2023-2024 Coaching/Management/Ownership

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
The one intangible I would like to know is what drives the discrepancy in calls.

Not necessarily a number, but what is driving not getting a call when same or a lesser action warrants a penalty.

There is an under-current going on. Is it a lack of respect for the players, coach, or organization?

If it is the organization, there is not much that can be done. But the other two can be addressed.

John

HunterDuck

Jan 18, 2015
OC Vibe
Blame Fanatics, they asked teams for no major changes because they are a f***ing joke.

Still seems like a convenient excuse for the Samuelis.

I think they see the writing on the wall though based on the sources the Twitter guys have. My guess is the change will finally come in an offseason when the team finally contends again.

I’ll never stop complaining about this!

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
That's a very uneducated take by Dan Wood.

Cronin took over at rock bottom, draw a graph and you will notice that the way down and the way up average the same point totals, strictly mathematically and having nothing to do with the situation, apart from being as valid of an argument as, "hey 1 point difference". Except the way down requires no effort and the way up does.

Also, while Eakins was a problem it's not like he was the only problem and no one has ever claimed such a thing. It's not hard to figure Eakins and Verbeek probably had a very different view of young player development, a key factor for this organisation in it's current state. And the new key figures Cronin and McIlvane have spoken on the exact matter at length on various occasions.

His math checks out, so he's got that going for him, I guess.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Interesting tweets from Wood. Some of his tweets over the past year have had bitter undertones.

I also think he’s off base. Cronin may not be a great coach either but Eakins wasn’t the answer.

It’s funny because the parallel in his tweet can also be applied to the color spot in the radio booth. I don’t think Emerson Etem is particularly good, but Dan Wood was just generic and added next to nothing to the broadcast most nights.

I’d also like to know who he thinks the problem is (my assumption is that it’s Verbeek, but it could also be sour grapes with ownership as you alluded to)

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cronin had a better roster but they were not healthy. Even in the end they were still missing Minty, Mac, and Jones. I guess McGinn also but he’s hasn’t been much of a factor this year.

How many games did we even have all of Leo, Z, and Mac in the line up? Like 10 games?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Eakins was a terrible NHL coach. Cronin might also be, but there's no doubt Eakins was. Anyone defending him as a legitimately good NHL head coach is just being a contrarian.

Wood wasn't saying Eakins is a legitimately good NHL head coach. He's saying that Eakins wasn't the problem last year when compared to this year. The main culprit for Eakins production at the NHL level is that he's been given mostly a rebuild roster.

Only once did Eakins have a proper roster, but that fell into the odd year when the GM had to resign (Murray) in Nov, in the middle of an 8-game win streak, and didn't get a new GM until Feb, the all-star break. Verbeek said all the right things to get hired, but proceeded to blow the team up at the TDL and Eakins, once again, was given a rebuild roster.

Here's what Verbeek said after being hired by the Ducks, from Detroit News:

"This team doesn't need to be rebuilt; they're in the middle of their rebuild, so this is a great opportunity to take this team forward and turn them into a contender," Verbeek said during his introductory press conference. "You don't have to come in there and look to take a long time. There's good players in the NHL, good players in the minors and there are players that have been drafted. There's a lot coming to support the growth of this team. That's truly what I'm excited about."

When Verbeek was hired: Ducks in 3rd place in Pacific (23-16-9, 55 pts).
Trade Deadline: Ducks in 6th place in Pacific (27-25-10, 64 pts), but only 4 points out from 3rd place.

2021-22 season, TDL record.png

Between All-star break and the TDL, RD Manson was on IR and missed 12 consecutive games out of the 14 available before he was traded. Verbeek didn't do anything to help out the club that was then relying on three rookie D-men on the ice at the same time due to Manson's injury in Drysdale, Benoit, and Mahura.

Given an actual roster, Eakins showed he can get a team going in the correct direction. That 2021-22 team was still a work in progress and needed more talent depth. Also, the previous season, the Ducks finished 2nd overall.

Now, we can compare last year's team with this year's team and know that Eakins did more with far less. AINEC.

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
Cronin had a better roster but they were not healthy. Even in the end they were still missing Minty, Mac, and Jones. I guess McGinn also but he’s hasn’t been much of a factor this year.

How many games did we even have all of Leo, Z, and Mac in the line up? Like 10 games?
I think this is a big problem when evaluating Cronin. We don't really know what he can get out fully healthy roster. I think I see what he's going for, but I'm not sure they have a suitable roster for that. We'll see, but for now, this season was a wash for Cronin in my eyes.

Eakins did well with the young guys. Perfect time to let him go, and I don't think he was a good coach at all, but those teams he coached were truly garbage. Nobody could've make them like a competitive team.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

That's a feeble excuse to use injury factors when this year's team had a far superior roster, especially on defense. It isn't as though last year's team didn't have an exorbitant amount of injuries.

Injuries to a weaker roster is more damning than a better one. With the addition of Killorn (63 games, 36 pts) and Carlsson (55 games, 29 pts) into the fold, they can absorb the loss of Z and Mac this season with their total of 65 points production. Hell, Vatrano picked up the scoring and goal scoring this year.

On defense, with the addition of Gudas, a healthy Vaak, Minty, and LaCombe to start the season, the team was able to absorb the loss of Drysdale. Then the Ducks found Lindstrom on the waiver wire (+12 in 32 games) and called up Zellweger. Afterwards, we added Colangelo and Cutter to the forward group to end the season, who both helped improve our forward talent to earn a win in the last game of the season.

We had more than enough talent on defense to trade away Drysdale to acquire Cutter.

2022-23 Injury Viz
Injury Viz, 2022-23 (82 games).png

2023-24 Injury Viz, 80 games
Injury Viz, 2023-24 (80 games).png

Reactions: gunnergunther

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Can we take Eakins talk to former ducks subforum please

When did you become Verbeek to avoid evaluations and comparisons under his tenure? Can't wait for you to respond with, "Well, Lisa... "

This is a coaching, mgmt, and ownership subforum. Verbeek managed both coaches who finished within 1 point of one another to end the season. Seems pertinent to compare coaches in this subforum. No one's talking about Eakin's present occupation with Mannheim, which would fit into the requirement of former ducks.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
When did you become Verbeek to avoid evaluations and comparisons under his tenure? Can't wait for you to respond with, "Well, Lisa... "

This is a coaching, mgmt, and ownership subforum. Verbeek managed both coaches who finished within 1 point of one another to end the season. Seems pertinent to compare coaches in this subforum. No one's talking about Eakin's present occupation with Mannheim, which would fit into the requirement of former ducks.
I dont recall eakins being mgmt ownership or coach last season do you?

Also well lisa

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
That's a feeble excuse to use injury factors when this year's team had a far superior roster, especially on defense. It isn't as though last year's team didn't have an exorbitant amount of injuries.

Injuries to a weaker roster is more damning than a better one. With the addition of Killorn (63 games, 36 pts) and Carlsson (55 games, 29 pts) into the fold, they can absorb the loss of Z and Mac this season with their total of 65 points production. Hell, Vatrano picked up the scoring and goal scoring this year.

On defense, with the addition of Gudas, a healthy Vaak, Minty, and LaCombe to start the season, the team was able to absorb the loss of Drysdale. Then the Ducks found Lindstrom on the waiver wire (+12 in 32 games) and called up Zellweger. Afterwards, we added Colangelo and Cutter to the forward group to end the season, who both helped improve our forward talent to earn a win in the last game of the season.

We had more than enough talent on defense to trade away Drysdale to acquire Cutter.

2022-23 Injury Viz
View attachment 855287

2023-24 Injury Viz, 80 games
View attachment 855289
We had a better roster on defense, and did better defensively. We did not have the same injury situation last season as this season. Of our top 6 only Vatrano played a full season. Terry was at 76 and the rest under 65. Cronin may have a boring system, but with 4 of our top 6 playing another 10-15 games each we could have easily won more games, especially those 1 goal games. Cronin was provided a better roster to start the season yes, but he never was able to utilize it. I’ll buy the argument that could be self inflicted though, due to the nature of his practices wearing his players down, as well as his man to man causing extra wear and tear also during the games.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think this is a big problem when evaluating Cronin. We don't really know what he can get out fully healthy roster. I think I see what he's going for, but I'm not sure they have a suitable roster for that. We'll see, but for now, this season was a wash for Cronin in my eyes.

Eakins did well with the young guys. Perfect time to let him go, and I don't think he was a good coach at all, but those teams he coached were truly garbage. Nobody could've make them like a competitive team.

Full stop on the injury department b/c many teams go through several injuries. Last year's team dealt with several injuries. The system in place can be critiqued.

Ducks82 games
SeasonES GFES GAESGDPP GFPK GAShorties.GFGAGD
2022-23
172​
260​
-88​
36​
78​
1​
209​
338​
-129​
2023-24
151​
204​
-53​
42​
91​
11​
204​
295​
-91​
24 comp
-21​
56​
36​
6​
-13​
10​
-5​
-43​
38​

We have had a rash of injures to our blueline and traded away Drysdale, but the ES defense was a great improvement. Our 5v5 GF this year finished 22nd, in the middle third of the league, according to Natural Stat Trick. Last year, our 5v5 GF was the 2nd worst in the league. Our ES defense did this with at least two rookie d-men on the ice to three rookie d-men at times throughout the season.

The PP and PK are not Cronin's responsibilities. For the PP, we know about asst coach Brown and he's got to go b/c he's too inconsistent. For the PK, the performance deteriorated as the season went, but they have a penchant for shorties!

The two components that Cronin gets a negative grade for are his ES offense and team discipline.

Team Discipline ===
Anaheim finished with the most TSH events with 327 TSH events (or PP Opp Against if you're using Hockey-Reference). The lowest TSH event is 212 and the median is 243.

Last year's club had 280 TSH events, fifth most in the league. This year's club added 47 more TSH events! And since we don't have a great PK, then we're constantly shooting ourselves in the foot.

There could be many factors why the team isn't disciplined from bad coaching, lack of accountability, overworked players, players playing through injuries, etc...

ES GF/ES Offense ===
I don't like it b/c oft times we see two forwards flying out of the zone for a long stretch pass once we've regained the control of the puck. The problem with that is if the other team clogs up the passing lanes and leaves the puck handler (often a defenseman) with no great passing options. We have some defensemen accustomed to passing the puck out of the zone and some skating the puck out of the zone. Those who skate the puck out, like Fowler and Zellweger, fare far better, but it also gives no respite to the defensemen as well as potentially leaving them on the ice for a longer shift that could have an adverse result if our D-men are out of energy.

Also, we're doing dump and chase with all of our lines. The lines that do well with this are the fourth line and Mac's line when he's healthy. The addition of Cutter, and maybe Colangelo, can help improve some lines as they've got speed and big bodies.

I think Cronin needs more flexibility to his offense b/c he's reducing the effectiveness of our finesse guys.

==============================

I expected this year's team to be better than last year's team, but overall it hasn't. We sleep walk through several periods, through several games this year. Both teams, last year and this year, had mediocre PP and PK units, that we can focus on ES stuff between Cronin and Eakins. I don't think Cronin could produce with last year's club like Eakins. Last year's team didn't have a proper defense like this year's team did and Cronin probably can't coach up that shit defensive roster. So no ES offense and no ES defense for Cronin with last year's club would equate to a far more dismal season.

Note, I never expected Eakins to be kept on as head coach last year. Since he did, then he's a data point for comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad