WC: 2023 Sweden Roster Talk

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
If Toronto has told him that I think they made it up to make him not go to the worlds. But if what he writes is actually correct then someone has indeed handled the conversation with Willy really poorly.
It does not seem very realistic to me that the position of Alexander should decide that William will not come. Rather, I think the chaos caused by the end of Dubas and the running out of time for Hallam meant they didn't want to wait any longer. Unfortunately for William, he doesn't take as much money as Marner so he can rest easy and secure his position.

William was given enough time for things to be resolved around him. I would also prefer to close the roster in place of Hallam and not wait any longer. It's all just speculation now, it could have been resolved much earlier.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
William was given enough time for things to be resolved around him. I would also prefer to close the roster in place of Hallam and not wait any longer. It's all just speculation now, it could have been resolved much earlier.
Yes, this is probably something like this that happened. Willy, for whatever reason, couldn't give Hallam a clear answer. Then Hallam gave Willy a deadline for the decision which was probably today.

There is always a risk in bringing someone in mid-tournament. Changing the lines, ice time and roles etc. I think any player that comes in would at least have to play the last two games.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Perhaps he demanded that he will be guaranteed that he gets to play (perhaps even on the same line) with his brother - but swedish team leaders could not accept that kind of demand.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Yes, this is probably something like this that happened. Willy, for whatever reason, couldn't give Hallam a clear answer. Then Hallam gave Willy a deadline for the decision which was probably today.

There is always a risk in bringing someone in mid-tournament. Changing the lines, ice time and roles etc. I think any player that comes in would at least have to play the last two games.
Then there is the question of how much the arrival of William would affect the composition of the offensive ranks. Had he arrived today, he would have had 24 hours of jet lag and the game against Denmark ahead of him. And then, apparently, the match for first place in the group.

This team is not exactly the best in terms of individual quality, some teams have been better in the recent past. But what's impressive to me is that they can find a way to win, they're consistent in the fundamentals of the game, and most importantly, they have healthy confidence.

And they've been able to rely on both goalkeepers so far, so my expectations for this team are rising. My original requirement was guaranteed QF qualification after the first four matches, but after that I assumed a collapse in the quarter finals. Now I'd like to see progress to the weekend matches.

Reactions: weklof

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Then there is the question of how much the arrival of William would affect the composition of the offensive ranks. Had he arrived today, he would have had 24 hours of jet lag and the game against Denmark ahead of him. And then, apparently, the match for first place in the group.

This team is not exactly the best in terms of individual quality, some teams have been better in the recent past. But what's impressive to me is that they can find a way to win, they're consistent in the fundamentals of the game, and most importantly, they have healthy confidence.

And they've been able to rely on both goalkeepers so far, so my expectations for this team are rising. My original requirement was guaranteed QF qualification after the first four matches, but after that I assumed a collapse in the quarter finals. Now I'd like to see progress to the weekend matches.
Well Yeah they basically outfinlanded Finland..

But on Willy affecting the composition of the group I think Hallams post-game comments rules that out.

Johan asked Hallam wether he thought he couldn’t find a place for Willy on which Hallam responded. Well that would be a rather arrogant take towards one of the best wingers in the game.

Reactions: hak

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Media doing their best to cause unrest and making the team unsure. Doing the job of the opponents. Sweden can count themselves lucky that they have Hallam who can defuse that situation.

Reactions: hak and EK47

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Without Nylander I can't see us winning. We've won four games, but the fact is, the one time we met a good opponent (Finland) we didn't create much of anything offensively.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Without Nylander I can't see us winning. We've won four games, but the fact is, the one time we meet a good opponent (Finland) we didn't create much of anything offensively.
gonna be one of czechia, canada, swiss or latvia we gonna face. cant see us beat any of them.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Sandin's able to walk normally, so that's good news, at least.

Reactions: EK47

EK47

Feb 7, 2013

Not holding my breath, just this tournament there has been positive news about Pettersson, Dahlin and Nylander that turned out to be so-so.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden

I am surprised. I was at the game and could hear his screams of pain. Thought for sure it was ACL tear or something similar. Good news!

Reactions: Slimmy

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
What about Petersson? No information?
Haven’t seen anything yet atleast. First he fell getting his skate stuck somehow extending his knee and then he did something to aggravate it. Neither situation (Petersson and Sandin) looked good at all.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The problem against USA was that we try to play too offensive. We need to play like we did against Finland. Be strong in our own zone.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Getting Sandin back makes a world of difference. Best player on the team in my opinion. You could really tell today how badly we need his creativity on the blueline to generate any offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad