WC: 2023 Sweden Roster Talk

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Anyways, not everything was horrible with this team.

Andre Petersson, Lindberg, Nemeth, Leo, Grundström, Raymond, Wallstedt and Berggren did a good job.

It was a misstake to bring in Silfverberg and Alexander Nylander. Just awful both of them. They where supposed to be in our top 6 and produce points. People have this romantics with Alexander becuse of William and nothing else. He is nothing special.

Zetterlund and Linus Johansson had problems with sickness during the tournament. So cant really judge them. I saw that especially on Zetterlund, the physical game he had in Czech Hockey Games was gone in WC.

Was it the loss to Belarus in 2002 that convinced you to be a follower of Sweden or Czechia burning us with 1-6 in world cup 2004?
No, it was Tommy Salo and his big mistake in the QF. Even then, Sweden had a team ready for gold, they won 5-2 against Canada in the group. It didn't come until four years later. Who knows how we would rate Sweden today if both SLC and Torino won. But I'm a Colorado fan, I got a Colorado cap as a little kid and there was a player with number 21...and my personal opinion is Forsberg>Jagr, always and everywhere.

Reactions: Slimmy

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Sweden has 100+ players in the NHL, about another 50 in the AHL, so why not field 17 guys from NA and eight from Europe? Give older Euro players a chance and wait and hope that this time it will be different? The match against the USA absolutely and completely confirmed it. An excellent skating team will always beat the Euro players head on, the tempo play and aggressive attacking will then make Pudas and Tömmernes unable to react. I have no criticisms against these two defenders, it's just that their decision-making speed limits them significantly.

If Hallam doesn't want to see players from the NL and SHL falling behind players from the NHL/AHL/NCAA, Sweden won't be better. The qualitative difference between the NHL and the European leagues is getting bigger and bigger. But the number of places on the roster of teams in the NHL is limited, so the AHL has significantly higher quality. And exactly this style of play will dominate in the future, because teams that play fast, skating hockey dominate the game. The cautious and more defensively oriented hockey played by, for example, Finland will collapse over time. Simply because other teams are able to adapt and find a weakness in this style.

It's seriously strange how the people in charge in Sweden can still believe that a pool of Euro players will be competitive against NA players. Hockey still has some development and the game does not dominate at a slower pace. Now it's the third tournament in a row with Europlayers where no success has come..how many more tournaments will it take? Yeah, I know the Skoda Cup doesn't matter that much, but I just want to see a change of mindset in Swedish hockey. Getting even closer to the overseas style of play, because especially Canada and also the USA show that even with their F team they can compete with European countries.

As I wrote at the beginning, Sweden has never had as many players in NA as they have now, they must take advantage of that. Sure, I understand that it's not always possible to bring in someone like Dahlin, EP or Nylander, but looking around for Everberg, Rasmussen or Sörensen is silly. If Sweden does not start to use this numerical advantage, it will be doomed to an embarrassment with Latvia, Germany or Slovakia.
Excellent post. I agree completely. It also seemed to me that this Swedish team lacked passing tempo, and this is probably related. The Euro players are not used to play an uptempo game and are thus not used to make as quick decisions, this makes them hold the puck for longer. They are also not used to the aggressive forcheck that will force them to make quick decisions.

Hopefully Hallam will adapt, he tried to bring the defensive style that has been so successful in the SHL to the international stage, and it got exposed. Let's see if he adapts or doubles down. I wonder if any SHL coaches are watching and learning on how to beat the "Växjö tactis"?

Reactions: Slimmy and Dala

suovas

Sep 7, 2022
Sweden has 100+ players in the NHL, about another 50 in the AHL, so why not field 17 guys from NA and eight from Europe?

Why is it so effing hard for swedes to understand the true reason around championship participation?
We cant afford to pay insurance for them.

Of the NHL players in this years Team Sweden, average remaining contract length average is 1.1 years.
Why do think that is? They are cheap (er) to pay insurance for.

The NHL players in this years Team Sweden, the cap hit are on the low end. Most of them. Why do you think that is? They are cheap (er) to pay insurance for.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Why is it so effing hard for swedes to understand the true reason around championship participation?
We cant afford to pay insurance for them.

Of the NHL players in this years Team Sweden, average remaining contract length average is 1.1 years.
Why do think that is? They are cheap (er) to pay insurance for.

The NHL players in this years Team Sweden, the cap hit are on the low end. Most of them. Why do you think that is? They are cheap (er) to pay insurance for.
Well, of course the problem will be insurance in the coming years, so I expect a real star like Nylander or EP to come once every two or three years. Until then, it will be players with ELC, or players from third formations in the NHL with contracts around 3 or 3.5 million dollars. And I'm totally fine with that because these players are of a higher quality than the Euro players and they're used to the speed and tempo of the game.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Renberg is the only expert in SVT that speaks the truth. Martin and Loob tried to defend building the team with a foundation or SHL players, but Renberg shot them down. Without NHLers, Sweden is not better than this.

Unfortunatly, I think Hallam will maintain his strategy of building from a core of Euro players. They are trying to emulator Jukka Jalonens strategy. However, Finland failed this year as well. I don't think this what will be successful going forward.

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Tömmernes slows down the PP too much
He thrashed it last year as well, trying the same thing over and over again expecting a different result boggles my mind.

(Don't get me started on getting freebie points against scrape of the barrel teams.)

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
You do realise that IIHF keeps everything going mainly with money generated in this event? So even doing it every two years is out of reach but realistic. 4 years totally unrealistic and would only result in NHL being only powerful hockey governing body in the world.

I can see what you mean, but holy fk is it frustrating that it has been almost 10 years since we saw a pure best on best tournament.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
He thrashed it last year as well, trying the same thing over and over again expecting a different result boggles my mind.

(Don't get me started on getting freebie points against scrape of the barrel teams.)
the problem is, we need that type of players. someone has to score against the low tier teams.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Sad that Renberg is done. But, with SVT turning the studio more and more into diversity hour instead of hiring based on merit, I'm not surprised.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Sad that Renberg is done. But, with SVT turning the studio more and more into diversity hour instead of hiring based on merit, I'm not surprised.
Well yeah but Håkan Loob isn’t exactly a diversity hire though.

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
the problem is, we need that type of players. someone has to score against the low tier teams.
I'd rather win 3-2 vs Italy and win a gold (or at least make the semis), compared to beating Slovenia 7-2 and exiting in the quarter finals due to a PP that sucks against moderately good teams. So, no, I don't agree with that.

Reactions: weklof

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
I'm not sure about diversity hires, Jonas Andersson and Håkan Loob ain't exactly diversity hires. I think Maria Rooth is decent. Kim Martin I don't like, but at least she has the goalie expertise.

However, Renberg was the only expert on SVT that I liked. He spoke the truth, while the rest seemed as in love with the Everbergs and de la Roses as the coaches. I think SVTs broadcasts have gone downhill in recent years. I think both CMore and Viaplay would do a better job.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

Damm. He was pretty good, Just look at those NHL stats. I feel we are missing this type of players nowdays, technical wizards.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Damm. He was pretty good, Just look at those NHL stats. I feel we are missing this type of players nowdays, technical wizards.
Out of a whole load of players you choose to bring up Huselius? That's low, man.

• Haha
Reactions: Eye of Ra

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I'm not sure about diversity hires, Jonas Andersson and Håkan Loob ain't exactly diversity hires. I think Maria Rooth is decent. Kim Martin I don't like, but at least she has the goalie expertise.

However, Renberg was the only expert on SVT that I liked. He spoke the truth, while the rest seemed as in love with the Everbergs and de la Roses as the coaches. I think SVTs broadcasts have gone downhill in recent years. I think both CMore and Viaplay would do a better job.
True there's Jonas Andersson aswell. But the whole thing is turning into a joke. Leman was bad enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad