Choice B would be phenomenal. Walk away with two of:

- RHD: Reinbacher/Willander
- Forward: Benson/Honzek

Geterdone, Army! 🎶

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Which forwards are you skeptical of?

Now that I know where the Blues pick and I've seen McKenzie's list and had a chance to watch more video...basically all of the ones I think have a chance of slipping to the Blues.

Perrault is smart and skilled, but is an average skater, doesn't have size, and doesn't wow me in other aspects. Dvorsky's speed is very lacking. I like many aspects of his game, but I can't get a bead on his ceiling. He could be another O'Reilly, but he'll probably always be slow. I don't see enough dominant skill to make up for that.

Barlow has a good shot and overall ability and has an NHL body, but I don't see the sweet mitts or vision he'll need to grow beyond a complementary goal scorer. Somebody that rides shotgun on a line he doesn't drive. Maybe there's more there, but I'm not overwhelmed. I don't clearly prefer his game to Snuggerud's - and I shouldn't be saying that about a guy projected to go so high in a draft that's supposed to be so great.

Wood is awkward as hell. He's smart and big and has a good shot, but, again, big question marks for me.

I like Honzek's overall package, but I'd like to see him be a lot more dominant for a player of his size and skill. If he turns out to be an intense NHLer, could be a gem of the class. Or he could be too close to Mantha.

I like Moore's game. I don't know if he has the highest upside overall, but I see the player he could become a bit more clearly.

I like Danielson, but I question his overall impact beyond his skating. He doesn't wow me in other ways.

I don't think I've seen enough Yager or Benson to have much of an opinion. I think Benson was another guy who was undersized and also not especially quick, but I could be confusing him with someone else. And, to be clear, I don't have very strongly held opinions about any of these guys. I don't pretend to be an expert. I just question whether or not the Blues are picking in an unfortunate crater in the draft that has an outstanding high end and might have a nice tail stretching beyond the first round.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019

I've come around on Dragicevic. Apparently he transitioned to defense not that long ago, maybe in a few years he can get close to an average defensive projection. The offensive ability I think is the best in the class even better than ASP. I thought he was easily Canada's best defenseman at the U18's from what I saw.

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
Wood is awkward as hell. He's smart and big and has a good shot, but, again, big question marks for me.

Interesting take. Almost makes me wonder what he may become once he gets used to that 6'-4" frame. How was his speed?

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
Now that I know where the Blues pick and I've seen McKenzie's list and had a chance to watch more video...basically all of the ones I think have a chance of slipping to the Blues.

Perrault is smart and skilled, but is an average skater, doesn't have size, and doesn't wow me in other aspects. Dvorsky's speed is very lacking. I like many aspects of his game, but I can't get a bead on his ceiling. He could be another O'Reilly, but he'll probably always be slow. I don't see enough dominant skill to make up for that.

Barlow has a good shot and overall ability and has an NHL body, but I don't see the sweet mitts or vision he'll need to grow beyond a complementary goal scorer. Somebody that rides shotgun on a line he doesn't drive. Maybe there's more there, but I'm not overwhelmed. I don't clearly prefer his game to Snuggerud's - and I shouldn't be saying that about a guy projected to go so high in a draft that's supposed to be so great.

I like Honzek's overall package, but I'd like to see him be a lot more dominant for a player of his size and skill. If he turns out to be an intense NHLer, could be a gem of the class. Or he could be too close to Mantha.

I like Moore's game. I don't know if he has the highest upside overall, but I see the player he could become a bit more clearly.

I like Danielson, but I question his overall impact beyond his skating. He doesn't wow me in other ways.

I don't think I've seen enough Yager or Benson to have much of an opinion. I think Benson was another guy who was undersized and also not especially quick, but I could be confusing him with someone else. And, to be clear, I don't have very strongly held opinions about any of these guys. I don't pretend to be an expert. I just question whether or not the Blues are picking in an unfortunate crater in the draft that has an outstanding high end and might have a nice tail stretching beyond the first round.
I think you have a pretty accurate take in your write up. Benson is an average skater but has incredible talent. The concern is some of these smaller players are more likely to get hurt like Fabbri did. And Yager has a pro shot but some think he might be too small for a center & may not be a good enough passer. A good to average skater.

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
I think you have a pretty accurate take in your write up. Benson is an average skater but has incredible talent. The concern is some of these smaller players are more likely to get hurt like Fabbri did. And Yager has a pro shot but some think he might be too small for a center & may not be a good enough passer. A good to average skater.
I wish the Blues would pick Benson but I think they will Honzek if he is there.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Bedard
Fantilli
Carlsson, Leo
Smith, Will
Leonard, Ryan
Dvorsky
Reinbacher
Willander
Wood, Matthew
Simashev
Barlow
Danielson
Michkov
Perrault
Benson, Zach
Musty
Honzek
Sale
Stenberg
Ritchie
Edstrom
Wahlberg
Sandin Pelikka
Moore, Oliver
Yager
But
Nadeau, Bradley
Halttunen
Heidt
Bonk

I guess I decided on my first round list. Right or Wrong.

Reactions: Blueston

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Taking the average of 38 different rankings since June 1, This is the top 50

Bedard
Fantilli
Carlsson, Leo
Michkov
Smith, Will
Benson, Zach
Leonard, Ryan
Dvorsky
Reinbacher
Moore, Oliver
Sandin Pelikka
Perrault
Wood, Matthew
Barlow
Danielson
Simashev
Yager
Honzek
Willander
Sale
Stenberg
Ritchie
Musty
But
Cristall
Gulyayev
Brindley
Heidt
Nadeau, Bradley
Gauthier
Edstrom
Bonk
Dragicevic
Halttunen
Molendyk
Sawchyn
Fisker Molgaard
Ziemmer
Stramel
Perron
Lindstein
Lardis
Wahlberg
Strbak
Morin
Rehkopf
Akey
Nelson, Danny
Price, Caden
Whitelaw

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
So last night I had a dream so vivid it had to be a premonition. The Blues end up keeping all 3 draft picks and draft, #10 Willander, #25 Simashev (falls due to Russia factor) and #29 Edstrom. That would be a pretty successful draft in my eyes.

If that's how the draft actually goes; I'll be calling for Army's head around 9 PM on Wednesday.
That's pretty darn close to being the worst possible outcome for us.

I have faith that Army is smarter than that.

Reactions: Blueswin

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
If that's how the draft actually goes; I'll be calling for Army's head around 9 PM on Wednesday.
That's pretty darn close to being the worst possible outcome for us.

I have faith that Army is smarter than that.

Why?? Two young cornerstone pieces on defense who will be ready when our core begins aging out of their contracts and a pretty safe middle six center who does it all.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
With Schenn and Saad getting older and with Buchnevich being a year away from UFA, maybe we should go forward. I was all about D too.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
With Schenn and Saad getting older and with Buchnevich being a year away from UFA, maybe we should go forward. I was all about D too.

Difference to me is we already have some forward prospects on house to replace those minutes. Snuggarud, Bolduc, Neighbours, Dean all have shown promise. Now it is impossible to predict how they turn out but they all have serious upside. You look at defenseman prospects we are loaded with "projects" and "longshots" but no one with serious top pairing upside.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Hoping for Reinbacher/Perreault/Wood at 10

Musty/But at 25

Heidt at 29

I don’t think we’re actually going to make all three picks, but if we do that would be what I’d like to see.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Why?? Two young cornerstone pieces on defense who will be ready when our core begins aging out of their contracts and a pretty safe middle six center who does it all.

"Cornerstone pieces"?
They project as second pairing guys at best. Second pairing D men are not "cornerstone pieces". They are interchangeable parts. 6 of them get moved at the trade deadline every single year. It is a COMPLETE waste of a top 10 pick.

You took 3 first round picks and ended up with 2 spare part D men and a 3rd line forward. That is flat out terrible use of our draft capital.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
"Cornerstone pieces"?
They project as second pairing guys at best. Second pairing D men are not "cornerstone pieces". They are interchangeable parts. 6 of them get moved at the trade deadline every single year. It is a COMPLETE waste of a top 10 pick.

You took 3 first round picks and ended up with 2 spare part D men and a 3rd line forward. That is flat out terrible use of our draft capital.
We aren’t drafting them if we think they are spare parts. If we draft them in 1st we think they are at least top 4d and top 6 forwards.

Reactions: tfriede2

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
"Cornerstone pieces"?

I still don't think he lasts to 25, but it's not often that you get D prospects as talented as Simashev going that late. Turning half a season of ROR into a long time of Simashev is a win to me. He's got less warts than the forwards around there.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
"Cornerstone pieces"?

I think your assessment of Willander and Simashev "being second pairing at best," is woefully off the mark. I think that is the floor for those two. Are they surefire top pairing guys... no but I think they both have that potential. Hell most mocks have them as the #2 and #3 defenseman in this draft behind Reinbacher. Are you telling me that their is only one defenseman in this entire draft who is capable of top pairing minutes. I don't buy that. Moreover, my point still stands even if they only become second pairing guys in that we currently don't have anyone in our system that projects to that. We have several that we are hopeful can reach that but don't have anyone under 30 outside of the perpetually injured Perunovich (and even thats a stretch) that looks like they could step in and play in the top 4.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I still don't think he lasts to 25, but it's not often that you get D prospects as talented as Simashev going that late. Turning half a season of ROR into a long time of Simashev is a win to me. He's got less warts than the forwards around there.

The only reason I could see it happening is if teams get scared off by the Russian factor, which is even more amplified this year more than previous years. He is currently projected to go somewhere in the mid teens in most mocks. Seeing as how the talent in the 15-30 range is pretty comparable I could see 8-10 teams going safer with those picks and watch him slide.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
The only D i would take at 10 is Reinbacher, i like Willander but not till like 15 or later.

That is fair. If Reinbacher is available at 10 I would take him but have a feeling he will be long gone by then. To me I was really impressed by some of the film I saw of Willander on youtube a few months back. He just has a calmness back on defense and a very smart stick. He could be that guy in a few years when everyone is looking back at this draft wondering, "how in the hell did he make it pick #10."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad