2023-2024 Coaching/Management/Ownership

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yeah I am willing to give him another season. With different assistants, and a better roster. That will be his true test. I’m just frustrated because I know our kids could be doing better, and put a lot of fault on the system and coaching.

I don't mind Cronin for another season since it should be another development season. I do mind Brown (PP) and Thompson (PK) returning.

Ducks 2023-24
Game SetGamesPPGPPOPP Eff.PK GATSHPK Eff
Total774022517.8%8531372.8%
1 to 2525188122.2%2211080.0%
26 to 4924107114.1%229175.8%
50 to 621383522.9%164766.0%
63 to 771543810.5%256561.5%

With my excel splits, I get a chance to separate PP, PK, and ES productions throughout the season. New PP and PK productions will help. At ES, I don't believe Cronin's offensive scheme is an effective scheme. Through the season, I've noticed our ES goal scoring was always behind Eakins' ES goal scoring from last year.

Ducks2023-2477 games
SeasonES GFES GAESGDPP GFPK GAShorties.GFGA
2022-23
155​
242​
-87​
34​
69​
1​
190​
311​
2023-24
148​
193​
-45​
40​
85​
11​
199​
278​
24 comp
-7​
+49​
+36​
+6​
-16​
+10​
+9​
-33​

Our overall goal scoring to start the season was better only because our PP had a huge spike from 6.9% to like 25%! When our PP hit 25% efficiency, I said I didn't believe that would be sustainable b/c I tracked Brown all last year. The season is almost done and we all can say that spike in the PP was a fluke. In fact, we've had another fluke episode later in the year too.

The thing about better roster is that Cronin was gifted with a far better roster than last year's club. If we sustained an injury at forward or defense, then we actually had talent available. We added Carlsson and Killorn to the forward mix. On defense, we revamped our whole defense with Fowler as our only returnee. We have more than enough talent to trade RD Drysdale! Anaheim is a +49 in ES GA as proof our defensive personnel improved. Yet we currently have less points than last year's club. We have 54 points today and last year's club had 56 points after 77 games.

While we are going to get LW Cutter for next season, Verbeek is emphasizing improving our scoring in the bottom-6. I'm lost with this b/c we don't say, "We need our non-superstar players to carry our superstar players." No. We say, "Our superstar players need to carry the team."

Our two best offensive producers for the past two seasons are Terry and Z. They have scored over 60 points for the past two seasons. This year under Cronin, both have struggled mightily. That's what scares me. Cronin might be stifling the offense away from our finesse guys. Even Carlsson is underperforming in offensive production. If it were not for McTavish, our offense would be much worse b/c both Vatrano and Strome's offenses would be missing this year.

Things to judge Cronin on next year are ES offense, team discipline, youth offensive growth, and high compete level consistency. Can Cronin evolve? I dunno.

One coach I'd keep my tabs on that is good at developing youths and has been an NHL head coach before is Kevin Dineen. He's coaching the Devils AHL club in Utica.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Yeah, because the team has looked so great with him. You people that defend can’t be taken seriously lmao
If it was as black and white as this half the league would make a coaching change every year. And I certainly wouldn’t say I’m “defending” Cronin, I’ve actually not said very much at all about my actual opinion of the guy, I just maintain the stance going back to last season under Eakins that the roster is in no place for the coaching to really matter or get anything one way or the other out of this group, so changing coaches is a pointless venture. It makes sense that Eakins wasn’t brought back as he was due a new contact and if PV ends up unhappy with Cronin he will in all likelihood not be given a second one either.

At some point, as is typically the case with a rebuilding GM’s first head coaching hire, PV will expect something out of this group and at that point Cronin’s seat will be hot if we don’t perform. But we aren’t there yet

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'm kinda wondering...if the Yotes can be sold for either $1B or $1.3B (take your pick) does that mean all us small market teams are now worth north of $1B? What was the last guestimate of all 32 teams? Weren't there only a handful valued over $1B? And the Yotes sure weren't one of them.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'm kinda wondering...if the Yotes can be sold for either $1B or $1.3B (take your pick) does that mean all us small market teams are now worth north of $1B? What was the last guestimate of all 32 teams? Weren't there only a handful valued over $1B? And the Yotes sure weren't one of them.
The one thing I wonder about that is if the guy buying it is taking a gamble that moving the team will increase value and make money long term. He might be over paying in terms of the value of the franchise just to get a team out to Utah, also could be like the fees expansion teams paid but a "moving" fee instead.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The one thing I wonder about that is if the guy buying it is taking a gamble that moving the team will increase value and make money long term. He might be over paying in terms of the value of the franchise just to get a team out to Utah, also could be like the fees expansion teams paid but a "moving" fee instead.
Has anybody ever bought a major sports franchise, moved it, and lost money? I don't think so. Not much gamble there.

Reactions: lwvs84

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The Coyotes comes to mind.
Over the years it has changed ownership in AZ. I'm betting the original move to AZ was profitable up to the point that ownership group got out. Of course, nobody has offered to let us audit the books so I guess it will have to be speculation on my part.

I'll just say if they offer me a chance to buy in to the SLC ownership group I'll be hawking all my toys to raise the funds. :D

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Couldn't find the most recent jersey thread, but according to Icethetics, it seems like we are keeping the same home/away uniforms for next season.

• Wow
Reactions: Kalv
Oct 18, 2011
So if Anaheim sign Gauthier and burn a year of his ELC, that puts Carlsson, Minty, Gauthier, and Zegras all up for new deals at the same time.

I've had people here justify the horrible Killorn and Strome contracts to me because Anaheim will have all this future cap space, are you sure that 11 million dollars won't be important now?

Also this indirectly affects Vatrano, he's going to want to get his big contract.

Something has to give here, Strome and Killorn have underperformed their contracts and haven't helped this team get any better, so far Verbeek has had a very mid tenure as GM, where is the improvement going to come from? There is no way we can have another year of shit like this

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
So if Anaheim sign Gauthier and burn a year of his ELC, that puts Carlsson, Minty, Gauthier, and Zegras all up for new deals at the same time.

Their ELC's do not end at the same time, as per CapFriendly.

Z's 3-year extension started this year. RFA w/ arb in 2026 summer.
Carlsson, Minty, and Zell's 3-year ELC started this year. RFA in 2026 summer.

Colangelo and Cutter's 2-year ELC will start this year. 10.2(c) RFA in 2025 summer.

Nestrenko and LaCombe are RFA's this summer.

Reactions: Kalv and Ducks DVM

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

I've had people here justify the horrible Killorn and Strome contracts to me because Anaheim will have all this future cap space, are you sure that 11 million dollars won't be important now?

Also this indirectly affects Vatrano, he's going to want to get his big contract.

Something has to give here, Strome and Killorn have underperformed their contracts and haven't helped this team get any better, so far Verbeek has had a very mid tenure as GM, where is the improvement going to come from? There is no way we can have another year of shit like this
1. The contracts can be easily moved on from if space is needed so either way it’s really a non-issue. If one of them has to have their last year bought out or traded with 50% retention then so be it.

2. It’s a bit funny to say that you’re worried about the cap implications of signing our future young core, and then later say “where is the improvement going to come from?” It seems like you already know the answer.

Reactions: Kalv

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Their ELC's do not end at the same time, as per CapFriendly.

Z's 3-year extension started this year. RFA w/ arb in 2026 summer.
Carlsson, Minty, and Zell's 3-year ELC started this year. RFA in 2026 summer.

Colangelo and Cutter's 2-year ELC will start this year. 10.2(c) RFA in 2025 summer.

Nestrenko and LaCombe are RFA's this summer.
Cutter’s ELC wont be 2 years, as his signing age will be 20 which puts him at 3

Oct 18, 2011
1. The contracts can be easily moved on from if space is needed so either way it’s really a non-issue. If one of them has to have their last year bought out or traded with 50% retention then so be it.

2. It’s a bit funny to say that you’re worried about the cap implications of signing our future young core, and then later say “where is the improvement going to come from?” It seems like you already know the answer.
1. You shouldn't assume those cap numbers will be easy to move, and also what has it accomplished so far

2. I am speaking of next year, this team is awful how are they going to get better?

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
1. You shouldn't assume those cap numbers will be easy to move, and also what has it accomplished so far

2. I am speaking of next year, this team is awful how are they going to get better?
1. Neither Strome nor Killorn have underperformed their contracts. I guess you could argue Killorn has because of injury, but on a per game basis, both are producing like middle 6 forwards, which is what they're paid to be. As for moving the contracts in their final year, that's never a problem unless the contract is massive. These aren't.

2. The answer is the same: regardless of what Verbeek does, the team will be better because the kids will improve.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Couldn't find the most recent jersey thread, but according to Icethetics, it seems like we are keeping the same home/away uniforms for next season.

Dumb…. New young potentially exciting core…. Make the plum and jade 3rd jersey this year our main kit, do a white version and do a jade version for our 3rd jersey.

They would making a killing with all the exciting young players.

I have not been interested in buying a ducks jersey since the 3rd one this year…. But I’ll never buy the black/orange kit

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Dont know how to post it since im on my phone, but looks like the Ducks were fined 50,000 for some illegal off season training last summer. Was on 32 thoughts around 46 minutes in. And guess some players felt forced when asked by Verbeek to participate in the training.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Dont know how to post it since im on my phone, but looks like the Ducks were fined 50,000 for some illegal off season training last summer. Was on 32 thoughts around 46 minutes in. And guess some players felt forced when asked by Verbeek to participate in the training.
Blows my mind how hard it is for some to not break the rules.

It’s a clear rule, just shows how inept this GM can be

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
Dumb…. New young potentially exciting core…. Make the plum and jade 3rd jersey this year our main kit, do a white version and do a jade version for our 3rd jersey.

They would making a killing with all the exciting young players.

I have not been interested in buying a ducks jersey since the 3rd one this year…. But I’ll never buy the black/orange kit
Blame Fanatics, they asked teams for no major changes because they are a f***ing joke.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad