2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
If CBJ can't get a 1st+ for Gavrikov (because no one thinks he's worth of that or they know he won't re-sign with them or whatever) would you be willing to take a lower pick and a prospect instead of 2-4 non-1st round picks?

Few weeks ago I proposed '23 2nd+Reid Schaefer to Oilers fans, some of them like the idea. I'd love to add Josh Anderson/Tom Wilson type powerforward like Schaefer to the prospect pool but it seems very unlikely that EDM would this soon give away their latest 1st round pick who happens to be a local kid and has potential to be Kane's successor on a top-6 wing a couple years down the road.

Another prospect intriguing me from the Oilers is Max Wanner (7th round pick in 2021), Mateychuk's teammate in Moose Jaw. RHD with a 6'3 frame, I'd describe him as a defense-first guy whose offensive game has gradually improved in the last two years. Not always flashy with the puck but the size, skating, long reach and a good poise makes me think there could be top-4 upside at NHL level. There have been nights he's been more impressive than Mateychuk in my view, even without top PP minutes.

Haven't found any interesting prospects from LA or BOS yet that could be available...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If CBJ can't get a 1st+ for Gavrikov (because no one thinks he's worth of that or they know he won't re-sign with them or whatever) would you be willing to take a lower pick and a prospect instead of 2-4 non-1st round picks?

Few weeks ago I proposed '23 2nd+Reid Schaefer to Oilers fans, some of them like the idea. I'd love to add Josh Anderson/Tom Wilson type powerforward like Schaefer to the prospect pool but it seems very unlikely that EDM would this soon give away their latest 1st round pick who happens to be a local kid and has potential to be Kane's successor on a top-6 wing a couple years down the road.

Another prospect intriguing me from the Oilers is Max Wanner (7th round pick in 2021), Mateychuk's teammate in Moose Jaw. RHD with a 6'3 frame, I'd describe him as a defense-first guy whose offensive game has gradually improved in the last two years. Not always flashy with the puck but the size, skating, long reach and a good poise makes me think there could be top-4 upside at NHL level. There have been nights he's been more impressive than Mateychuk in my view, even without top PP minutes.

Haven't found any interesting prospects from LA or BOS yet that could be available...

I haven't seen him much but I'd be pleased to acquire a Reid Schaefer level prospect. He's a recent first rounder, I don't think we'd need a 2nd on top of that. Definitely a player type we need too.

Reactions: tunnelvision

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I haven't seen him much but I'd be pleased to acquire a Reid Schaefer level prospect. He's a recent first rounder, I don't think we'd need a 2nd on top of that. Definitely a player type we need too.
The fact is Oilers have to trade Puljujarvi if they want to get Gavrikov. And somehow I doubt they would give Schaefer. Besides, such a player is Voronkov.

Reactions: tunnelvision

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
RoR just got a 1st and other picks. There’s still time to say Gavrikov is getting a first

Eh, Noel Acciari is a good, sneaky pick-up for them as well.

But my goodness that's a lot to give up for two guys over the age of 30, neither of whom has 20 points this season.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
The fact is Oilers have to trade Puljujarvi if they want to get Gavrikov. And somehow I doubt they would give Schaefer. Besides, such a player is Voronkov.
True and in addition to Voronkov there might be some others too (Dolzhenkov, Fisher?) but I don't think depth chart is stacked in that position/player type. We should be welcoming forwards who can dominate on the boards and at net front, protect teammates and score timely goals.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I haven't watched him this year though, reports seem to suggest he hasn't really progressed aside from a strong start. Last week Mitch Brown had this to say about his season on EP:

Reid Schaefer, LW, Seattle Thunderbirds (Edmonton Oilers)

Through the first 10 games of the season, Reid Schaefer looked unstoppable. He scored 13 goals, flashed an improved playmaking game, and brought physical play every night. He's scored just six goals in 24 games since. Since late November, he's scored just two 5-on-5 goals – that's concerning.

While luck's certainly a factor, Schaefer's struggles are at least partly his own. He settles for perimeter shots in transition instead of finding a teammate and getting open. For a player projected as a wrecking ball, he lacks the finesse and physical skills to pull pucks off the boards and attack the middle regularly.

It's not all bad, though. Schaefer's off-puck reads look tighter in all three zones, leading to more retrievals and chances. In moments, he shows an improved playmaking game to find teammates around the slot. Taking a more proactive approach to passing – drawing pressure, making the early pass, then getting open – will not only help Schaefer get more quality looks, but create advantages for his teammates.

With TDL looming around the corner, value being little down isn't necessarily a bad thing from CBJ perspective?

Also came across this on twitter (got the impression that Stauffer is EDM's "McElligott"):

Reactions: Fro

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
True and in addition to Voronkov there might be some others too (Dolzhenkov, Fisher?) but I don't think depth chart is stacked in that position/player type. We should be welcoming forwards who can dominate on the boards and at net front, protect teammates and score timely goals.
Dolzhenkov probably not. But Voronkov is a classical powerforward.

Reactions: CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I haven't watched him this year though, reports seem to suggest he hasn't really progressed aside from a strong start. Last week Mitch Brown had this to say about his season on EP:

Reid Schaefer, LW, Seattle Thunderbirds (Edmonton Oilers)

Through the first 10 games of the season, Reid Schaefer looked unstoppable. He scored 13 goals, flashed an improved playmaking game, and brought physical play every night. He's scored just six goals in 24 games since. Since late November, he's scored just two 5-on-5 goals – that's concerning.

While luck's certainly a factor, Schaefer's struggles are at least partly his own. He settles for perimeter shots in transition instead of finding a teammate and getting open. For a player projected as a wrecking ball, he lacks the finesse and physical skills to pull pucks off the boards and attack the middle regularly.

It's not all bad, though. Schaefer's off-puck reads look tighter in all three zones, leading to more retrievals and chances. In moments, he shows an improved playmaking game to find teammates around the slot. Taking a more proactive approach to passing – drawing pressure, making the early pass, then getting open – will not only help Schaefer get more quality looks, but create advantages for his teammates.

With TDL looming around the corner, value being little down isn't necessarily a bad thing from CBJ perspective?

Also came across this on twitter (got the impression that Stauffer is EDM's "McElligott"):

Bob Stauffer is more like if Porty was chummy with the FO. Good inside sources, reliable, they just have to stay uncritical to keep access.

I have no problem if Schaefer needs five years to put it all together. Get a few of those PF prospects and don't worry about the wait. They need time.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
On last night's 32 Thoughts segment Jeff Marek mentioned Korpi as a potential target for teams looking for goaltending depth citing his recent excellent play and low cap hit. Do it Jarmo. Find a buyer!

On sportsnet.ca. I'd post link but this new computer & Microsoft Edge have me ready to jump from Edge.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
[MOD EDIT: Laine to Canes proposal]

Selling low but the canes are in their window and need a finisher.

Take your pick between Morrow, Drury, Jarvis and add their first rounder.

Dont think Pattys recent form will get you 3 first round caliber assets but maybe two.

Last edited by a moderator:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Makes me think one of us is linked to one of the other pending trades? Chychrun/Gavi 3 team deal?! Boston/Arizona/Columbus. Who gets what? Something based on..

Columbus gets Chychrun

Arizona gets Boston 1st, Ceulemans,++?

Boston gets an extended Gavrikov (+/-)

NHL Rumors: Jakob Chychrun and Vladislav Gavrikov - NHL Rumors

If any of of that is true, we were one of the top teams in on Chychrun... And AZ doesn't want any established players back only picks and prospects...

Edit: and the jackets play AZ tonight?! Perfect timing... It's gonna happen tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColumbusTrill

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Makes me think one of us is linked to one of the other pending trades? Chychrun/Gavi 3 team deal?! Boston/Arizona/Columbus. Who gets what? Something based on..

Columbus gets Chychrun

Arizona gets Boston 1st, Ceulemans,++?

Boston gets an extended Gavrikov (+/-)

NHL Rumors: Jakob Chychrun and Vladislav Gavrikov - NHL Rumors

If any of of that is true, we were one of the top teams in on Chychrun... And AZ doesn't want any established players back only picks and prospects...

Edit: and the jackets play AZ tonight?! Perfect timing... It's gonna happen tonight.

That deal roughly makes sense for the teams involved. Unfortunately it doesn't suit Chychrun's desire to play for a better team.

I think it's more likely that the other deal we're waiting on is that Boston is trying to get Chychrun and that they'll swing on Gavrikov if they miss on Chychrun.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad