WC: 2023 Switzerland Roster Talk

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Biggest gold favorites are the Swiss, Sweden, The US and Canada followed by Czechia and Finland.
But I could see the Swiss wanting it more than others and that combined with their actual skill level could end up in a big success.

Finland could be a bit full after winning every second year these last years, at least I've got that feeling so far.

The US impressed a lot over Finland and won easily but then again? Can they be better than that later on? Because they were really good.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
So Thürkauf is probably out for Tuesday. I guess one of Ambühl, Senteler or Miranda will play with Richard and Bertschy.

Then I can't see an obvious spot for Fiala. Corvi and Niederreiter haven't really found the chemistry they had in 2018, and I really think Malgin could use some more skills on his line. Plus Fischer has never been afraid of tweaking things.

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
He wasn't, he played in the playoffs and would have played further had NJ reached the 2nd round. He was willing to come but they prevented him.
This isn't true... but hey it's 2023 and you can just make up anything and people believe it.... smh

The other poster was correct... Hischier had a wrist injury (basically all season).. Zacha didn't play for his respective team as well as he was also banged up... the Devils didn't tell either of them they could not play in the Worlds

Newsflash: players play thru injuries in the playoffs...

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
This isn't true... but hey it's 2023 and you can just make up anything and people believe it.... smh

The other poster was correct... Hischier had a wrist injury (basically all season).. Zacha didn't play for his respective team as well as he was also banged up... the Devils didn't tell either of them they could not play in the Worlds

Newsflash: players play thru injuries in the playoffs...
This was discussed in the 2018 thread, I can still remember it. The expectation was that he would come, as he said himself he would like to. NJ prevented him although they kept playing him themselves.

EDIT: there it is: WC: - 2018 - Team Switzerland

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
They nominate Damien Riat, which would only leave one spot open. Or can you replace injured players? I don't read anything about that in the rules.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I'm pretty sure they know the rules better than we do or at least check before they register Riat.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
According to Grégory Beaud it's a new rule that an injured player can be replaced. I guess IIHF just didn't update their webpage with new rules.

Means, if Tobias Geisser is also injured Tim Berni could replace him.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
According to Grégory Beaud it's a new rule that an injured player can be replaced. I guess IIHF just didn't update their webpage with new rules.

Means, if Tobias Geisser is also injured Tim Berni could replace him.

Did you read anything about Geisser? I couldn't find any update.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fiala was out of the playoffs 2 weeks ago, why add him only now? 😅
He was slightly injured and had to follow some sort of rehab protocol to be finally cleared by the Kings.
Did you read anything about Geisser? I couldn't find any update.
Also a problem with the shoulder, needs more evaluation I read. That he returned for some shifts in the second period is not a bad sign.

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
This was discussed in the 2018 thread, I can still remember it. The expectation was that he would come, as he said himself he would like to. NJ prevented him although they kept playing him themselves.

EDIT: there it is: WC: - 2018 - Team Switzerland
Yeah.. I see the same speculation as I see here... his hand was hurt... I'm sure he wanted to go but couldn't because his obligation first and foremost is to the Devils... which entails resting an injury that lingered all season.. that same tournament had a number of Devils players who weren't nursing injuries...

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Yeah.. I see the same speculation as I see here... his hand was hurt... I'm sure he wanted to go but couldn't because his obligation first and foremost is to the Devils... which entails resting an injury that lingered all season.. that same tournament had a number of Devils players who weren't nursing injuries...

This is the case. He contracted the wrist injury already towards the end of his draft year and played his last WJC U18 with it. Then it was nagging him his whole rookie season. Devils didn't want to risk this getting worse. On top of that he had played around 90 games hockey that year already in his first year as a pro. So its understandable that he wasn't allowed to go from a devils perspective, since they are paying his salary and invested their draft assets in him. For us Swiss fans it was a bit disappointing though, even more so after the fact, since the gold medal game vs the Swedes was so close and he might have made the difference there. But that was so long ago, its not really worth going into it now. Its not like the Devils have prevented him from participating ever since...

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
And what already was known is now confired. Hischier and Siegenthaler will arrive for Thursdays game vs. Slovakia.

Berni remains with the team in case of another injury.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
according to SRF

• Marti, Kukan; Niederreiter, Corvi, Ambühl
  • Geisser, Glauser; Fiala, Malgin, Bertschy
  • Fora, Loeffel; Miranda, Haas, Simion
  • Herzog, Richard, Riat

no Moser (sick)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad