2023 Trade Deadline and Speculation (March 3, 2023 3PM ET)

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I might be the only one that wouldn't have done the Ghost trade. I'd prefer Harley to get that postseason experience if the player is going to be that underwhelming.

I didn't want Ghost either, I think he's the typical deadline acquisition that goes from looking like a good player on a bad team to a bad player on a good team. Plus, bringing him in means Lundkvist eats a bunch of scratches and Miro has to play on the right.

That's exactly my thought

There's gonna be a ton of buyers remorse out East

I bet it's going to be just like 2007 as talked about in this thread. The team that wins will probably be one that didn't do much, either the Canes or someone from the West.

Reactions: Elysian

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I didn't want Ghost either, I think he's the typical deadline acquisition that goes from looking like a good player on a bad team to a bad player on a good team. Plus, bringing him in means Lundkvist eats a bunch of scratches and Miro has to play on the right.
Ghost is pretty good on the right side, he's played there with Chychrun most of this year and the best stretch of his career was playing on the right side with Provorov.

Now we didn't have the cap space for Ghost, so it would've been a very different deadline.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I think Jake McCabe is still the big "what if" acquisition for me.

The guy was +7 on a team with a -70 goal differential. He was 2nd on the team in blocked shots, 3rd in hits. Best fancy stats amongst Blackhawk defenders. 20 points in 55 games for a shutdown D without any power play time is really solid too. It's been a reoccurring theme of his to get really incredible results on really bad teams. With retained salary he's now at $2 million a season until 2026 so I think he has an argument for both "most underrated" and "best contract" over the next few years.

McCabe @ $2 million + Domi for futures and cap dumps? Man, it would have been sweet.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I think Jake McCabe is still the big "what if" acquisition for me.

The guy was +7 on a team with a -70 goal differential. He was 2nd on the team in blocked shots, 3rd in hits. Best fancy stats amongst Blackhawk defenders. 20 points in 55 games for a shutdown D without any power play time is really solid too. It's been a reoccurring theme of his to get really incredible results on really bad teams. With retained salary he's now at $2 million a season until 2026 so I think he has an argument for both "most underrated" and "best contract" over the next few years.

McCabe @ $2 million + Domi for futures and cap dumps? Man, it would have been sweet.
The concept I'm fine with. The execution I question. Who are they trading or scratching to make that work? If Miller goes as a cap dump, fine. But we all know Suter isn't getting scratched and everyone should be opposed to Lundkvist being the one.

I think that is the issue that prevented Dallas from making a move on the blueline. Well that and the cap. Without one of Faska or Suter going they couldn't make the money work. Hell they had to wait an extra day to make the roster move to add Domi because they couldn't make the cap work on the extra forward call ups. It's easy to say fix the blue line but money had to go out and Miller alone wouldn't have been enough.

Reactions: LT

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
The concept I'm fine with. The execution I question. Who are they trading or scratching to make that work? If Miller goes as a cap dump, fine. But we all know Suter isn't getting scratched and everyone should be opposed to Lundkvist being the one.

I think that is the issue that prevented Dallas from making a move on the blueline. Well that and the cap. Without one of Faska or Suter going they couldn't make the money work. Hell they had to wait an extra day to make the roster move to add Domi because they couldn't make the cap work on the extra forward call ups. It's easy to say fix the blue line but money had to go out and Miller alone wouldn't have been enough.

To answer the first question, who cares? Regardless of who eats the scratches the team is dramatically improved.

To the bolded, that's not an issue at all. Send out Khudobin and Gurianov, McCabe's cap hit is less than Dadanov's.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
McCabe would’ve been great but we would’ve been bidding against the Eastern teams that are all in. I think it would’ve been difficult to outbid those teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad