WC: 2023 Switzerland Roster Talk

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Lars Weibel says he's optimistic about Fiala and Malgin who both want to come and he's pessimistic about Josi.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
No, Glauser finished the game. Didn't see Karrer for most of the game.

Defense was really solid today. Berni played really well until his mistake at the end. Kukan could probably also play on that Swedish team. Geisser is rock solid and also Marti, Loeffel and Glauser really had a good game.

Offense worries, the skill level is just too low with all the players missing.
Still don't like Künzle, he has a physical play but is just very limited in every other aspect of the game.

JvP was really good, too. He has an NHL-upside, no question.

Reactions: Hinterland

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland

Defense was really solid today. Berni played really well until his mistake at the end. Kukan could probably also play on that Swedish team. Geisser is rock solid and also Marti, Loeffel and Glauser really had a good game.

Still don't like Künzle, he has a physical play but is just very limited in every other aspect of the game.

I agree with most of this. JvP was solid, and good game by the defense. I really liked Marti and Loeffel.

Offense lacks skills. I thought Miranda, Ambühl and Simion did well. Corvi created a bit but disappeared late in the game. Richard didn't do much, and Künzle was particularly bad.

On both PP goals the right forward was out of position chasing the puck too far left. That was pretty bad from Richard on the first one, and Senteler should have been closer on the 2nd goal. Too many stupid penalties as well, Künzle learned nothing from game 7 while Corvi's and Berni's were terrible penalties to take.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I know he wants to respect his contract and probably doesn't want to make the move coming off such an injury but I really believe he has to do it. He's good enough and can't affort to share his net for an entire season in Biel. If he stays for another year that won't make the transition to North America any easier for him. He has to go now. The fact that he accepted an invititation for the national team doesn't indicate he's willing to do that but we'll see.

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I know he wants to respect his contract and probably doesn't want to make the move coming off such an injury but I really believe he has to do it. He's good enough and can't affort to share his net for an entire season in Biel. If he stays for a other year that won't make the transition to North America any easier for him. He has to go now. The fact that he accepted an invititation for the national team doesn't indicate he's willing to do that but we'll see.
I fully agree. It makes no sense to share the net with Säteri for another year.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I know he wants to respect his contract and probably doesn't want to make the move coming off such an injury but I really believe he has to do it. He's good enough and can't affort to share his net for an entire season in Biel. If he stays for another year that won't make the transition to North America any easier for him. He has to go now. The fact that he accepted an invititation for the national team doesn't indicate he's willing to do that but we'll see.

He is also not super young (by hockey standards) anymore. I feel like this has to be the year, if he wants to make it. Its also not like Detroit is loaded with quality goaltenders, so his chances should be intact.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Bit off topic but does anybody know why hoffmann isn’t an option for at least the preparation games. I know fischer didn’t take him last year because of the underwhelming play at the olympics but IMO if not injured this roster could use him on offense since this team is very limited on offense.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He is also not super young (by hockey standards) anymore. I feel like this has to be the year, if he wants to make it. Its also not like Detroit is loaded with quality goaltenders, so his chances should be intact.
If Detroit still holds his rights that is. It's a very complicated matter and there's been conflicting information out there for years now. I believe that by now he normally should be free agent because the clock started ticking as soon as Switzerland signed that transfer agreement with the NHL. I couldn't tell for sure though. The matter is complicated because Switzerland didn't have such a transfer agreement prior but Van Pottelberghe was actually drafted out of Sweden who always had an agreement. Another question is if and how the games Van Pottelberghe played in Denmark matter in this case.

One thing I do know is that being UFA certainly would make things easier for Van Pottelberghe even though obviously Detroit needs to upgrade on goaltending.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fischer says in an interview from yesterday that he didn't train Powerplay much because there will be changes in the lineup which the pp will benefit from.
Sounds really like Fiala and Malgin are a good possibility.

Reactions: MatBarzal

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Best game for quite some time. Much more puck posession. More offensive. More wins in puck-battles. Haas is an amazing player. I really liked Kneubühler and Heim, they played really well, a lot of speed, but nevertheless probably the first to get scratched.

D-corp was very good again, Moser had his two mistakes, he won't do that in Riga. Berni gets better and better. Glauser and Marti play without mistakes. Kukan is just probably one of the best D-men in Europe currently.
Hope Karrer can play again tomorrow.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Yeah, Switzerland hasn't played that well since the first leg of the Euro hockey tour. Great game defensively, Finland couldn't find any space to do anything. Marti was rock solid, Kukan had a great game, Geisser very strong as well. I also liked that the 2nd PP unit had two defensemen, I would like to see Loeffel play the left circle rather than on the blue line.

Haas the best player, Herzog, Simion, Thürkauf and Miranda very strong along the board.

Now hopefully another game like this tomorrow and some good news from North America.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Speaking about JvP and that he should make his way to NA, Zaugg reports that André Heim draw some interest in the first half of the season which cooled a little bit down in 2023, but there is some interest and he hopes to make the WC-team to make an impression there.

Meanwhile Bichsel signed his ELC and Ludovic Waeber signed a one-year two-way contract with an organisation (could be Florida).

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
It's a shame that two goalies who should easily be starting have to seek ice time abroad because teams were short sighted enough to bet everything on import goalies. This 6 import rule is going to do a lot of damages.

I hope Dallas' plan is to loan Bichsel back to Leksand. He's in a league that does a better job at developing players than the AHL and would benefit from on extra year over there. Maybe they plan to give him NHL ice time already, but young defensmen can gain a lot of confidence with the puck from getting more responsibilities over playing 3rd pair and be asked to keep things simple and clear the zone when under pressure.

Regarding Heim, it was reported back in March. The team is apparently St Louis. This really comes out of nowhere, the guy isn't neither particularly young nor dominant. I wonder what they see in him.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fischer working on his lines.
Kukan sits, as well as Karrer who probably still isn't match-fit after getting a hard cross-check on Thursday.

Abmühl - Corvi - Riat
Herzog - Haas - Künzle
Miranda - Senteler - Simion
Thürkauf - Richard - Bertschy
Moy

I can imagine seeing Nino with Corvi and Ambühl. And I can see the last line together also.
If Malgin joins he could play between Miranda and Simion.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Yeah, the lineup being consistent suggests Fischer found his lines. I'd play Corvi with Herzog or Simion, but if the plan is to have Niederreiter on that line, which I hope it is, it makes sense to have Riat as a placeholder. I'm not crazy about Künzle on Haas's line, but I guess it's a by product of the lack of offensive depth. Hopefully Fiala can solve that issue.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Excellent game today, although with the amount of chances created one more goal would have been in order. I wouldn't have thought Switzerland would win the tournament after last weekend's performances. The only downside is the too many avoidable penalties.

Individually, good game by Mayer after that bad start. The defense played really well again, and all forward lines clicked. Still disappointed by Moy who doesn't create much, and I don't think Künzle is good enough.

Now we're probably looking at two cuts at forward and one on defense, unless we get news from North America. I guess today's lineup suggests the two Ambri players are likely to stay home, but I wouldn't be surprised if Heim makes it over Moy. Possibly Riat too if the plan is to play Niederreiter with Corvi and Ambühl. On defense, I guess it depends on Karrer. If he's not hurt, I'd drop Fora, but Fischer seems to like him. Tough choice as all players were really good.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
According to watson.ch, Kneubühler, Heim and Moy are cut, and Karrer is injured. Malgin will join. News about Fiala next Sunday, and Josi confirmed out.

I can't believe it will be 4 tournaments without Josi...

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
According to watson.ch, Kneubühler, Heim and Moy are cut, and Karrer is injured. Malgin will join. News about Fiala next Sunday, and Josi confirmed out.

I can't believe it will be 4 tournaments without Josi...

I'd say we were rather lucky with some other NHL stars than we were unlucky with Josi. On other National Teams like Sweden and Finland a lot of the players usually decline for one reason or another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad