WC: 2023 Sweden Roster Talk

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Bulan. jk.

I don't think you should look for a coach in the SHL. Just get a coach who loves speed, & skill, doesn't matter who. Make Tre Kronor fun again.
Bulan is just like Hallam.

I say we need non-swedish coach. Many good coaches from NA

Let eye of ra shit on Swedish hockey for a couple of pages. It's at least more quality content than this swedish wc team.
nah im done, nothing else to say. we are shit and hallam is shit. thats it

Reactions: Slimmy

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I'm not surprised we're back to shitting on Swedish head coach. But, I was at least excited with the prospect of a coach that could make our NT punch above its weight for once. It was a shit team and it ended unsurprisingly in the qf. But, again, biggest let down was coaching.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Top nation in U18 yes.

not in U20 and best on best. What makes you think we are?

Yes please, Ramsey is far better than the wandering joke Hallam.

Based on the players we have in NHL, im not saying we would beat Canada and USA, but we stack up well against the russians and finns.

Last world juniors we finished 4th, that wild OT-loss vs the americans, not a bad tournament, and the tournament before 3rd. We should have a fantastic team this year, if carlsson and co returns.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Based on the players we have in NHL, im not saying we would beat Canada and USA, but we stack up well against the russians and finns.

Last world juniors we finished 4th, that wild OT-loss vs the americans, not a bad tournament, and the tournament before 3rd. We should have a fantastic team this year, if carlsson and co returns.
No golds since 2012 thought on U20...the game against Finland was lucky, watch the goal that gave us the victory, it was Finlands game.

its Canada, USA and Finland who always takes gold in U20

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Wow...coach benches one of his more consistent scorers and his team fails to score goals to beat Germany. That oughta go over well on exit interviews. I know Euro coaches love to not play "mid-level" NHL'ers and prefer to play SHL folks in the Worlds, but this is just bonkers.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
I'm disappointed with today's lineup, but I don't know how serious Carlsson's injury was and that he had to play on the wing. And he didn't play well today, really. Berggren as the thirteenth striker is a stupid joke. Why wasn't Lindberg 1C? A better player than Lindholm, moving up and playing with Raymond and Carlsson would be a better option.

In my opinion, the Europlayers were the weakness of the team and...it was a weakness. What a surprise. JDLR wasn't that bad for me, as one of the few group of Euro players. Tömmernes terrible against the USA, Lindholm also bad, Nemeth did not maintain the performances from the beginning of the tournament. And what to do now?

I hope Hallam will learn, it's his first tournament and as he worked well in the first five matches, the last two showed him that he still has a lot to learn. At EHT, they have to take younger players, build a basic axis with a view to the Skoda Cup. This team had eight offensive players aged 30+...that's an insanely high number. Guys like Holtz, Raymond, Eklund, Södeström should play for Skoda Cup, not people like Everberg and Rasmussen. Until the thinking of the people responsible for the selection of the roster changes, the game in the quarterfinals will continue to be difficult. So Sam Hallam, prove you are a quality coach and learn from your mistakes.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
The powerplay was atrocious the entire tournament. Every time we got a PP I thought "Well there's two minutes off the clock". No tempo in the passning just holding on to the puck for a couple of seconds, then pass ih slowly to the next guy who does the same and then eventually a shot from the outside. Completely anemic. Higher puck tempo and people in front of goal is what was needed.

I wonder if it was a fluke or something symptomatic that all EHT teams were knocked out in quaterfinals. In the NHL we see a trend towards uptempo, fast skating game. The EHT teams seems to play a slow defensive system, maybe it just doesn't work anymore.

Our only goal game in 4 on 4 when we finally had to skate and attack with speed

Last edited:
Reactions: Dala

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Tömmernes slows down the PP too much
Yes, Liljegren should've been the PP quaterback in Sandin absence. Tömmernes never shot shoots, just passes it slowly from side to side. Pudas looked better in PP2, but it is painfully obvious he is not good enough for international hockey

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Yes, Liljegren should've been the PP quaterback in Sandin absence. Tömmernes never shot shoots, just passes it slowly from side to side. Pudas looked better in PP2, but it is painfully obvious he is not good enough for international hockey
Tömmernes had a few really nice fake slappers in PP. One that nearly ended up in the net. Can't remember who it was that couldn't finish. Hit the post.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I thought Sam Hallam was supposed to be a good coach? What happened?

He is a good coach. We simply didn't have a good roster, which in turn is a mix of bad luck with injuries/contracts and a bad job by the Swedish federation to solve insurance problems and entice others to come and play.

On the other hand, he did have a better roster than Latvia's coach, but not enough to make winning a 'sure thing'.

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
It's better to address the root cause of the problem rather than just treating the symptoms, particularly in the case of the NHL. The restrictions that can prevent players from participating in the WC have been increasing every year. Currently, these restrictions include:

1. The player must be out of the playoffs.
  2. The player must not be in a contract year.
  3. The national team must pay a large amount of money for insurance.
  4. The player must not have any injury concerns.
These limitations significantly reduce the pool of available players, from 100 down to just 10 also added the fact that some players doesnt feel the need to go after playing 82 games of hockey in 9 months

Personally, I don't support the idea of adding players after the tournament has already begun. It would be better to field European players instead of flying someone across multiple time zones for just three games.

A new concept could involve the NHL shortening the season every four years to hold a WC in may with all players available, with 16 teams. In the years between, they could organize a European championship during the off-season with euro based players.

Alternatively, a more drastic approach would be to shut down the WC altogether and establish a European club hockey union that puts pressure on the NHL to allow players to participate. This idea is not fully thought out, but it could involve some form of boycott to make things difficult for the NHL.

Since attending the World Cup in Denmark in 2018, I haven't really been interested in it. Even then, my enthusiasm was somewhat lacking.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Tömmernes had a few really nice fake slappers in PP. One that nearly ended up in the net. Can't remember who it was that couldn't finish. Hit the post.
Lindberg, it hit the goalie pad first before the post, though. If Lindberg had sent it upwards just a tiny bit it would have been a goal.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
He is a good coach. We simply didn't have a good roster, which in turn is a mix of bad luck with injuries/contracts and a bad job by the Swedish federation to solve insurance problems and entice others to come and play.

On the other hand, he did have a better roster than Latvia's coach, but not enough to make winning a 'sure thing'.
How is he a good coach? I saw he got some praise in media aswell today. People are so deluded.

He benched Berggren, our best offensive player. He played grinders in the last shifts. Hallam is NOT a good coach.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
It's better to address the root cause of the problem rather than just treating the symptoms, particularly in the case of the NHL. The restrictions that can prevent players from participating in the WC have been increasing every year. Currently, these restrictions include:

1. The player must be out of the playoffs.
  2. The player must not be in a contract year.
  3. The national team must pay a large amount of money for insurance.
  4. The player must not have any injury concerns.
These limitations significantly reduce the pool of available players, from 100 down to just 10 also added the fact that some players doesnt feel the need to go after playing 82 games of hockey in 9 months

Personally, I don't support the idea of adding players after the tournament has already begun. It would be better to field European players instead of flying someone across multiple time zones for just three games.

A new concept could involve the NHL shortening the season every four years to hold a WC in may with all players available, with 16 teams. In the years between, they could organize a European championship during the off-season with euro based players.

Alternatively, a more drastic approach would be to shut down the WC altogether and establish a European club hockey union that puts pressure on the NHL to allow players to participate. This idea is not fully thought out, but it could involve some form of boycott to make things difficult for the NHL.

Since attending the World Cup in Denmark in 2018, I haven't really been interested in it. Even then, my enthusiasm was somewhat lacking.
You do realise that IIHF keeps everything going mainly with money generated in this event? So even doing it every two years is out of reach but realistic. 4 years totally unrealistic and would only result in NHL being only powerful hockey governing body in the world.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Sweden has 100+ players in the NHL, about another 50 in the AHL, so why not field 17 guys from NA and eight from Europe? Give older Euro players a chance and wait and hope that this time it will be different? The match against the USA absolutely and completely confirmed it. An excellent skating team will always beat the Euro players head on, the tempo play and aggressive attacking will then make Pudas and Tömmernes unable to react. I have no criticisms against these two defenders, it's just that their decision-making speed limits them significantly.

If Hallam doesn't want to see players from the NL and SHL falling behind players from the NHL/AHL/NCAA, Sweden won't be better. The qualitative difference between the NHL and the European leagues is getting bigger and bigger. But the number of places on the roster of teams in the NHL is limited, so the AHL has significantly higher quality. And exactly this style of play will dominate in the future, because teams that play fast, skating hockey dominate the game. The cautious and more defensively oriented hockey played by, for example, Finland will collapse over time. Simply because other teams are able to adapt and find a weakness in this style.

It's seriously strange how the people in charge in Sweden can still believe that a pool of Euro players will be competitive against NA players. Hockey still has some development and the game does not dominate at a slower pace. Now it's the third tournament in a row with Europlayers where no success has come..how many more tournaments will it take? Yeah, I know the Skoda Cup doesn't matter that much, but I just want to see a change of mindset in Swedish hockey. Getting even closer to the overseas style of play, because especially Canada and also the USA show that even with their F team they can compete with European countries.

As I wrote at the beginning, Sweden has never had as many players in NA as they have now, they must take advantage of that. Sure, I understand that it's not always possible to bring in someone like Dahlin, EP or Nylander, but looking around for Everberg, Rasmussen or Sörensen is silly. If Sweden does not start to use this numerical advantage, it will be doomed to an embarrassment with Latvia, Germany or Slovakia.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden has 100+ players in the NHL, about another 50 in the AHL, so why not field 17 guys from NA and eight from Europe? Give older Euro players a chance and wait and hope that this time it will be different? The match against the USA absolutely and completely confirmed it. An excellent skating team will always beat the Euro players head on, the tempo play and aggressive attacking will then make Pudas and Tömmernes unable to react. I have no criticisms against these two defenders, it's just that their decision-making speed limits them significantly.

If Hallam doesn't want to see players from the NL and SHL falling behind players from the NHL/AHL/NCAA, Sweden won't be better. The qualitative difference between the NHL and the European leagues is getting bigger and bigger. But the number of places on the roster of teams in the NHL is limited, so the AHL has significantly higher quality. And exactly this style of play will dominate in the future, because teams that play fast, skating hockey dominate the game. The cautious and more defensively oriented hockey played by, for example, Finland will collapse over time. Simply because other teams are able to adapt and find a weakness in this style.

It's seriously strange how the people in charge in Sweden can still believe that a pool of Euro players will be competitive against NA players. Hockey still has some development and the game does not dominate at a slower pace. Now it's the third tournament in a row with Europlayers where no success has come..how many more tournaments will it take? Yeah, I know the Skoda Cup doesn't matter that much, but I just want to see a change of mindset in Swedish hockey. Getting even closer to the overseas style of play, because especially Canada and also the USA show that even with their F team they can compete with European countries.

As I wrote at the beginning, Sweden has never had as many players in NA as they have now, they must take advantage of that. Sure, I understand that it's not always possible to bring in someone like Dahlin, EP or Nylander, but looking around for Everberg, Rasmussen or Sörensen is silly. If Sweden does not start to use this numerical advantage, it will be doomed to an embarrassment with Latvia, Germany or Slovakia.
Swedish NT never takes out players from Czechia league, DEL, AHL, Liiga, EBEL, NCAA, CHL Juniors etc. Its foolish because there is good swedish players there.

Did you not say before btw that you will stop cherring for Sweden if Sweden dont improve? Maybe its time for you to go back cheering for Czechia, who is doing better than Sweden.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Swedish NT never takes out players from Czechia league, DEL, AHL, Liiga, EBEL, NCAA, CHL Juniors etc. Its foolish because there is good swedish players there.

Did you not say before btw that you will stop cherring for Sweden if Sweden dont improve? Maybe its time for you to go back cheering for Czechia, who is doing better than Sweden.
So please find me where I wrote it. I don't remember anything like that and I don't even think I would have written it. Czech hockey is one big joke, I will always support Sweden, even if they don't play in the semi-finals at the Skoda Cup. I've been supporting Sweden since Salt Lake City.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Anyways, not everything was horrible with this team.

Andre Petersson, Lindberg, Nemeth, Leo, Grundström, Raymond, Wallstedt and Berggren did a good job.

It was a misstake to bring in Silfverberg and Alexander Nylander. Just awful both of them. They where supposed to be in our top 6 and produce points. People have this romantics with Alexander becuse of William and nothing else. He is nothing special.

Zetterlund and Linus Johansson had problems with sickness during the tournament. So cant really judge them. I saw that especially on Zetterlund, the physical game he had in Czech Hockey Games was gone in WC.

So please find me where I wrote it. I don't remember anything like that and I don't even think I would have written it. Czech hockey is one big joke, I will always support Sweden, even if they don't play in the semi-finals at the Skoda Cup. I've been supporting Sweden since Salt Lake City.
Was it the loss to Belarus in 2002 that convinced you to be a follower of Sweden or Czechia burning us with 1-6 in world cup 2004?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad