2023-2024 Coaching/Management/Ownership

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
New thread.

Lisa Dillman reporting that Brent Thompson is joining the coaching staff in Anaheim. Thompson was the head coach of Bridgeport Islanders last season and is the father of Tage Thompson.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
The replies on Bridgeport’s post about his departure are all relieved Islander fans. They haven’t had many good prospects (especially forwards) come up through the system in awhile, though that is at least partially due to poor drafting and trading a lot of picks.

Reactions: Kalv and Static

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
The replies on Bridgeport’s post about his departure are all relieved Islander fans. They haven’t had many good prospects (especially forwards) come up through the system in awhile, though that is at least partially due to poor drafting and trading a lot of picks.
Pretty big difference between being an AHL head coach and an NHL assistant coach, though. He might only be good at one thing.

Or he'll become the new whipping boy!

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Pretty big difference between being an AHL head coach and an NHL assistant coach, though. He might only be good at one thing.

Or he'll become the new whipping boy!
Totally see that happening. Especially if Verbeek can't shore up the defense with some PKers. Gudas isn't enough.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Is that Newell Brown’s role?

Last year's role:
Brown: PP​
Johnson: dev​
Stothers: PK and defense​

This year
Thompson: PK and def​
Special asst: Stothers (I think he's still battling cancer)​
Asst goalie coach: Rook (Suds is currently battling cancer)​

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Last year's role:
Stothers: PK and defense​

This year
Thompson: PK and def​
Special asst: Stothers (I think he's still battling cancer)​
Asst goalie coach: Rook (Suds is currently battling cancer)​

Need a new PP coach.

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Isles/Bridgeport fans are exstatic of him leaving. That doesn't make me too optimistic about the Thompson hire but hey, it's someone Cronin payed with

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Oh I agree, which is why retaining Brown was a head scratcher.

Yeah when we had Geoff Ward we saw immediate improvement. So it’s a head scratcher which both special teams being an issue last season.

We have enough skill to have around a 20% PP about 12-15th in the league, imo. The execution was just so bad.

Reactions: Yemeth and Hey234

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yeah when we had Geoff Ward we saw immediate improvement. So it’s a head scratcher which both special teams being an issue last season.

We have enough skill to have around a 20% PP about 12-15th in the league, imo. The execution was just so bad.

Last year's PP unit had talent on it, which included adding Klingberg, McTavish, Strome, and Vatrano. Ward could have made that PP unit top-10 again.

The PK did not replace Lindholm and Manson, which makes it easy to predict we were going to be terribad on the PK. When your best defensive guys are Shattenkirk and Kulikov, then Stothers was given a FUBAR situation.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Isles/Bridgeport fans are exstatic of him leaving. That doesn't make me too optimistic about the Thompson hire but hey, it's someone Cronin payed with
After calming down, it is worth to mention that Devon Toews, Pulock, Pelech and Mayfield have come through Bridgeport apparently. Isles fans seem to be disappointed in the AHL results and forward development but as a defensive coach, that will not be his responsibilities here. Got me excited a bit.

Also, waiting on Tage to announce he demands a trade to Anaheim :laugh:

PS
Technically there's a forward he has developed to be an elite player: Tage.

• Haha
Reactions: Yemeth

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Did I miss a statement release where they were keeping Brown and Stothers? The last thing I remember seeing about any of the old coaching staff is that they would be invited to be part of the process but nothing about them being retained.

As for Thompson, I wouldnt freak out about Isles fans being happy hes gone. Different role, different responsibilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad