2023 NHL Draft Thread: Get hard for Connor Bedard

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This is a D poor, forward rich draft, where the forward depth extends well into the second round.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Yager or Ritchie in the first and Wahlberg/Rehkopf in the second is what I'd love to see. There are other players I'd be fine with but I think that is how I am leaning thus far.

Reactions: 57special

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
It's not a sure thing either way.
I agree. By all means take a C if one is available and rated as worthy of the selection. But if Perreault, Wood, ASP etc drop to 21 or if Brackett and his team really love a wing or defender that’s fine by me.

Our RHD depth is atrocious considering our FO won’t play Addison and Spurgeon is old and tiny in a league trending back towards big bluelines. And even LHD lacks a bluechip talent and some people think Simashev has that type of upside so I won’t mind him at 21 either.

Marat & Rossi arguably provide more certainty and proven pro productivity at C than Ohgren, Yurov do at the wing.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
lol ok. You don’t draft for need at 21. That’s just a horrible idea
It’s not a horrible idea it’s just not as liked as BPA if a player of much higher talent is there and plays RD/LD. I don’t see that happening considering the alleged forward depth this year. We need forwards with offensive skills and a shoot first mentality.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
The more I read about Matt Wood the more I like him.

I’m very doubtful Honzek will be there. If Moore or Yager start falling I’ve gotta think they move up for them, even if I’m not overly sold on either player. Danielson too, but I’m super sold on him. Ritchie doesn’t excite me much; a lot of people think he’s a winger anyways. I like Edstrom a lot but he’s probably not a meaningful part of this team for 4 or 5 years. Not saying I would take a guy like Wood or Sale over him, but those guys might be impact guys 3 years from now. Long term it’s probably more like Ek vs Boeser, so go with the better overall player I think, but it just adds another wrinkle. None of us know which of these players are going to hit, so at least a little part of the process for me has to be how excited I’m going to be about the “prospect” for the next couple of years. Rossi hasn’t hit yet, but when we drafted him that was some of the most excitement we’ve ever had around the future of the team. That type of stuff has value to me even if it shouldn’t lol. Maybe it’s because I have the belief that none of this is going to equate to a cup anyways, so whether I get happiness from looking forward to a player or the player actually producing, it’s all just seratonin manipulation no?

I digress. There’s probably some good typos in there to enjoy.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I'd be interested in Ritchie due to his injury and see if he can't get back where he was a couple years ago. Then again we have a cautionary tale in Lambos.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Sorry if you guys already discussed this but if Judd has 4 or 5 guys he likes at 21, and thinks we can drop back to say 24 or 25 and get an extra second, do we do it? Doubtful Yager will be there but many mocks/rankings have Ritchie/Stenberg/Sale/Heidt/Nadeau/Edstrom/But in the late teens to high twenties. Would you be OK with getting one of them and then having another pick in the second (and maybe two of our seconds get use in the 30s/low 40s of the second)?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Sorry if you guys already discussed this but if Judd has 4 or 5 guys he likes at 21, and thinks we can drop back to say 24 or 25 and get an extra second, do we do it? Doubtful Yager will be there but many mocks/rankings have Ritchie/Stenberg/Sale/Heidt/Nadeau/Edstrom/But in the late teens to high twenties. Would you be OK with getting one of them and then having another pick in the second (and maybe two of our seconds get use in the 30s/low 40s of the second)?
Yeah I’d definitely be ok with that, especially if it is an effort to move back up and get another pick around 35.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I’d move up for Moore or Danielson, but not sold on Yager or Ritchie

Wabit

May 23, 2016

It cost MN a dumpster 3rd to move up from 22 to 20 and draft Wallstedt a couple years ago.

I only trade back if there aren't drafting a center with their 1st.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
It cost MN a dumpster 3rd to move up from 22 to 20 and draft Wallstedt a couple years ago.

I only trade back if there aren't drafting a center with their 1st.
There will be some centers at 21 for sure. It just depends if Bracket has them all in the same tier or not, imo.

My thinking is...if we can get in the high 30s or low 40s and grab a Wahlberg/Rehkopf/Lardis, then a it might be worth it.

In short, I don't see a consensus that there is a player at 21 that is so much better than what you can get at 25 (heck maybe even 30), but it does seem like 30-45 is much better than 50s-60s, so I wouldn't mind grabbing two guys in the same tier, or one tier apart.

It's probably been 10+ years but someone posted a longitudinal study of % of games played past the 2nd round, and I believe there was a significant dropoff after mid-2nd round. Unsure if that still holds true, but I wouldn't be upset if they traded back and then got a higher 2nd...unless they drop back and grab a goalie or dman lol.

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Yeah, I mean the homerun pick imo would be Danielson. I think leaving with any of Danielson/Moore/Yager would be a win.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Do you know their reasoning?
I’d have to find the articles. I think part of it was outside of elite speed his game is average and his hockey iq is not what they like in a center. I’d still go for him and be happy but some people have doubts and I don’t watch enough to debate them.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Moore profiles very similar to Khusnutdinov, IMO. Extremely fast C with good defensive instincts and questionable NHL scoring upside and size. I see shades of Cirelli with a bit more offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad