Prospect Info: 2023-24 Prospect Info (CHL, NCAA, Europe)

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The quiet part out loud... decent chance Behrens doesn't sign.
Excellent -- we needed someone to truly hate around these parts with Johansen gone.

But nah, that would suck...is there a particular reason why that you're aware of? Concerns from his camp about opportunity? His time at DU made him realize the Colorado River actually sucks? Hope they ship him out this offseason if he won't sign...

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Avs made one signing and the. Shipped that out expect anything else. Is sward already signed on a elc?

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
It’s about getting a year burnt/so many games in the NHL. He’s happy to go back to DU and get NIL money for a year. I’d hope the Avs work to figure it out.
Has there been chatter about how much $$$ gets thrown at kids in college hockey? Lots of talk in college football but I hear nothing about hockey. Then again I live in an area where there isn't NCAA hockey within 500 miles.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Has there been chatter about how much $$$ gets thrown at kids in college hockey? Lots of talk in college football but I hear nothing about hockey. Then again I live in an area where there isn't NCAA hockey within 500 miles.
It cant be anything like the hoops and football NIL money but in context it’s probably still very good money for a college student.

Reactions: UnkleKraker

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It is pretty low in comparison. We’re talking top of end guys at big hockeyschools might (think we are less than an handful) approach AHL salaries. I’d expect if Behrens goes back he’s in the realm of 40-50k. Which would be less than AHL, but enough to where he won’t lose much and could find a more advantageous spot.

There are rumors that BU and Michigan are about to go big though. Talking 200+k. Cooley as a freshman only got like 10k… but I know Michigan had lined up 150 if he stayed. I don’t think the very top guys will be swayed too much… but those guys who may have to spend a year or two in AHL might stay longer in college without guarantees.

Reactions: UnkleKraker

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
It is pretty low in comparison. We’re talking top of end guys at big hockeyschools might (think we are less than an handful) approach AHL salaries. I’d expect if Behrens goes back he’s in the realm of 40-50k. Which would be less than AHL, but enough to where he won’t lose much and could find a more advantageous spot.

There are rumors that BU and Michigan are about to go big though. Talking 200+k. Cooley as a freshman only got like 10k… but I know Michigan had lined up 150 if he stayed. I don’t think the very top guys will be swayed too much… but those guys who may have to spend a year or two in AHL might stay longer in college without guarantees.
If true (and I have no reason to doubt you here), makes you wonder about the viability of the CHL for some of the top prospects going forward. USHL -> NCAA is already a better developmental route IMO. Why go CHL when you can make more money and do what's better for you as a hockey player in the NCAA..

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Sorry but in NCAA isn't it all about the amateur status. Is that money "under the table"? You make it sound like it's "known secret".

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If true (and I have no reason to doubt you here), makes you wonder about the viability of the CHL for some of the top prospects going forward. USHL -> NCAA is already a better developmental route IMO. Why go CHL when you can make more money and do what's better for you as a hockey player in the NCAA..
Part of the reason we are hearing rumblings of CHL/NCAA eligibility changes

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Part of the reason we are hearing rumblings of CHL/NCAA eligibility changes
From what I understood of that, players would still be locked into the CHL through their U20 seasons. So I'm not sure that changes too much. Take Calum Ritchie.. let's say he played USHL for his d-1 & draft years and then Michigan for his d+1 & d+2 instead of Oshawa. He's make way more money in the NCAA if those 6 digit figures are true and he'd be in a way better spot to develop for his d+2. By the time his d+3 comes around, he's probably ready for pro hockey anyway so it doesn't really matter if he could go OHL -> NCAA at that time.

Not expecting you to have all the answers here, just seems like a clear choice to me if I were a 16 year old hockey player with NHL ambitions.

Reactions: lionsDen

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
From what I understood of that, players would still be locked into the CHL through their U20 seasons. So I'm not sure that changes too much. Take Calum Ritchie.. let's say he played USHL for his d-1 & draft years and then Michigan for his d+1 & d+2 instead of Oshawa. He's make way more money in the NCAA if those 6 digit figures are true and he'd be in a way better spot to develop for his d+2. By the time his d+3 comes around, he's probably ready for pro hockey anyway so it doesn't really matter if he could go OHL -> NCAA at that time.

Not expecting you to have all the answers here, just seems like a clear choice to me if I were a 16 year old hockey player with NHL ambitions.
It is going to be in flux. Just making them eligible is the start.

IMO in 10 years we’ll have CHL through the draft and 2 years in NCAA as the typical path. If the CHL get super protective, we will see the USHL continue to gather strength and far surpass the CHL.

Reactions: 95snipes

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
It is going to be in flux. Just making them eligible is the start.

IMO in 10 years we’ll have CHL through the draft and 2 years in NCAA as the typical path. If the CHL get super protective, we will see the USHL continue to gather strength and far surpass the CHL.
The way I see it, the CHL would have to budge or else it's easy to see your last sentence happening. Especially with the recent success of guys like Makar, Fantill, Celebrini, etc.

It's an interesting discussion. It would pretty much change hockey everywhere down to youth hockey depending on how everything plays out.

Reactions: henchman21

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
What's the difference between a professional and amateur athlete? The Pro gets paid with a check.
I was looking for a bit more info. Like is NCAA complicit or not doing there job. How are NCAA athletes compensated? Is everybody putting their heads in the sand? Etc.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I was looking for a bit more info. Like is NCAA complicit or not doing there job. How are NCAA athletes compensated? Is everybody putting their heads in the sand? Etc.
NIL allows athletes to make money indirectly now. Really it is donors just paying kids. We’re only a step away from schools just paying the kids directly. Have to imagine that’ll happen in the next 10-15 years.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
NIL allows athletes to make money indirectly now. Really it is donors just paying kids. We’re only a step away from schools just paying the kids directly. Have to imagine that’ll happen in the next 10-15 years.
So it's more donations than earned income through endorsements like NIL would imply?

Are those donations managed through s university foundation?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So it's more donations than earned income through endorsements like NIL would imply?
They are ‘endorsements.’ Like make two appearances at a car dealership, get 200k and a car sort of thing. Right now it is kinda absurd in college football and basketball… like good, not great college qbs getting 500k to play for a year.

Has nothing to do with the universities, technically. Most schools have setup collectives to manage contributions to it and then pay out to players. By schools I mean they don’t actually do it, but the big donors set them up and work with the AD very closely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metallo

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
They are ‘endorsements.’ Like make two appearances at a car dealership, get 200k and a car sort of thing. Right now it is kinda absurd in college football and basketball… like good, not great college qbs getting 500k to play for a year.

Has nothing to do with the universities, technically. Most schools have setup collectives to manage contributions to it and then pay out to players. By schools I mean they don’t actually do it, but the big donors set them up and work with the AD very closely.
Sounds like funny business going on. Like the school funneling the money to a car dealership that is there in name only.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00