2022 University Cup

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Anyone remember when the last time there were co-hosts?
Guelph, Laurier, and Waterloo co-hosted the infamous Kitchener nationals, which were wildly underattended - three hosts in a 30-minute radius, and yet they used a rink that was nearly impossible for any of the students to get to.

Reactions: Rob

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
Brock is my darkhorse OUA pick for the next Nationals bid.

They are building up a strong Athletics program, their hockey program has been consistently competitive with strong recruiting, they have a hotel right next to campus that can hold all the teams, and they could host games at multiple venues (QFs at Seymour-Hannah Centre, Semis and Finals at Meridian Centre).

Reactions: FreddyFoyle and Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Guelph, Laurier, and Waterloo co-hosted the infamous Kitchener nationals, which were wildly underattended - three hosts in a 30-minute radius, and yet they used a rink that was nearly impossible for any of the students to get to.

Co-hosting would certainly offset the costs. Not sure U-Sports would want to go down that route again

Reactions: Drummer

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Brock is my darkhorse OUA pick for the next Nationals bid.

They are building up a strong Athletics program, their hockey program has been consistently competitive with strong recruiting, they have a hotel right next to campus that can hold all the teams, and they could host games at multiple venues (QFs at Seymour-Hannah Centre, Semis and Finals at Meridian Centre).
I believe I heard one of the commentators say they are getting a new rink.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

I was there both years. Volunteers were great, good rink, no fans. CIS hockey will never sell in southern Ontario where there are several Major Junior teams. I said in an earlier post that there are a handful of places that will support this tournament. 3 of them are in the Maritimes and 2 out west. It remains to be seen how PEI will do next year.

Reactions: timbitca

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Would love to see them host. Their home rink is a little on the small side with just 2800 seats.

Acadia did fine with 1800 plus 300 SRO. The only "sold out" game was Thursday night. It would be the same at RYE. I don't know how well OUA fans travel. I'm willing to guess they don't, unlike in the AUS.

Reactions: Rob

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Re hosting:
You never know who has sponsors. Look at Lethbridge.

Re players:
The upcoming season could be a watershed. With loads of pro contracts being doled out, many players might not find being a poor student until 24 or 25 to be very appealing.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Re hosting:

Re players:
The upcoming season could be a watershed. With loads of pro contracts being doled out, many players might not find being a poor student until 24 or 25 to be very appealing.

You must be talking about a conference other than the AUS. Most guys here are pretty serious about education and end up with "decent" jobs I can speak personally about SMU, but I think it's fairly consistent across the AUS.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Re hosting:

Re players:
Someone should counsel these players that their East Coast or lower-level Euro contracts will still be there in four years when they graduate. I get the appeal to play pro, but if I'm an undrafted overager coming out of major junior, I'm not giving up my scholarship money for anything less than an NHL-AHL two-way.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
SMU, with 4 straight losses to Tom Watt and the Varsity Blues back in the early 70's.
AUS, did you see any of these?
1970 3-2
1971 5-4
1972 5-0
1973 3-2
No, I didn't really get involved with University hockey until the late 80's when I hooked up with DAL as their stats guy.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
From the rumor mill, SFX men's team tested positive for Covid on their return from the Nationals.

I haven't been able to verify this, so it is a rumor atm.

On a more personal note, a friend of mine who was at the games tested positive on Wed. Was just talking to him and he has "minor" cold symptoms.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
You must be talking about a conference other than the AUS. Most guys here are pretty serious about education and end up with "decent" jobs I can speak personally about SMU, but I think it's fairly consistent across the AUS.
I don't doubt that. Bison grads have good jobs, too. Jameson is going to be an actuary. But he's still playing in the ECHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad