Speculation: 2022 Trade Deadline Targets

Biggest need at the TDL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
2019 Lightning (the sweep year) was a team that was trying to regular season their way to the cup. The results weren't random.
Pure hindsight.

The *St Louis Blues* won the cup that year. Tampa was and is significantly better than the Blue Jackets, but got swept. The terrible, terrible Canadians won their conference last year (and certainly could have won the Cup). The mediocre Stars won the West the year before.

Hockey's postseason is easily the least predicable, highest variance of all the major sports. A tourney of best of sevens is a terrible approach if you're trying to identify the "best" team in hockey -- but it's fun as hell because it's so random.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Pure hindsight.

The *St Louis Blues* won the cup that year. Tampa was and is significantly better than the Blue Jackets, but got swept. The terrible, terrible Canadians won their conference last year (and certainly could have won the Cup). The mediocre Stars won the West the year before.

Hockey's postseason is easily the least predicable, highest variance of all the major sports. A tourney of best of sevens is a terrible approach if you're trying to identify the "best" team in hockey -- but it's fun as hell because it's so random.
The outcomes are controllable. TB around that time had become averse to dump-ins. The Crunch played the Jackets AHL team in the first round as well and only got one win. There were bigger issues when teams forced the Lightning to play in ways they didn't like. In the regular season, you're on to your next game, it wasn't your night or something, but in the playoffs, you prepare exclusively for your opponent.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Little bit of a steep price to pay but i feel like we could get away with this somehow but hes definitely not a rental type of Dman

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Lefty why bother.
Elevate Sergachev as Hedman's partner full time, roll a left side of Hedman-McDonagh-Lindholm with a right of Sergachev-Cernak-Rutta. Honestly that's straight filthy.

A lot for a rental, and I don't think we necessarily have the pieces to make it work, but damn now I'm tempted.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Deal this year if there's a Coleman/Goodrow situation we can't ignore (prefer someone with an extra year, I think), then:
  • If we win it all: plug the holes again with whatever vets and low risk bottom-6ers we can convince to take very little money
  • If we lose: identify problem spots in the roster and evaluate whether we can retool to have a better outlook in a few years while staying somewhat competitive next year
Just IMHO.

The former case is more interesting for obvious reasons, but the latter case has its own interesting possibilities.
I love JBB :DD

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
What do you mean? I’m not sold yet either but thought his last game was pretty decent.

Don’t trust him in the playoffs either but he’s not awful for a 7th D.
What do you mean? I’m not sold yet either but thought his last game was pretty decent.

Don’t trust him in the playoffs either but he’s not awful for a 7th D.
A career 7, 6th at best. I consider that "done" for mid first round pick

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Toronto has to do something because if they bow out of the first round again, someone's getting fired and players will be moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad