WC: 2023 Switzerland Roster Talk

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Come on, that's 4 tournaments in a row without Josi... and he's not getting any younger
I was afraid it could be a concussion as soon as I read "upper body injury". I think with Josis history in that regard, its very likely he won't play at the WC. He is already seriously putting his long term health at stake in the NHL. But they are paying him 8 million bucks annually for it at least. From his perspective, its certainly smarter to heal up completely over the off season. Im sure the Predators will have a word in his decision too. Too bad for us fans though.

Last edited:

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
If the Swiss national team (New Jersey) crashes out of the Stanley Cup, then there is a chance to get cool players.

Reactions: Omark

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If the Swiss national team (New Jersey) crashes out of the Stanley Cup, then there is a chance to get cool players.
Our coaches are all grade a morons so there's a pretty good chance getting those players wouldn't even help the team much. Also, some of them might not join if they're banged up or don't have a contract for next season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Albelin is a happy man right now
When is he finally gonna get his SHL offer though? The rumors started years ago but nothing happening. Frustrating. I'm sure Albelin would be even happier with an SHL offer. Also, could you use some of our other clowns as well in Sweden? We've got more than enough of them should you ever need any.

• Haha
Reactions: Eye of Ra

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Meier won't come if he doesn't sign, which very probably won't happen before the start of the WC.

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
Our coaches are all grade a morons so there's a pretty good chance getting those players wouldn't even help the team much. Also, some of them might not join if they're banged up or don't have a contract for next season.
Hisher will come, I have no doubt about it, he is a real patriot)

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, but Kurashev has a contract with league-minimum while Meier will probably get 10 Millions or something around that. So you risk that if you injure yourself.

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
I really hope to be wrong but I feel like it will be hard to do anything better than a quarter final with Fischer as a coach. If we want to be ambitious for our tournament in 2026, that would be a good idea to try something new, as we can see that the team under Fischer always seems to collapses in big moment (our last 3 quarters have been like this unfortunately).

I really hope to see Josi at this tournament. But I'm pretty sure he still has a few years in front of him, so, I'm hoping that we see him with the NT at least once again. To have the entire team in 2026 would be something truely special but as we all know, we can't count on this (We still can hope that NHL will let player go at the 2026 olympics).

And we have two of our best offensive player (and a solid defenseman also) who plays together in a young team with a bright future. So it's likely that we won't be able to take them every year.

So I really hope we will produce some very strong players in years to come cause with all those uncertainty we need a bit more depth.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Some good and bad in the two France games. France had a pretty weak team even by their standards and didn't create much, but their aggressive style of play put Switzerland in trouble on Friday and during the first period today. They often overcommitted in their pressure and I'm a bit disappointed Switzerland didn't manage to exploit that more instead of insisting with their quick transition that played right into France's strength.

Individually so far I liked the play by the defensemen, particularly Aebischer and Egli. The forwards were a bit underwhelming at time though, some players just don't belong there. Kneubühler has decent skills but zero hockey sense, and Schmid and Fahrni aren't ready yet. They are my bet for the first cuts. I was also disappointed by Moy as he should have been able to produce more at this level if he wants to show he can make the team.

Now we need all the help we can get at forward, so hopefully Andrighetto, Hofmann, Simion and Herzog will join. Maybe Martschini and Senteler too.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fischer said 7 are leaving and 6 or 7 are joining.
Which would be much less than hoped.

Possibilities:
Moser, Berni, Geisser, Kukan, Andrighetto, Hofmann, Simion, Herzog, Martschini, Senteler

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I heard 8 leaving and "more or less the same number" joining (interview by RSI after the game).

There are 4 NHL players that missed the playoffs. Then from Zug and ZSC there's Genoni, Kukan, Geisser, Andrighetto, Hofmann, Simion and Herzog.

Maybe there's a chance some players will only join after the games in Latvia?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I'm guessing Swiss fans are hoping the Devils lose out quickly to the Rangers. Wonder how many of Hischier, Meier, Siegenthaler and Schmid would come.

If they could get all of them + Josi and the other NHLers who are out of the playoffs, Switzerland could be a gold contender.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Josi not confirmed out yet. Andrighetto, Hofmann, Martschini, Kurashev and Suter injured. The forward depth is getting thin.

Genoni, Geisser, Kukan, Berni, Senteler, Herzog and Simion added. Moser will join next week.

Waeber, Senn, Aebischer, Frick, Vouardoux, Bader, Fahrni and Jäger. I'm a bit surprised Jäger was cut rather than Kneubühler or Schmid, and I'd have kept Frick and Aebischer over Glauser.

There's still some potential additions from the finalists, but not that much scoring power. Van Pottelberghe and Haas are the only Bienne players I can see being called. Delémont is interesting but there's no spot for him with this group of defensemen. From Geneva, Karrer, Rod, Praplan and Miranda are upgrades over some of the current players, but won't provide the firepower that the injured forwards would have.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Puh, that's hard to take. Defense looks very solid. But offense, hell. Fischer seems to like Glauser. He wasn't convincing last year and made the final team and played very well at the WC.

There is a need for Hischier and Nino.

I'd add Simon Le Coulte to the list of Geneva-players who could be an option.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I thought about Le Coultre, but he's in the same situation as Delémont. Not enough time to show he belongs. When you look at the defense, Loeffel and Marti are potentially the next cuts. It's hard to imagining a youngster cracking that lineup.

There's still Malgin and Fiala at forward, although I don't know how big Fiala's injury is.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Not exactly like Délemont in my opinion. Délemeont has 9 minutes of ice-time per game while Le Coultre plays close to 20 minutes and has 0.5 PPG, before and after his inury. But yeah, it's much tougher to crack defense than offense this year.

I wouldn't be too optimistic about Fiala. If he doesn't play now and he comes back he'll probably need time after the season to heal up. And M algin is also RFA. Maybe Knak gets an option again, he'd be an upgrade.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Also Haas currently plays with a special Helmet. He also may opt out.

What about Tanner Richard? Tino Kessler?

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Not exactly like Délemont in my opinion. Délemeont has 9 minutes of ice-time per game while Le Coultre plays close to 20 minutes and has 0.5 PPG, before and after his inury. But yeah, it's much tougher to crack defense than offense this year.

I wouldn't be too optimistic about Fiala. If he doesn't play now and he comes back he'll probably need time after the season to heal up. And M algin is also RFA. Maybe Knak gets an option again, he'd be an upgrade.

Obviously not the same caliber of players, but I meant that the reasoning is similar.

Knak is an upgrade over some of the players on that roster, but I don't think he'd have a significant impact on the offensive firepower.

I don't know about Haas. Richard hasn't been called since 2019, I'm not sure Fischer counts on him. Kessler is having great playoffs, but he's not exactly the kind of player that would take this team to the next level.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, we're not talking about taking to the next level but about small improvements. :)

Richard is obviously not an easy character, but he is one of the maybe 6 best Swiss Centers at the moment.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
So next cut is here:

Out:
Ludovic Waeber, Gilles Senn, David Aebischer, Lukas Frick, Nathan Vouardoux, Ken Jäger, Thierry Bader, Joshua Fahrni

In:
Leonardo Genoni
Tim Berni
JJ Moser (one more week break and then he will join)
Tobias Geisser
Dean Kukan
Fabrice Herzog
Sven Senteler
Dario Simion

Injured and not coming:
Pius Suter
Philip Kuraschew
Sven Andrighetto
Grégory Hofmann
Lino Martschini

still open:
Roman Josi

I mean we are going to be fine on D, especially if Josi is coming. I just don't see who is going to score the goals. Hischier, Fiala and Nino are a must have if we want to go deep. Meier would be amazing but I don't see him coming with the contract situation. And also Fiala is coming off an injury and if they get kicked out of the Playoffs I could see him taking a break.

Great to have Genoni on board. With potentially Schmid joining we would be very very solid on the most important position.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00