WC: 2023 Switzerland Roster Talk

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fiala said he wasn't at 100% but doesn't require surgery. But I guess that's a no then.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Even Fiala at 90% but would be very welcome, so hopefully we can get that.

I guess he's the reason there's been no news today.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
The question is more in how much pain he is and if he gets clearance from the Kings.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
He's still in the mix.

Looks like the final selection on goalkeeping. No Praplan from Servette. No news on Nino and Fiala and of course Malgin.

New roster:

Gardiens (3) : Leonardo Genoni (EV Zug), Robert Mayer (Genève-Servette HC), Joren Van Pottelberghe (EHC Biel-Bienne),

Défenseurs (10) : Tim Berni (Columbus Blue Jackets / NHL), Lian Bichsel (Leksands IF / SWE), Michael Fora (HC Davos), Tobias Geisser (EV Zug), Andrea Glauser (Lausanne HC), Roger Karrer (Genève-Servette HC), Dean Kukan (ZSC Lions) Romain Loeffel (SC Bern), Christian Marti (ZSC Lions), Janis Moser (Arizona Coyotes / NHL)

Attaquants (15) : Andres Ambühl (HC Davos), Christoph Bertschy (Fribourg-Gottéron), Enzo Corvi (HC Davos), Gaëtan Haas (EHC Biel-Bienne), André Heim (HC Ambrì-Piotta), Fabrice Herzog (EV Zug), Johnny Kneubühler (HC Ambrì-Piotta), Mike Künzle (EHC Biel-Bienne), Marco Miranda (Genève-Servette HC), Tyler Moy (SC Rapperswil-Jona Lakers), Damien Riat (Lausanne HC), Tanner Richard (Genève-Servette HC), Sven Senteler (EV Zug), Dario Simion (EV Zug), Calvin Thürkauf (HC Lugano)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Turns out our speculations about Mayer and Künzle were correct. The Richard comeback was a bit unexpected too. I thought there was a spot for Praplan, I wonder if he's injured.

I didn't expected two goalies to get cut. I thought Hughes played really well against France, I would have liked to see him next weekend.

The cut on defense was between Egli and Loeffel I guess. I really liked Egli against France and Loeffel during the first game against Latvia, it was close. Schmid and Meyer make sense too, although I'm surprised Kneubühler is still there.

Haas is a much needed addition too. Now hopefully we can get an NHL line (and even a goalie and a defenseman if the Rangers do their job).

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Aeschlimanns play on Friday might have played a role in that Mayer call.

Let's speculate a little bit:

Goalkeeping: Schmid is an option, beside that Fischer will use these 3 keepers and I'm pretty sure he'll give a start to JvP.

Defense: 10 in the roster currently, 2 more are an option (Josi and Siegs). If he goes with 8 D-men to Latvia Loeffel and Glauser are the obvious cuts.

Offence: 15 in the roster, the addition of Nino and Malgin look reasonable (altought Malgin was injured not so long ago, too). Don't think Fiala gets clearance. We could still have an open spot for Nico as long as possible. So, if we assume that he taks 14 attackers there has to be 3 cuts.
Kneubühler, Heim the obvious. Beside that? I'm not a big fan of Künzle.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Out of the 3 keepers I think Mayer is the most likely cut. JvP has the potential to be the future starter and it's time to give him some playing time.

On defense, Loeffel is obvious if Josi makes it, but if not I am not sure Fischer will go with just Kukan and Moser as PP defensemen. Not sure about Glauser either, Fischer seems to like him. On the other hand, he likes Fora and Marti too, the two obvious names he could beat. Karrer probably isn't safe either, it will depend on how he plays next weekend. Plus Siegenthaler might still join.

At forward, Kneubühler is obvious, then it depends on the role each player gets. Corvi, Haas, Richard and Bertschy are the best centers, plus there is Senteler and Thürkauf who can play the role, so Heim is a likely cut, especially if Malgin joins. Then Riat has been injured last weekend, it might depends on how he feels. Beside him, Künzle and Miranda are possible, and I am still not convinced by Moy. Richard might be the odd man out if both Malgin and Hischier join.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Turns out our speculations about Mayer and Künzle were correct. The Richard comeback was a bit unexpected too. I thought there was a spot for Praplan, I wonder if he's injured.

I didn't expected two goalies to get cut. I thought Hughes played really well against France, I would have liked to see him next weekend.

The cut on defense was between Egli and Loeffel I guess. I really liked Egli against France and Loeffel during the first game against Latvia, it was close. Schmid and Meyer make sense too, although I'm surprised Kneubühler is still there.

Haas is a much needed addition too. Now hopefully we can get an NHL line (and even a goalie and a defenseman if the Rangers do their job).
He was wearing a splint on his wrist during the cup celebration this weekend.

And Rod played the playoffs through a torn ligament in his ankle so no chance of seeing him either.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
He'll join the team for the WC next week, so no Czech Hockey Tour for him.

Moser is also a nice add. We'll see how the decisions in terms of Fiala, Malgin and Josi are. All are not rouled out yet.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
He'll join the team for the WC next week, so no Czech Hockey Tour for him.

Moser is also a nice add. We'll see how the decisions in terms of Fiala, Malgin and Josi are. All are not rouled out yet.
Yess but i am rather pessimistic that they will come especially josi, it’s probably better if he takes a break since he’s had concussions before(i don’t remember how many though). Malgin is UFA too if i am not mistaken.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Nothing broken according to Swiss television. I suspected an injury on a ligament (knee, foot) anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad