2023 Trade Deadline and Speculation (March 3, 2023 3PM ET)

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'd give up Stankoven for Keller. Imo Keller is what we hope Stankoven becomes. He's insanely good. If he gets moved tho we'd almost certainly be outbid. Keller is the type of guy I could see putting this team over the top. Won't happen tho

I'm not saying I wouldn't either. But why not both???

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The Athletic blurb in OP doesn't make any sense with their reasoning. Bichsel is available because the Stars have depth at LHD? They don't seem to be aware that he plays on the right side and was specifically drafted to be Miro's long-term partner.
But will the NHL club allow him to play the right side? The Stars seem extremely committed to the lefty-righty thing on defense.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I would bump him before Glendening. Glendening offers more. Both can’t score unless kivi is playing Colorado in the playoffs.
The numbers say kivi is better at 5 v 5 and on the PK this year. marginally, but he makes less. and cant discount goals- they win games.

Reactions: Elysian

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Doing nothing is probably in Dallas' best interest. The guys Dallas is rumored to be in on (Kane and Bertuzzi) will be expected to lift up Seguin and Marchment. That's not gonna happen. They need help on the backend because wouldn't you know it; your blueline can't drive play with just one guy controlling all three zones. But Nill is all about loyalty, and he's not about to drive out somebody's spot or contract prematurely. That's also not gonna happen.

Pick up Bjugstadt and call it a day. It's not gonna make a difference, but at least it's value added.

Reactions: ugrakarma

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
Doing nothing is probably in Dallas' best interest. The guys Dallas is rumored to be in on (Kane and Bertuzzi) will be expected to lift up Seguin and Marchment. That's not gonna happen. They need help on the backend because wouldn't you know it; your blueline can't drive play with just one guy controlling all three zones. But Nill is all about loyalty, and he's not about to drive out somebody's spot or contract prematurely. That's also not gonna happen.

Pick up Bjugstadt and call it a day. It's not gonna make a difference, but at least it's value added.
I think Kane will help Seguin and marchment. The issue is cost. I don’t want to send a ton or the very valuable assets. Bertuzzi is not what this team needs. Dallas needs another playmaker. Not a guy who needs someone to set him up.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
Yup, go ask debrincat how much he misses Kane. Kane will drastically improve the scoring on this team. Defensively? Yeah he not good at that end. Seguin however, is not bad in his own zone.

Injuries are a concern. As is the price tag. I am not a fan of going after Kane. But he will improve the scoring especially on the second line if he ends up on that line. I would rather throw in some chips for Konecny.

Reactions: BfantZ

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
The reason not to trade for Kane is he might be outrageously expensive or he might not have any interest in Dallas, not because he's bad at hockey.

Reactions: roryjones

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Yup, go ask debrincat how much he misses Kane. Kane will drastically improve the scoring on this team. Defensively? Yeah he not good at that end. Seguin however, is not bad in his own zone.

Injuries are a concern. As is the price tag. I am not a fan of going after Kane. But he will improve the scoring especially on the second line if he ends up on that line. I would rather throw in some chips for Konecny.

Yup. And go ask DeBrincat if he can give Marchment and Seguin his secret recipe on how to be an elite shooter.

Kane will improve the amount of goals Dallas can score because they'll just stick him on the power play. He will not, however, improve the team's offense if he's out on the ice with Marchment and Seguin at even strength because that line won't be in the offensive zone enough.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I just don't think Kane's offensive contributes will outweigh the cost of acquisition & how bad he is defensively. Kane on the powerplay would be great, but I don;'t like him 5on5 on this team at all.

Reactions: David Castillo

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Wishlist in order:
Meier
Konecny
Kane
Boeser
Domi
Bertuzzi
I don’t care after that.
Pretty sure Meier tops DeBoer's wishlist as well. He may have held back Meier for years by limiting his TOI and PP-time but at least in the beginning much of it was probably due to Meier suffering from mono. Also, Meier hinted in interviews that he enjoyed playing for DeBoer way more than he did for Boughner. Meier is the ideal player for DeBoer's system. The only question is if the Stars are prepared to engage in a bidding war for Meier. However, if I'm right about Meier wanting to play for DeBoer that might give the Stars an edge over certain other teams because whoever wins the Meier sweepstakes also has to sign the player. With his qualifying offer, that won't be very easy despite him being RFA.

Last edited:
Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Meier is another guy who is going to get a top return for good reason, but the result will be to take one more buyer off the table.

I don't think Kane nabs a big return, but GMs sometimes have a thing about talking themselves into an older guy still having something in the tank.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
I'd rather acquire someone than no one. If you're first in your conference and don't try and improve your team, what are you even doing? Might be our last chance for a while with some of our old guys having decent years
Amen

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Dallas could win the Cup if they added Meier, no doubt.

Current team is good enough to win the west.. Current team plus Meier is good enough to beat a team like Boston/Toronto/Carolina/Rangers in a 7 game series.

He'd be the perfect add for sure...but, acknowledge the loss to future direction if we weren't to win the Cup (or make the finals) would be high, the logistics around being unable to resign would be high as well....Makes it highly unlikely.

So my frame of mind is getting ready for an addition, but probably a B level addition.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'd rather acquire someone than no one. If you're first in your conference and don't try and improve your team, what are you even doing? Might be our last chance for a while with some of our old guys having decent years
100% agree.

And also don't let prospect brain result in paralysis about making strides to accomplishing more today. No one wants to hear it, but this list of almost ten untouchable prospects includes guys who aren't going to make it as NHL players. Some of those guys are at the peak of their value for their whole hockey career where trading them now will ultimately be the wisest move to cash in on their potential.

Now, if you ask me to name which guys I'm talking about, I can't. Maybe Nill and the front office have some secret doubts about guys. But no one really knows. One reason to keep all of your scratch off tickets is because your odds of finding winners goes up the more you have, but you also know the odds are near zero that all of your tickets are winners.

Dallas could win the Cup if they added Meier, no doubt.

Current team is good enough to win the west.. Current team plus Meier is good enough to beat a team like Boston/Toronto/Carolina/Rangers in a 7 game series.

He'd be the perfect add for sure...but, acknowledge the loss to future direction if we weren't to win the Cup (or make the finals) would be high, the logistics around being unable to resign would be high as well....Makes it highly unlikely.

So my frame of mind is getting ready for an addition, but probably a B level addition.
Meier is a difficult guy to add because the Stars can't afford to sign him to an extension but they'd be bidding against teams who are going to be willing to offer him that extension.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Acquiring Meier probably means Bourque is gone at the minimum, along with other good pieces.

Probably worth it tbh

Reactions: starsfan86

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
It would definitely be worth it. I think it would cost Stankoven though.
Probably, and I'm not sure if that's the right play. Fitting in Meier's contract onto this roster will be extremely tough as long as we have Benn & Seguin against our cap. Keeping Stank who is going to be on an ELC will be huge in building a cup team, and allowing Nill to spend that cap while having possibly two ELC players putting up 60ish points (Johnston and Stank). That in itself is probably worth the risk and passing on a player like Timo.

What scares me is going after Meier and all of a sudden next year Benn and Seguin falter back to their struggling ways after this season, Pavs begins his decline (which we're starting to see a bit this year) and now we're screwed with no way of adding players to help our core forwards.

To me Stank is one of those guys that should not be moved. Nill did a tremendous job of building an incredible core of young players/prospects. They should be given a shot to blossom as a group because they have the potential of turning the next era into a dynasty.

Last edited:
Reactions: starsfan86

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I also wonder if Gags would really want them to trade away Stankoven or if there is some pride there in having a your NHL team draft a player from your WHL team and that player become something in the nhl.

Reactions: Elysian

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Trading Stankoven would make me so mad. He would be making a comparable impact to many of the players that could be traded for and he’s only in junior because of Guryanov clogging a roster spot and Gaglardi owning his junior team.

Reactions: LT and Elysian

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
And also don't let prospect brain result in paralysis about making strides to accomplishing more today. No one wants to hear it, but this list of almost ten untouchable prospects includes guys who aren't going to make it as NHL players. Some of those guys are at the peak of their value for their whole hockey career where trading them now will ultimately be the wisest move to cash in on their potential.

I'm a huge fan of these prospects (Bourque especially) but agreed. It's easy to take for granted high first round and second round picks like Robertson and Johnston and act like everyone else is gonna follow in their footsteps. Still. This is Nill we're talking about. When they made the Spezza trade, he pumped Nick Paul's tires like he was the next Ryan O'Reilly. Granted, Paul turned into a solid depth player. But still.

Reactions: LT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad