WC: 2023 Switzerland Roster Talk

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Hischier was hurt in 2018 no ?

I really Hope we take hischier, Sieg and Schmidt. Meier would have been nice too but it won't happen.
He wasn't, he played in the playoffs and would have played further had NJ reached the 2nd round. He was willing to come but they prevented him.

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
He wasn't, he played in the playoffs and would have played further had NJ reached the 2nd round. He was willing to come but they prevented him.

Well, since 2019 he came every time, I can't see why it should be different here. But who knows...

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Akira Schmid said he has talked to the national team but still needs to discuss things with the medical staff. Last question here, the interview cuts off.

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
Great news.

We have no excuse, we must do something this year

Notice that last medal was in 2018, five years ago.
And in 2018, the last medal was in 2013, five years ago.

See the pattern ? :P

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Fantastic news about Fiala.

Fiala and Malgin were linemates and had tremendous chemistry through most of their junior NT careers. (Minus the U20 WC 14/15, IIRC the last time they played together, where Fiala refused to share the puck with anybody)

Always was wondering how much of all that they could transfer to senior level if put on the same line again. I don't think we've ever seen that yet.

But as has everbody already pointed out, if Hischier joins, Malgin probably has to switch to the wing. Unless Fischi takes Richard out of the line-up, which seems pretty unlikely so far. Haas plays probably the best hockey ever and his confidence is through the roof, plays like a captain and will stay on C for sure.

And a Fiala-Hischier-Malgin line is a bit of an overload IMO. The 2 wingers on the team who both do best and have the skills to carry the puck up the ice on the same line seems a bit of a waste.

And Corvi normally excels with a highly skilled winger to dipsy-doodle around. So one of the Malgin/Fiala duo for Herzog is what I'd like to see.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Great news.

We have no excuse, we must do something this year

Notice that last medal was in 2018, five years ago.
And in 2018, the last medal was in 2013, five years ago.

See the pattern ? :P
yep and facing Sweden both times. But dont worry, we are not good this year. It will be switzerland vs finland in the finals

any chance Meier comes ?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Meier declined because he's out of contract and also banged up.

With Siegenthaler, Hischier, Fiala and probably Schmid the roster is full now.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Fantastic news about Fiala.

Fiala and Malgin were linemates and had tremendous chemistry through most of their junior NT careers. (Minus the U20 WC 14/15, IIRC the last time they played together, where Fiala refused to share the puck with anybody)

Always was wondering how much of all that they could transfer to senior level if put on the same line again. I don't think we've ever seen that yet.

But as has everbody already pointed out, if Hischier joins, Malgin probably has to switch to the wing. Unless Fischi takes Richard out of the line-up, which seems pretty unlikely so far. Haas plays probably the best hockey ever and his confidence is through the roof, plays like a captain and will stay on C for sure.

And a Fiala-Hischier-Malgin line is a bit of an overload IMO. The 2 wingers on the team who both do best and have the skills to carry the puck up the ice on the same line seems a bit of a waste.

And Corvi normally excels with a highly skilled winger to dipsy-doodle around. So one of the Malgin/Fiala duo for Herzog is what I'd like to see.

Maybe Simion - Haas - Malgin could work. That would leave Fiala - Hischier and Corvi - Niederreiter. Or play Niederreiter with Hischier and have Corvi with Ambühl and Herzog like last year.

Then who do you take out of the lineup? Senteler, Miranda, Thürkauf or Richard are the obvious names but they all played well today.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
He could play 7+13 with Senteler as 13th forward and Miranda the odd man out (together with Fora)

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Maybe Simion - Haas - Malgin could work. That would leave Fiala - Hischier and Corvi - Niederreiter. Or play Niederreiter with Hischier and have Corvi with Ambühl and Herzog like last year.

Then who do you take out of the lineup? Senteler, Miranda, Thürkauf or Richard are the obvious names but they all played well today.
I didn't even dare to start shuffeling the 3rd and 4th line when thinking about the future line-up, because of the sheer amount of options. But to combine Haas in his current form with a highly skill winger surely sounds intriguing.

So many options. Which is nice.

And who to take out?

I could see a scenario, where Fischer keeps rotating the "lesser" forwards throughout the group games to help distributing the work load and keeping the legs fresh. Which he said to put an emphasis on.

Or he could look at the special teams and look who's got the least important roles in there.

What to do in PP situations now anyway?

If the first unit keeps playing like that, Fischi could stick to them.

In that case Fiala will probably take over for Loeffel on the left side of the umbrella in the 2nd unit, Hischier takes Ambühl's spot in the crease.

Ambühl, Herzog, Richard, Senteler, Miranda all have been solid on the PK lately.
It's not easy but if I had to pick the 2 odd ones out, it probably came down to Herzog and Ambühl.

Fiala-Hischier-Simion
Malgin-Corvi-Niederreiter
Miranda-Haas-Senteler
Bertschy-Richard-Thürkauf

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Meier declined because he's out of contract and also banged up.

With Siegenthaler, Hischier, Fiala and probably Schmid the roster is full now.

So with NJ eliminated the Swiss roster shoukd look something like

Bratt Hischier Mercer
Palat Hughes Fiala
Wood McLeod Bastian
Haula Boquist Niederreiter

Siegenthaler Hamilton
Hughes Marino
Bahl Severson

Schmid
Vanacek.

Meier won’t play due to contract status and injury but that team makes a lot of sense.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Schmid has an injury and wasn't allowed to come by the Devils. I can live with that and hope JvP gets a game, too.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Another Devils players got injured leaving the arena after the last playoff game. They should really do something about their team bus :eyeroll:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Wow, that's obviously huge for Switzerland and great for the tournament. Nice to see that Swiss top players are responding to calls.

Fiala is confirmed by the federation. Hischier said in his exit interview that he'll fly over (as well as Siegenthaler), but there is no official confirmation from the federation yet.

Reactions: tade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad