2023-2024 Coaching/Management/Ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The Eakins v. Cronin debate is pointless. Eakins had 4 years and couldn’t get it done. Ducks were historically bad defensively in his final season. The jury is still out on Cronin. My position is that he should get one more year with new assistants. Agenda driven debate is boring, the past is in the rear view mirror. Game 82 gave me some hope.

Talk about agenda driven, this post is agenda driven.
  • GF and GA
    • Last year
      • GF = 209
      • GA = 338
      • GD = -129
    • This year
      • GF = 204
      • GA = 295
      • GA = -91
Comparable offenses, but significantly better defense with Cronin's club. Last year's defense was atrocious, but that's all on the GM.

Record
Last year = 23-47-12 (58 pts)
This year = 27-50-5 (59 pts)

Shit all you want on Eakins, but we found someone worse in Cronin. Cronin vastly improved the defense, but has a minuscule improvement on the record.

Nowhere in my post did I ever say to get rid of Cronin. I hate when people insert shit that was never brought up. Of course, if you've been reading the Ducks forum, then you'd apparently know that I've posted often I don't see Cronin going anywhere next season. But hey, you like glossing over shit to push an agenda b/c fact often get in your way.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We did lose 120 games from top 6 players this year. So every game this year we where short on average 1-2 top 6 forwards.

We add two top-6 forwards this year that were not on the team last year. Which means we had eight top-6 forwards this season.

Ducks2022-23
PlayerForwardGPGAPts
Zegras
1​
81​
23​
42​
65​
Terry
1​
70​
23​
38​
61​
Mac
1​
80​
17​
26​
43​
Vatrano
1​
81​
22​
19​
41​
Strome
1​
82​
15​
26​
41​
Rico
1​
62​
22​
16​
38​
Totals
6​
456​
122​
167​
289​

2023-24
PlayerForwardGPGAPts
Vatrano
1​
82​
37​
23​
60​
Terry
1​
76​
20​
34​
54​
Mac
1​
64​
19​
23​
42​
Rico
1​
60​
18​
24​
42​
Strome
1​
79​
11​
30​
41​
Killorn
1​
63​
18​
18​
36​
Carlsson
1​
55​
12​
17​
29​
Zegras
1​
31​
6​
9​
15​
Totals
8​
510​
141​
178​
319​

This year's top-6 talents added +2 top-6 players (Killorn and Carlsson), +54 games played, +19 goals, +11 assists, and +30 points.

I don't comprehend this fall back on missing out on top-6 when the production was better with this year's top-6 talent group?

Reactions: gunnergunther

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Talk about agenda driven, this post is agenda driven.
  • GF and GA
    • Last year
      • GF = 209
      • GA = 338
      • GD = -129
    • This year
      • GF = 204
      • GA = 295
      • GA = -91
Comparable offenses, but significantly better defense with Cronin's club. Last year's defense was atrocious, but that's all on the GM.

Record
Last year = 23-47-12 (58 pts)
This year = 27-50-5 (59 pts)

Shit all you want on Eakins, but we found someone worse in Cronin. Cronin vastly improved the defense, but has a minuscule improvement on the record.

Nowhere in my post did I ever say to get rid of Cronin. I hate when people insert shit that was never brought up. Of course, if you've been reading the Ducks forum, then you'd apparently know that I've posted often I don't see Cronin going anywhere next season. But hey, you like glossing over shit to push an agenda b/c fact often get in your way.
When the same argument, defending the same people, is made over and over for years, that is agenda driven. Also boring.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

Trevor Zegras finished with eight points in the last 10 games. This is probably the most fascinating summer decision in the NHL. The Ducks challenged him to show them something when he returned from injury and Zegras did. My rule: always bet on talent. But, there’s a nagging sense not everyone’s comfortable with each other here. GM Pat Verbeek is very guarded so it is hard to properly predict what will occur. Anaheim’s got so many good young players who gained great experience. There were high moments, low moments, and a lot of injuries. They all learned something about how hard it is to win and how much it takes.

Head coach Greg Cronin is a grinder, and he rode them hard. Does he take his foot off the pedal at all next year? Verbeek sold ownership on the fact there are no shortcuts, that this takes time. There are, however, a lot of excellent pieces. John Gibson’s future remains on the frontburner, too./

The blurb is from 32 thoughts, I don't know why the link is redirecting to that video.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The Drysdale trade was a hockey trade created by a unique opportunity to trade from a position of strength to fill a position of weakness. I’m going to have a hard time accepting a Z trade as similar unless somebody like Draisaitl is coming back.

Don’t screw up Pat.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
The Eakins v. Cronin debate is pointless. Eakins had 4 years and couldn’t get it done. Ducks were historically bad defensively in his final season. The jury is still out on Cronin. My position is that he should get one more year with new assistants. Agenda driven debate is boring, the past is in the rear view mirror. Game 82 gave me some hope.
It is also extremely embarrassing if anyone from another fan base reads this.

The SC playoffs are starting and the Ducks’ board is arguing if the coach of the worst team in the NHL is better or worse than the coach of the third worst team in the NHL.

It can’t get much more pathetic.

John

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Many of those comparing Cronin this year vs Eakins last year are missing the point (including Dan Wood). We saw 4 years of Eakins (not to mention his time in Edm). It wasn't just last year. We know he's a terrible coach with a terrible system.

Cronin might be bad also - the jury is out on that one. But there is ample evidence about Eakins - he is what he is.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It would be glorious

I think we would be idiots to trade Zegras though.

Since Zegras came back, we look more competitive and more entertaining, and won some games.

It’s not Zegras fault the coaching staff is clueless and we lack depth. If they trade Zegras, will set then back even more than when Drysdale was traded.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I still don't understand the rationale for trading him right now. What's the issue supposed to be? It can't be that he's poor defensively, because we don't have any top 6 guys who are actually good defensively. Same for being a net-front presence. He's the only forward who can reliably enter the zone with the puck, keep possession, and make a play. And it's not like he's being crowded out by other established NHLers, because there's only one of those in the top 6 right now (and he's very streaky).

In the end, Friedman implies but doesn't say that Cronin's being a "grinder" and riding them hard might be the issue, so this is just another re-packaged Zegras Has An Attitude piece, and there's zero evidence for that.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
maybe it’s just me, but I feel like Cronin came in with an attitude towards Z. We basically knew exactly how he felt about his game before he even coached a single day of camp. Wouldn’t be surprised if all his commentary last summer rubbed some people the wrong way. I’m with the player on this one for sure.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I still don't understand the rationale for trading him right now. What's the issue supposed to be? It can't be that he's poor defensively, because we don't have any top 6 guys who are actually good defensively. Same for being a net-front presence. He's the only forward who can reliably enter the zone with the puck, keep possession, and make a play. And it's not like he's being crowded out by other established NHLers, because there's only one of those in the top 6 right now (and he's very streaky).

In the end, Friedman implies but doesn't say that Cronin's being a "grinder" and riding them hard might be the issue, so this is just another re-packaged Zegras Has An Attitude piece, and there's zero evidence for that.
I didn't take it like that, but rather as an implication that there might be some bad blood lingering from the contract negotiations between Z and Verbeek. We've all read the reports that say that apparently Z and Cronin are tight and communicate a lot, but I don't think we've ever read anything similar about Zegras and Verbeek. Maybe Beeker understands his qualities as a player, but doesn't get along with the person? Or vice versa.

Friedman has kept repeating this all year long, so there could be more to it. It's giving me chills.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I didn't take it like that, but rather as an implication that there might be some bad blood lingering from the contract negotiations between Z and Verbeek. We've all read the reports that say that apparently Z and Cronin are tight and communicate a lot, but I don't think we've ever read anything similar about Zegras and Verbeek. Maybe Beeker understands his qualities as a player, but doesn't get along with the person? Or vice versa.

Friedman has kept repeating this all year long, so there could be more to it. It's giving me chills.

Maybe. It's possible that our little ball of hate does have authority issues. We did witness it at last year's post-season interview between Verbeek and reporter Lisa Dillman. Z and Drysdale held out out camp to get their contracts done. Drysdale is no longer here.

8205d0bb-7b7e-4c0c-ae43-32161bddd35a_text.gif

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Maybe. It's possible that our little ball of hate does have authority issues. We did witness it at last year's post-season interview between Verbeek and reporter Lisa Dillman. Z and Drysdale held out out camp to get their contracts done. Drysdale is no longer here.

8205d0bb-7b7e-4c0c-ae43-32161bddd35a_text.gif
I agree, could be Verbeek too. Both of them seem like hotheads

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Many of those comparing Cronin this year vs Eakins last year are missing the point (including Dan Wood). We saw 4 years of Eakins (not to mention his time in Edm). It wasn't just last year. We know he's a terrible coach with a terrible system.

Cronin might be bad also - the jury is out on that one. But there is ample evidence about Eakins - he is what he is.

Maybe you missed the point that Dan Wood said Eakins was given a rebuild roster for most of his tenure?

Maybe you also forgot the 2021-22 season. After finished with 2nd worst record in 2020-21, Verbeek took over at all-star break and the Ducks were 3rd in the Pacific. At the 2021-22 TDL, although the Ducks were 6th in the Pacific, they were only 4 points out of 3rd in the Pacific - and that's with Manson missing 12 consecutive games on IR under Verbeek's watch. Verbeek blew up the team at the TDL. From the Athletic:

“It’s not fair … me coming in two, three months and then going with a new guy,” Verbeek said. “And in the sense that I just blew up the team (at the trade deadline). So I wanted to give him a chance. And it gave us an opportunity to get to know one another over the course of the offseason.

Last year happened with a shit roster because it was reset rebuild year 1. With a far better roster this year under Cronin resulting in a +38 goal differential improvement, all Cronin could manage was 1 extra point? We can undoubtably state that Cronin was worst than Eakins when comparing these two seasons. Yet, Cronin will be staying an extra year and getting even more talent on the roster for next season. Lucky Cronin.

Can you actually say that Cronin would have produced better than Eakins with last year's roster? That's the point Wood was making and that's the point you cannot accept.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
The question is not whether Eakins or Cronin are a worse coach. In my opinion they both are bad. I would fire Cronin after this season but that is not going to happen. Verbeek will give him at least one more year, and possibly two more years. He was Verbeek's hire, and Verbeek is not going to want to admit that he made a mistake until more than enough time has passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad