Prospect Info: 2023 draft thread: Sharks tank miss, now we’ll get Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
North Brunswick, NJ
Never going to claim I know better than the people in an actual NHL front office, but if we pass on Michkov and he ends up being close to as good as people think he can be, I am going to be way more annoyed by that than if Will Smith turns out to be a good player for some other team. Would be great if Columbus passes on Carlsson to make it an easy choice for us. I would be far more excited with Carlsson or Michkov as someone to follow rather than Will Smith.

Then again, what do I know? Maybe Will Smith turns out better than the other 2. Just rooting for this team for almost three decades now has made me think that the best case scenario is not something that will happen to us.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I’m not sure what scares me more, the sharks picking Michkov and him not panning out (for whatever reason), or passing on Michkov and him filling his generational potential with another team? :help:
To be honest I would rather he succeed on another team because atleast we will have the other player to make up for it. But thats just assuming I have to choose those two options

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The decisions made this draft and offseason are going to have massive consequences down the road. This feels like 2003 and 2009; we didn't know it at the time but the decisions made then had heavy repercussions.

Reactions: landshark

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Grier suggests he’s picking a center. But is he being Blunt Grier or is he playing a very clever game to get Montreal to give him assets to move up to 4 so they can take Smith and he goes with Michkov at 5, like he always intended?

Stay tuned to find out on this episode of… the NHL draft!

Reactions: Sandisfan

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I thought if Sharks had won Bedard they wouldn't even have to rebuild as much as the instant high end talent would be there to play next season (including Karlsson).

Which makes me wonder if they are leaning on Smith over Michkov because he is incredibly skilled, dynamic, and can play next season with Eklund and Karlsson.

Will Smith, Eklund and Karlsson on the same team is actually pretty exciting.

And I'm a pretty big fan of Michkov as I consider him a genius but watching more of Smith its not like he isn't incredibly high IQ and dynamic as well.

And wow reading back if there is actually smoke of Smith to CBJ (which I can believe), Carlsson, Karlsson, and Eklund next season is something I would tune in for as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
I thought if Sharks had won Bedard they wouldn't even have to rebuild as much as the instant high end talent would be there to play next season (including Karlsson).

Which makes me wonder if they are leaning on Smith over Michkov because he is incredibly skilled, dynamic, and can play next season with Eklund and Karlsson.

Will Smith, Eklund and Karlsson on the same team is actually pretty exciting.

And I'm a pretty big fan of Michkov as I consider him a genius but watching more of Smith its not like he isn't incredibly high IQ and dynamic as well.

And wow reading back if there is actually smoke of Smith to CBJ (which I can believe), Carlsson, Karlsson, and Eklund next season is something I would tune in for as well.
Smith should not be in the NHL next year. They need to just be patient if they select him. His game still needs a lot of work to be NHL ready

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Smith should not be in the NHL next year. They need to just be patient if they select him. His game still needs a lot of work to be NHL ready

Yea he needs to add a lot of strength and maturity but honestly the league is a lot easier to play in now for players like Smith. Hooking and cross checks are increasingly automatic calls and Sharks actually have vets like Couture, Hertl and Karlsson who can insulate the youth and allow them to be creative.

He reminds me a little of Marner and Marner was able to step in as a 19 year old and be a 1st liner.

I could see Smith dropping 40-50 next season playing on the PP with Karlsson, Eklund, Hertl and Couture.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I thought this bit from Sheng was pretty damn telling. It’s gonna be a Center one way or the other.

quote from MG

“When you’re picking high, this high up in the Draft, No. 1, you want to just take the best player available. This year, it looks like it’s going to be a center,” Grier dropped.

Smoke screen or not? That might rule out wingers Matvei Michkov and Ryan Leonard, or defenseman David Reinbacher.

He complimented centers Will Smith, Leo Carlsson, and Adam Fantilli.

“He’s got kind of that competitive fire burning in him to be the best everyday in practice and in games,” Grier offered, when asked particularly about the highly-skilled Smith.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I thought this bit from Sheng was pretty damn telling. It’s gonna be a Center one way or the other.

quote from MG

“When you’re picking high, this high up in the Draft, No. 1, you want to just take the best player available. This year, it looks like it’s going to be a center,” Grier dropped.

Smoke screen or not? That might rule out wingers Matvei Michkov and Ryan Leonard, or defenseman David Reinbacher.

“He’s got kind of that competitive fire burning in him to be the best everyday in practice and in games,” Grier offered, when asked particularly about the highly-skilled Smith.

Where are you seeing these quotes?

Reactions: landshark

Grinner

May 31, 2022

quote from MG

What? That's the first time I've heard from anyone Smith has a competitive fire.
Either Grier us puffing him in hope someone will draft him first or trade up fir him ir fluffi g him because he's going to draft him.
What a load

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I literally found those quotes from my last post on Shengs Twitter…And in regard to Smith’s fire and competitiveness, I’ve heard several scouts, Smith himself, and now Grier mention his competitiveness, will to win and get better everyday. Believe what you want at the end of the day. Todays the day folks! Im excited to take either Smith or Carlsson at center. I’m predicting EK gets moved to Seattle today and we walk out of rd 1 with 3 1st rd selections. Not a bad start to the rebuild.

Last edited by a moderator:

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Yea he needs to add a lot of strength and maturity but honestly the league is a lot easier to play in now for players like Smith. Hooking and cross checks are increasingly automatic calls and Sharks actually have vets like Couture, Hertl and Karlsson who can insulate the youth and allow them to be creative.

He reminds me a little of Marner and Marner was able to step in as a 19 year old and be a 1st liner.

I could see Smith dropping 40-50 next season playing on the PP with Karlsson, Eklund, Hertl and Couture.
The only way Smith plays with Eklund and company next year is if they all go back to College

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Today is our reward for suffering through this season haha. Cheers ehhh
1687963642750.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad