WC: 2023 Switzerland Roster Talk

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Missed the original camp roster but was Western Michigan's Cedric Fiedler given a look at all?

Still young for men's team play but had a solid NCAA campaign and attended the Red Wings' development camp.

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
Accodring to watson Josi is skating and is still hoping to be able to play at the WC.
I respect Jozy for his desire to play, especially I respect him against the background of other ridiculous refusals from the category "my wife is giving birth".

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
I respect Jozy for his desire to play, especially I respect him against the background of other ridiculous refusals from the category "my wife is giving birth".
As a father I this this is a totally ridiculous comment. There is literally nothing more special in life and experiencing the birth of your child and the days after. So I respect and understand every player that does put this above playing for the national team. We fans might not like it but these are human beings and there is definitely more important things in life than playing ice hockey.

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
As a father I this this is a totally ridiculous comment. There is literally nothing more special in life and experiencing the birth of your child and the days after. So I respect and understand every player that does put this above playing for the national team. We fans might not like it but these are human beings and there is definitely more important things in life than playing ice hockey.
Perhaps the example is unsuccessful, but you will agree there are rather ridiculous excuses. For example, when a 20-year-old hockey player complains of fatigue or minor injuries

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Perhaps the example is unsuccessful, but you will agree there are rather ridiculous excuses. For example, when a 20-year-old hockey player complains of fatigue or minor injuries
Oh yeah I agree. It is just that I have a family member who was a soccer professional for 10+ and a close friend who was a professional hockey playern in the top Swiss league.
And from them I know that even a minor injury or a fatigue can be something big or just for the press. Maybe they deal with some mental issues and don't want to publicly talk about it. We just never know and should not judge based on a public statement from the Swiss hockey federation.

Reactions: MatBarzal

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Accodring to watson Josi is skating and is still hoping to be able to play at the WC.
Would be great to see him play since our team looks really thin but if he plays and fiala and niederreiter lose in the playoffs we have the same NHL Player combination as in 2018…

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Josi is just a gamechanger, not just because of the skills but his personality, his leadership, he makes a team better on and off the ice. Would be great to see him again at the WC, it's been too long.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
He definitely didn't look good on these two PP goals, but last year we were trashing him during all pre-tournament games and the first WC games and he proved us wrong later in the tournament.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Some high and lows in this game. Good to manage to score 5 goals against a team of the caliber of Latvia, but way too many individual mistakes and stupid penalties.

Aeschlimann is really shaky. Even if you look past his two puck handling mistakes, he just doesn't make you feel confident. I'd cut him over Hughes if van Pottelberghe joins next week.

Good game by Berni and Geisser on defense. Loeffel also brought a lot. With Kukan and Moser on the team and Egli having good games I thought there was no spot for him on the team, but if plays that well tomorrow he may have gotten himself a chance to play in the last leg of the Euro hockey tour. His PP unit also clearly outplayed Kukan's. Marti had up and downs, some good coverage in front of the net but he got caught flat footed a few times. Fora let a guy sneak behind him on a PP twice and had some poor plays, he was the worst defenseman today.

At forward I really liked Herzog, Senteler and Bertschy. Corvi was the most creative players too but it didn't lead to much. I don't know what to think about Moy. I literally only noticed him three times and he got 3 points. Still, as an offensive player on a team that definitely could use some, he hasn't impressed much so far.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Choice on Defense is tough. I think Loeffel could be in if Josi cannot come. He always was a smart offensive d-men and made a lot of progress on his defensive side of the game.

I'm not sure about Fora. He played an ok World championship but wasn't outstanding. Last year there was a gap between the top-4 and the rest and this year competition is much tougher with guys like Berni and Bichsel. Karrer should get a chance too, he played amazing playoffs.

For Aeschlimann, this is tough. Had an amazing season. Now first game and those mistakes (he had another one which didn't lead to a goal). Maybe he calls up Van Pottelberghe.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Choice on Defense is tough. I think Loeffel could be in if Josi cannot come. He always was a smart offensive d-men and made a lot of progress on his defensive side of the game.

I'm not sure about Fora. He played an ok World championship but wasn't outstanding. Last year there was a gap between the top-4 and the rest and this year competition is much tougher with guys like Berni and Bichsel. Karrer should get a chance too, he played amazing playoffs.

For Aeschlimann, this is tough. Had an amazing season. Now first game and those mistakes (he had another one which didn't lead to a goal). Maybe he calls up Van Pottelberghe.
Speculation by me but if I'm right about Van Pottelberghe heading overseas a year earlier than planned then he might not be interested...especially coming off an injury.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Well, that was terrible. I can't remember the last time Switzerland played such a bad pre-tournament game.

No defender played a mistake-free game, Genoni was poor as well and not many forwards stood out. I was particularly disappointed by Herzog and Simion, they should have boosted the team's offense. No adjustment to try to exploit the team's speed better either.

Now let's see who joins for next week. I'd love to see van Pottelberghe, which means that a goalie would be cut. Then the only defensemen that I would consider are Karrer and LeCoultre. With Moser already announced, that would means we can expect 2-3 cuts. Difficult to say who are the most likely choices, but I would say one of Loeffel and Egli, and one or two of Fora, Glauser and Marti.

At forward we're looking at Haas, Rod, Miranda and Praplan as potential additions, plus maybe Niederreiter, which would probably mean 2 to 4 cuts. Riat has been announced as injured so he might be one. Then I guess Kneubühler and Schmid are the most likely, or maybe Meyer and Heim. I'm still not convinced by Moy either.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
6 to 7 new players from Biel and Servette Fischer announced.

I guess we'll get the news tomorrow.

Forwards most likely to get cut: Kneubühler, Schmid, Riat if he's not getting healthy.
Defense: Egli, Glauser, Fora

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I guess the 7 I named are the most likely, but there's always some unexpected name. Maybe Kessler? I can't really see any other Biel player. From Geneva, maybe a surprise comeback by Richards?

Also, call me crazy, but what about Mayer? Fischer has already shown he's happy to take players who are in form at the right time and he probably was the biggest surprise of the playoffs.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Mike Künzle maybe. But yeah, without further help from NA it's going to be tough.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
So let's hope Fiala was not rushed back to game action and is fit and hungry for some more hockey. He would be another big upgrade for our offence.

And the Rangers fought back strong. That's going to be a fascinating 7th game.

Reactions: Kuracmugger

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes