• Yes but not top 10

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I guess one interesting question is what pick you could get for a one for one trade of Askarov for a pick? Askarov in my mind is equal value to 7OA but who knows if that is how other teams/scouts view them.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I feel like we may be able to move up to vancouvers spot if he take a bad contract from them but thats probably about as far forward we will be able to move but who knows. Trotz has his eyes on the top 5.... he may make a move that gives us all alot of heartbrun
Well, it could look sort of like a noose around neck as we swing from the fence... :naughty:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I feel like we may be able to move up to vancouvers spot if he take a bad contract from them but thats probably about as far forward we will be able to move but who knows. Trotz has his eyes on the top 5.... he may make a move that gives us all alot of heartbrun
The #11 move just seems to make so much more sense. We have both the roster and Cap space to take on a dump from them. They may still actually NEED to dump a player. And we suspect they can be reasonably hopeful of getting the player they like at #15 anyway (Willander).

Do that, swing for the fences, cross your fingers that the guy you get at #11 pans out as a star player.

Reload the harpoon gun for next year.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I guess one interesting question is what pick you could get for a one for one trade of Askarov for a pick? Askarov in my mind is equal value to 7OA but who knows if that is how other teams/scouts view them.
Well, if you ask the question on HFBoards, the only answer you'll get is that "goalies aren't worth that" blahblah. Which is possibly true. But sometimes NHL teams have weird ideas and do crazy things that are outside of any past precedents or expectations. Just... I don't know, I don't get too excited about trying to construct a trade proposal that requires an opposing GM to do something crazy/unexpected? :dunno:

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Well, if you ask the question on HFBoards, the only answer you'll get is that "goalies aren't worth that" blahblah. Which is possibly true. But sometimes NHL teams have weird ideas and do crazy things that are outside of any past precedents or expectations. Just... I don't know, I don't get too excited about trying to construct a trade proposal that requires an opposing GM to do something crazy/unexpected? :dunno:
There isn't a lot of incentive for a GM to run into the weeds screaming and make insanely "innovative" moves.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Depends on what the GM thinks of them. Typically goalies dont go early in draft because teams Typically already got their goaltending figured out for years in the future or are looking for help now so they turn to UFA market. I mean we drafted Askarov in the first round when Saros still has several good years infront of him. I may never fully comprehend this as that seems more like a start getting some 3-5 round pick goalies lined up but c'est la vie. Poile mustve seen something in him that he just had to have. If we can find another GM like that, then he may be willing to pay something like a 7-10th overall but Askarov is likely worth more to us now than he is in a trade

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
There is basically no way we can ever beat a Philly offer that includes a #7 pick.

The only other avenue that could have hypothetically let us in would be if a team needed to cut Cap or had some form of money trouble that we could help solve. But Montreal is a big market with lots of money, and not too many rebuilding teams are in any big Cap crunch. Montreal maybe has a few bad-ish contracts they wouldn't mind getting rid of, but "wouldn't mind" puts no pressure on them to do so via trading their #5 pick.

So we're not getting that pick.

Captain Trotz is just going to have to chase his white whale some other time, some other way. There ARE other fish in the ocean. Somewhere. Go find those other ones.
If Trotz dangles Askarov and the two firsts this year that’s a strong package. Askarov > 7th overall

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If Trotz dangles Askarov and the two firsts this year that’s a strong package. Askarov > 7th overall
I don't believe Askarov > 7th overall, for starters. But also past that, you also have to figure that if Montreal loves some other player sooooo much that they are willing to trade this presumed shot at Michkov to take that other player instead... well... then that #7 means A LOT to them.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I don't believe Askarov > 7th overall, for starters. But also past that, you also have to figure that if Montreal loves some other player sooooo much that they are willing to trade this presumed shot at Michkov to take that other player instead... well... then that #7 means A LOT to them.
All this talk about GMs shying away from Michkov... watch him go 3rd overall

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I guess my view on it is that Askarov did go 11OA in a draft already. Obviously each draft is different but given that he's progressed exactly as you'd hope to this point he's surely worth more now than he was when we drafted him. Montreal already has a top line of young players and no real goalie prospects in the pool so maybe Askarov is particularly enticing to them. They also had the success story of a high end goalie prospect being exactly as advertised so maybe that plays a role too (different management but still).

Like sure typically goalies don't have value but teams typically don't trade out of the top five either (once in the salary cap era) so the whole thing would be unprecedented if it happened. I suspect it is much ado about nothing and nothing crazy happens in the top ten, but who knows. Has at least made the build up interesting I suppose.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
All this talk about GMs shying away from Michkov... watch him go 3rd overall
Yeah, we follow the narrative... that we read here (mostly)... so maybe that whole narrative is bunk. Teams sometimes manage to blow a successful smokescreen.

I'm sure Trotz has a pretty good idea what the real roadmap looks like, though. When you have your whole entourage mixing and mingling throughout the combine and now, and guys riding the elevators at the hotels, 32 entourages x 10+ scouts and hockey ops folks all mixing and mingling... I think it builds a better narrative for him to go by than what we are reading every day here! :)

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I’m calling it:

11th + Myers for 15th + Carrier

It all depends on how the draft shakes out, but I can imagine that happening.

Predigree

Dec 4, 2015
Ebensee, Austria
Michkov is never ever going to us. Even if we get him and he is the new Ovi. Without a Star ( very good ) Center he is worth nothing.

Last edited:

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Michkov is never ever going to us. Even if we get him and he is the new Ovi. Without a Star Center he is worth nothing.

In a fantasy world where we actually get him it will be awhile before he shows up (assuming his timeline holds). Potentially plenty of time to find a decent enough center for him.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
To get to 5 seems very unlikely but could involve hopscotching up rather than a giant leap. 11 to 7 to 5? Hopefully at that point we won’t find our only remaining roster player is Foote and our draft picks for the next three years mirror TBL.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Who in your opinion is that guy?
Who knows. You think Tampa really thought Braden Point would turn out to be what he was based on where they drafted him? If they had known that answer he would have went much higher.

I mean anyone call the package we got from Tampa for an undrafted player 3 years ago?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Same reports still swirling that Trotz is working hard to move up.
I think we end up moving somewhere between 9th and 13th. Pipedream to move up further but would be neat. I shudder to think of the cost though. Just over 3 hrs till draft starts. Waiting is nearing an end.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Now Eklund has filled me with dread

"I am hearing there is significant push by the Predators to move their second first round pick to draft a specific d-man if he is available…"

A dman is the last thing i want to move up for

• Haha
Reactions: Kat Predator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad