2023 NHL Draft Thread: Get hard for Connor Bedard

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im not in favor of trading addison but lots of chatter on youtude vids the lack of RHD prospects with offensive upside so i believe there should be huge interest in addison. is gulyayev really better than addison? buffalo; pens; nuckers; seattle; philly; Ottawa all sound like thats what they are looking for.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
im not in favor of trading addison but lots of chatter on youtude vids the lack of RHD prospects with offensive upside so i believe there should be huge interest in addison. is gulyayev really better than addison?
I am another who thinks that trading Addison is pretty crazy, as he showed a clear skill last year at running the PP, something we have had trouble doing. Until something better comes along, surely he can still be a 3rd pairing/PP guy? Love the way he moves the puck quickly on the PP.

I get that he is not a great defensive player, but he was a rookie, and surely he will improve some? I mean, we all loved Klingberg for the first few games, till we realized that he isn't much better than Addison defensively, is much more expensive, AND he will not get any better.

I certainly don't want to trade him away for a late 2nd, or something like that.

Sebastien

May 1, 2022
im not in favor of trading addison but lots of chatter on youtude vids the lack of RHD prospects with offensive upside so i believe there should be huge interest in addison. is gulyayev really better than addison? buffalo; pens; nuckers; seattle; philly; Ottawa all sound like thats what they are looking for.
This is what sucks with Dean Evason as a coach and Bill Guerin as gm. Wasn't there a report when fiala was traded, two parts were him.not playing defense and him crashing with Dean Evason so Guerin pretty much chose Evason?

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
This is what sucks with Dean Evason as a coach and Bill Guerin as gm. Wasn't there a report when fiala was traded, two parts were him.not playing defense and him crashing with Dean Evason so Guerin pretty much chose Evason?
It was cap reasons. People will say you could make it work, but realistically, it wasn't possible.

Sebastien

May 1, 2022
It was cap reasons. People will say you could make it work, but realistically, it wasn't possible.
I understand cap reasons but my question is, wasn't there a report like this after the trade where Russo basically came out, and explained a fracture relationship along with Fiala not having a two way game caused the gm to not want him around?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
ask yourself how many teams could use "instant offense"? i remember posters hated skoula; prosser; even i wasn't a fan of schultz because they had no offense yet posters dislike addison because of no defense.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
ask yourself how many teams could use "instant offense"? i remember posters hated skoula; prosser; even i wasn't a fan of schultz because they had no offense yet posters dislike addison because of no defense.
The primary function of a defenseman is defense, no?

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
overly simplistic, but you know that...
Usually, if a defenseman is bad at defense, they have to be overwhelmingly good at offense and dictate play to make up for it. Guys like Karlsson and Burns are a good example. I don't think Addison does either of those things.

Reactions: TaLoN

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
In seriousness I think the primary function of all 5 skaters on the ice is to keep the puck out of the defensive zone and in the offense zone as much as possible. Each player is going to have their own way of trying to make that happen, but as long as they're successful, I'm not really concerned with how they do it. So a defenseman who's lost in the offensive zone is just as worthless to me as a defenseman who can't escape their own zone.

Reactions: DANOZ28

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Usually, if a defenseman is bad at defense, they have to be overwhelmingly good at offense and dictate play to make up for it. Guys like Karlsson and Burns are a good example. I don't think Addison does either of those things.
You are expecting Addison, who makes under 1M, to be as good as Karlsson, who makes 11.5M?
Did you steal @BagHead 's Beer helmet?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
In seriousness I think the primary function of all 5 skaters on the ice is to keep the puck out of the defensive zone and in the offense zone as much as possible. Each player is going to have their own way of trying to make that happen, but as long as they're successful, I'm not really concerned with how they do it. So a defenseman who's lost in the offensive zone is just as worthless to me as a defenseman who can't escape their own zone.

Addison was both of those things last year 5v5.

Reactions: TaLoN

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Addison was both of those things last year 5v5.

I'm not talking about just Addison specifically, but in regards to him, it's important to remember that he was a 22 year old rookie playing on the third pair. He wasn't the biggest problem on the team and he can get better (that's the purpose of a coaching staff). That's not an excuse to dump him this summer.

Reactions: StateofCelly

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
You are expecting Addison, who makes under 1M, to be as good as Karlsson, who makes 11.5M?
Did you steal @BagHead 's Beer helmet?
No, what I'm saying is if you are not good at one end of the ice, you better be damn good at the other end. Look at Dumba for an example. His defensive miscues, turnovers, wrong reads, bad pinches, etc were easier to look past when he was scoring 50 points over a season.

Take Middleton as the equal and opposite of Addison. His offense is non-existent, but he's big and plays well defensively. He also complements some of Spurgeon's faults too.

Both players I view as expendable.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
No, what I'm saying is if you are not good at one end of the ice, you better be damn good at the other end. Look at Dumba for an example. His defensive miscues, turnovers, wrong reads, bad pinches, etc were easier to look past when he was scoring 50 points over a season.

Take Middleton as the equal and opposite of Addison. His offense is non-existent, but he's big and plays well defensively. He also complements some of Spurgeon's faults too.

Both players I view as expendable.

Middleton had a higher 5v5 P/60 than Addison.

I see Middleton is on a fair contract for what he is as a player: a bottom pair guy who can play up due to injuries. The problem is he has to play up all the time due to the roster/cap. I just don't see MN getting any better at that spot with it's current cap problems.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Addison had the highest P/PG of all rookie D that played a reasonable amount of games. Not Sanderson, not Power, not Guhle. And that's despite him playing over 4 minutes less per game than the other three.

And yet people want to move on from him, when he has the the potential to be the best PP Dman we've had in years, and at a bargain price to boot.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Middleton had a higher 5v5 P/60 than Addison.

I see Middleton is on a fair contract for what he is as a player: a bottom pair guy who can play up due to injuries. The problem is he has to play up all the time due to the roster/cap. I just don't see MN getting any better at that spot with it's current cap problems.
Middleton also gets to play with our highest scoring defenseman. You know what I found interesting? If you switch 5v5 to even strength, Addison's p/60 spikes from .56 to .85 and Middleton's p/60 slightly drops from .65 to .63.

I'm not a fan of Middleton in the top 4. There's no redeeming quality outside of he makes up for Spurgeon's size and strength weaknesses. I'd be interested to see if a guy like Hunt could make more of an impact.
Addison had the highest P/PG of all rookies that played a reasonable amount of games. Not Sanderson, not Power, not Guhle. And that's despite him playing over 4 minutes less per game than the other three.

And yet people want to move on from him, when he has the the potential to be the best PP Dman we've had in years, and at a bargain price to boot.
There's a fault in this argument, and that is would he put up the same numbers if Kaprizov wasn't on this team? He wasn't a goal scoring threat from the blue line (0 pp goals) and I don't recall any spectacular setups. We didn't get to see Addison on the PP without Kaprizov because at the point of Kaprizov's injury he was already off the top unit.

My question is more, is Addison actually that great at the power play or did Spurgeon/Suter being bad at it for the last 10 years make him look like a world beater?

I'm willing to give him another shot, but I'm also not going to get upset if he's traded for, say, an early to mid 2nd round pick.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Middleton also gets to play with our highest scoring defenseman. You know what I found interesting? If you switch 5v5 to even strength, Addison's p/60 spikes from .56 to .85 and Middleton's p/60 slightly drops from .65 to .63.

I'm not a fan of Middleton in the top 4. There's no redeeming quality outside of he makes up for Spurgeon's size and strength weaknesses. I'd be interested to see if a guy like Hunt could make more of an impact.

There's a fault in this argument, and that is would he put up the same numbers if Kaprizov wasn't on this team? He wasn't a goal scoring threat from the blue line (0 pp goals) and I don't recall any spectacular setups. We didn't get to see Addison on the PP without Kaprizov because at the point of Kaprizov's injury he was already off the top unit.

My question is more, is Addison actually that great at the power play or did Spurgeon/Suter being bad at it for the last 10 years make him look like a world beater?

I'm willing to give him another shot, but I'm also not going to get upset if he's traded for, say, an early to mid 2nd round pick.
I agree about Middleton. He has slow feet. One of the crucial GA in the final game about because he was beaten to a puck on the boards, yet everyone focussed on the lack of net coverage by the Wild players, forgetting that the situation wouldn't have happened if he had even average speed, or better anticipation. I am still fine with him on the squad at his cap hit, however, as he adds toughness that our D sorely needs, especially now that dumba is a virtual certainty to be gone.

We somewhat agree on Addison...what i like about him is that he moves the puck quickly and intelligently, and when he shoots the puck he gets it off quickly. At minimum ELC salary, it's hard to complain. If he was making 4-5+M it would be a different story.

I do think that you are underestimating his worth. The majority of 2nd rounders simply don't work out, and never have the sort of success he has. IMO, he is worth a pick in the 20's...he is a guy who has proven he has a NHL skill, is only a rookie, and is still under team control. If he is traded, though, i have to ask, who the hell would take his place? Spurgeon again? He is a really good player, but average at best on the PP. Faber, Midddleton, and Brodin are out. Goligoski? Really?
ROR got no PP TOI last year, while Hunt got a a liitle bit at the end, though Hicketts and Mermis ran the show. S Jo has some skills, but IMO is a longshot to ever make the NHL. Spacek, Lambos, Peart are at least a year away, probably 2-3, from having a sniff at the NHL, and even then are unproven on the PP at the NHL level. We have no cap space to sign a proven NHL PP guy...so that means we are fine with going back to an aging Spurgeon, who already has his hands full covering for Middleton at ES, and playing in critical defensive situations.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I agree about Middleton. He has slow feet. One of the crucial GA in the final game about because he was beaten to a puck on the boards, yet everyone focussed on the lack of net coverage by the Wild players, forgetting that the situation wouldn't have happened if he had even average speed, or better anticipation. I am still fine with him on the squad at his cap hit, however, as he adds toughness that our D sorely needs, especially now that dumba is a virtual certainty to be gone.

We somewhat agree on Addison...what i like about him is that he moves the puck quickly and intelligently, and when he shoots the puck he gets it off quickly. At minimum ELC salary, it's hard to complain. If he was making 4-5+M it would be a different story.

I do think that you are underestimating his worth. The majority of 2nd rounders simply don't work out, and never have the sort of success he has. IMO, he is worth a pick in the 20's...he is a guy who has proven he has a NHL skill, is only a rookie, and is still under team control. If he is traded, though, i have to ask, who the hell would take his place? Spurgeon again? He is a really good player, but average at best on the PP. Faber, Midddleton, and Brodin are out. Goligoski? Really?
ROR got no PP TOI last year, while Hunt got a a liitle bit at the end, though Hicketts and Mermis ran the show. S Jo has some skills, but IMO is a longshot to ever make the NHL. Spacek, Lambos, Peart are at least a year away, probably 2-3, from having a sniff at the NHL, and even then are unproven on the PP at the NHL level. We have no cap space to sign a proven NHL PP guy...so that means we are fine with going back to an aging Spurgeon, who already has his hands full covering for Middleton at ES, and playing in critical defensive situations.
I’d let Brodin run it of our options with faber running the point in pp2 to see which is better at it IF we trade Addison. I don’t wanna see Spurgeon there he sadly is disappointing there for whatever reason on the pp yet 5v5 he is fine up top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad