WC: 2023 Switzerland Roster Talk

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
We will probably face Germany in quarter.

We have a revenge to take from 2021 quarter. Let's go boys.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Not many expected Mayer and Richard in this roster. Smart move by Fischer, as much as you can critize him for other stuff. That was a hell of a game by Mayer.

Reactions: torero

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Fischer's weaknesses have always been tactics and capacity to adjust. I don't think there were doubts he was good at building teams.

What did you guys think about the lineup? I thought the Hischier and Malgin lines worked well. The Haas one was less noticeable today, though. I'd try them again on tuesday.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
It would be a pitty if Fischer was mainly remembered in the future for his weaknesses, that were rightfully pointed out by stv11.

What I always liked very much about his approach, already in his Lugano days, the way, he is encouraging the players to trust in their skills and find solutions with the puck in a constructive manner, even if it causes horrible mistakes from time to time. That combined with a highly demanding system of play, and a very offensive interpretation, sometimes leads to a big chaos on the ice (and sometimes behind the bench as well) when things go wrong. (A bit like Bruce Boudreau teams play)

He definitely had to adapt the system a bit over time and get some help therefore by Albelin to make it all more stable on the D side. Which he did. But the DNA remains the same.

They did some questionable stuff with the treatment of Malgin and Kukan IMO. On the other hand, Fischer made a point with that, and the commitment is still fully there by everyone, no bad blood.

The players seem to like the atmosphere in the NT very much, everyone works his bottom off. And have a fun time on the ice with a coach that offers them a platform to shine. It's all very entertainig and quite an achievement.

Even if the game against Germany 2 years ago really left me speechless.

I really hope for all the guys envolved, that they can walk the walk to the end this time. Would be very well deserved.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
And about the line-up.

Fiala and Malgin finally have found a bit chemistry in this game. Malgin has always been more effective as a C than a W. He's really surprisingly good at face-offs as well.

Still this line looks the most vulnerable on the D side of them all.

The Hischier-Line looked like that could be a 1st Line with strong defense beside the offensive qualities.
Corvi said after the game, they were doing some shuffling to find some alternatives lines, if they had to adapt in latter games.

I wonder if Simions mistake had something to do with his C being suddenly a LH (Senteler) in stead of a RH (Haas). A rightie might had reached that puck.

And I'm very happy for Richard too. He so much wants to play for this team, and prove that he can fit in, which he does. He's so surprisingly disciplined, positiv leadership all over the place. Yes his skating isn't elite like with the other Cs but he knows his limits and how to be effective anyway. And Fischer let's him play his style, very nice. His combo of leadership and hockey IQ is really high, reminds me a bit of von Arx in his haydays.

Mayer in for the QF?
Does Fischer have the guts to do it?

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
There isn't really any reason for to much optimism and praise just yet. This gives me flashbacks of last year. The tournament is just starting now with the quarters. In the last few years our opponents were ready to thwart our game plan in the knockout stage and Fischer has struggled every time to adjust to this on a tactical level. If we don't advance to the semis this time there is no case for him to remain in office anymore. I know Swiss fans have low expectations in general but this is not the WC of the pre Covid era anymore. With the Russians gone and much of the other top nations fielding weaker rosters now, anything below reaching the finals should be considered a disappointment to be honest.

Last edited:

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
There isn't really any reason for to much optimism and praise just yet. This gives me flashbacks of last year. The tournament is just starting now with the quarters. In the last few years our opponents were ready to thwart our game plan in the knockout stage and Fischer has struggled every time to adjust to this on a tactical level. If we don't advance to the semis this time there is no case for him to remain in office anymore. I know Swiss fans have low expectations in general but this is not the WC of the pre Covid era anymore. With the Russians gone and much of the other top nations fielding weaker rosters now, anything below reaching the finals should be considered a disappointment to be honest.

Yep I agree. Getting through quarter is the minimum of the miminum given the team we have.

But I'm not to optimistic either, I'm a bit traumatized by the last 3 quarters we've played here.

To me, the good signs are :

- More scoring depth
- We look more solid in general, more able to shut down a game when we need too
- Ambühl is really bringing something more, the prophecy must happen :laugh:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I'm also more optimistic than the last two years. Especially because all D-men played really well and there are 4 very balanced lines. And with Genoni and Mayer there are two very hot goalies who played very well in the playoffs. A lot of players are just better than last year

But yeah, the truth will lie on the ice on Thursday.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I won't even allow myself to be optimistic after the last two years.

On the other hand, I attempted a reverse jinx by being unable to watch the games next weekend :D

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I think that our team is plain good. (compared to most others).

i do fear the Germans in the QF ... but then, among all four teams, i still prefer them ...

Last time, i thought we had a chance ... it was a year of Olympics ... most teams missed their starts , who were tired , with the addition of the Olympics.

i think we have a fair chance to make it this year.

And to make it easier to accept, we are bode to win the WC several time by 2050. So there has to be a first time. Let's look at it like that :cool:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The problem is not coaching, Fischer and Albelin are world class coaches. The problem is swiss players being too weak and soft. Its same problem as Sweden have.

• Haha
Reactions: Hinterland

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
The problem is not coaching, Fischer and Albelin are world class coaches.
Yeah right. This probably wansn't Fischers worst blunder in the last few quarters. But starting Mayer and sitting that many players vs Latvia are at least very questionable decisions that contributed in todays loss. PP was horrible too. Terrible puck movement and a total misuse of Hischier, who is only good behind the net on the man advantage.

The problem is swiss players being too weak and soft. Its same problem as Sweden have.

Nobody claimed this was not the case in addition to terrible coaching.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Yeah right. This probably wansn't Fischers worst blunder in the last few quarters. But starting Mayer and sitting that many players vs Latvia are at least very questionable decisions that contributed in todays loss. PP was horrible too. Terrible puck movement and a total misuse of Hischier who is only good behind the net on the man advantage.

Nobody claimed this was not the case in addition to terrible coaching.
So who do you want as coach?

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
So who do you want as coach?

Don't really care at this point. The best we can get our hands on. Maybe we could ask Luca Cereda first. But I'd even rather reactivate Arno Del Curto than go into another tournament with Fischer behind the bench.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Fischer must get some heat in swiss media?

The first major Swiss hockey journalist already came to his defense. I would be extremely surprisded though if there wouldn't be some major heat in the next few days and weeks. But the dude seems to have nine lives. He is basically like Trump and Erdogan combined in this regard. I don't think its a done deal that he will be canned. We will see...

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
This has to be very frustrating for Swiss fans. Last 3 WCH, maybe best team on paper, fantastic hockey in group stage and then choke in the play offs. This is some Toronto Maple Leafs sh*t and wasting of great generation of players. Fire everyone

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00