currently on pace for less points than last season. San Jose has just been that much worse. Outside of a historical collapse by a team above us, a top five pick is pretty much locked in.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Last year it was imperative that the Ducks get a top 3 pick and they did (thankfully). This year that urgency isn't there but it would be very nice to pick in the top 5 which would guarantee one of Celebrini, Lindstrom, Levshunov, Dickinson, or Silayev.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I want to see them play well and wins won’t be a mixed feeling this year. Last year, I sadly found myself happy with a loss the last 1/4. I don’t ever want that again

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
I cannot take this crap anymore. Thousands of dollars wasted on season tickets every year. This better be the last year we are bottom dwellers. Just give Fowler more minutes and keep the tank rolling.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Our organization / management needs to wear this and quite frankly in my opinion we are approaching the point where we don’t deserve any more top 5 picks

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
The tank began the moment we traded Drysdale for a prospect. Verbeek is going to sell again at the deadline this year and we're finishing at the bottom whether we like it or not.

But I'm tired of losing. I'm tired of going to Ducks games and having it always feel like a home game for visiting teams. After this season we need to start winning again, or else I don't know how we end up keeping any of our young players we're drafting. Who would want to play for a team this bad that loses every night with empty seats in the building? It's pathetic.

Reactions: Fairwinds

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Our organization / management needs to wear this and quite frankly in my opinion we are approaching the point where we don’t deserve any more top 5 picks
You won't see me defending PV or management very often but I will in this case.

Unfortunately, this is what a rebuild looks like for 2nd tier NHL teams...especially in California. The team is not going to attract premium free agents and if they do they'll have to overpay which is a death wish in a cap league. Trades for top players in their prime are difficult b/c all the Ducks have to offer are their future stars or top 5 picks. Drafting is the best way to build a contender but it is a slow process and youth must be served. The good news is that the team has a core of future NHL stars that are going to mature over the next 1-2 years. The bad news is that it is a slow process and the organization is going to have to make better selections outside of the top 10. And they'll need some lottery ball luck which they've never had (this would be a good year to get lucky though).

The Kings were able to avoid a total teardown but with their aging core they'll never win a SC. The irony is that their fanbase HATES their team and criticizes management for NOT doing a total rebuild. Other teams like Calgary and Nashville never rebuild but they are never much better than average. Pick your poison. If the Ducks draft wisely in the next couple of years they could be a legit SC contender in 3-4 years. But it is going to take that long unfortunately.

Best to just enjoy the ride and hope the Ducks draft their way into a contender. That they won't is my biggest fear.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
The tank began the moment we traded Drysdale for a prospect. Verbeek is going to sell again at the deadline this year and we're finishing at the bottom whether we like it or not.

But I'm tired of losing. I'm tired of going to Ducks games and having it always feel like a home game for visiting teams. After this season we need to start winning again, or else I don't know how we end up keeping any of our young players we're drafting. Who would want to play for a team this bad that loses every night with empty seats in the building? It's pathetic.

More like the tank began when the onslaught of injuries to key players did.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The Kings were able to avoid a total teardown but with their aging core they'll never win a SC. The irony is that their fanbase HATES their team and criticizes management for NOT doing a total rebuild. Other teams like Calgary and Nashville never rebuild but they are never much better than average. Pick your poison. If the Ducks draft wisely in the next couple of years they could be a legit SC contender in 3-4 years. But it is going to take that long unfortunately.
I've been wanting to make a post about this for a few days now but couldn't think of how to word it. People need to look no further than 30 miles North to see what happens when you force your way out of a rebuild too soon, and go and check out the Kings board (look, don't touch!) to see how that fanbase feels about their management. They avoided the playoff drought we did but have a ceiling no higher than a first round win (and haven't even done that in damn near 10 years) and are desperately throwing away all the young assets they've acquired to try to raise that ceiling to no avail. It's tough but if you want to see another cup raised by this team there's no other option but to keep doing what we are doing. This season went much worse than it should have because of injuries, the goal of course when our rebuild is complete is to be deep enough with talent that injuries won't throw our season off the road but we simply aren't there yet.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
We are year 3 of the Verbeek rebuild. So expect 2 more years of missing playoffs before we push to be competitive.

I expect we improve next year placing about 20-25 with another improvement the following year before we properly compete for playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad