Speculation: 2022 Trade Deadline Targets

Biggest need at the TDL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Florida needed a defensive minded guy, but I don’t remember Chiarot being that good against us in the cup finals.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Florida needed a defensive minded guy, but I don’t remember Chiarot being that good against us in the cup finals.

Yeah. We'll see what happens with Giroux, but if I was thinking a Lightning/Panthers playoff series is a 50/50 toss up on who wins, then Ben Chiarot is not going to be one who moves the needle.

I mean not really. We just won B2B cups. Every pick traded was worth it.

Also, this is just a case of being f*cked by the salary cap. Look at our payroll and tell me who the worst contract is, or perhaps the most disproportionate contract salary vis-a-vis performance. I honestly don't think we have a single bad contract on the books. We got rid of the last of those when we got Chicago to take Tyler Johnson off our hands. When you have no bad contracts and yet no cap space to work with anyway, that just feels like bad luck as much as it does anything else.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Yeah. We'll see what happens with Giroux, but if I was thinking a Lightning/Panthers playoff series is a 50/50 toss up on who wins, then Ben Chiarot is not going to be one who moves the needle.

Also, this is just a case of being f*cked by the salary cap. Look at our payroll and tell me who the worst contract is, or perhaps the most disproportionate contract salary vis-a-vis performance. I honestly don't think we have a single bad contract on the books. We got rid of the last of those when we got Chicago to take Tyler Johnson off our hands. When you have no bad contracts and yet no cap space to work with anyway, that just feels like bad luck as much as it does anything else.
If it's truly a 50/50, then the deciding factor, almost by definition, is anything that tips the scales in one team's favor over the other teams. Chariot is no world beater but he adds depth where FL was lacking it most. And he's been to a SC Finals. As much as you want to discount it, it's a win for FL. We just have to hope it's not really a 50/50. TB's experience and frankly, hopefully, lack of regular season motivation relative to FL's may mean that it's really a 60/40, 55/45 thing in the Bolt's favor once the playoffs roll around.

Reactions: Felonious Python

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
If it's truly a 50/50, then the deciding factor, almost by definition, is anything that tips the scales in one team's favor over the other teams. Chariot is no world beater but he adds depth where FL was lacking it most. And he's been to a SC Finals. As much as you want to discount it, it's a win for FL. We just have to hope it's not really a 50/50. TB's experience and frankly, hopefully, lack of regular season motivation relative to FL's may mean that it's really a 60/40, 55/45 thing in the Bolt's favor once the playoffs roll around.
He could end up being a negative that tips it more in our favor, though. We certainly had no problems exposing him in the final.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
He could end up being a negative that tips it more in our favor, though. We certainly had no problems exposing him in the final.
He could, but you can say that about pretty much any player once the playoffs come around. There are always surprises, both negative and positive. However, on balance, Chiarot adds depth and will have a far better supporting cast than the 2021 Covid MTL fluke squad.

The only silver lining is that FL paid a fairly steep price for him.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Elliotte Friedman seems to think Giroux to FLA for Tippett is becoming a certainty. Tippett is being held out of Charlotte's game tonight, and the Flyers have been watching him extensively. Tonight is Giroux's 1000th game as a Flyer, so it may go down tomorrow.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Yeah if Florida gets Giroux then the 3peat becomes pretty slim. Florida is taking advantage of being flexible right now and they already have several weapons. Adding Giroux won't do us any favors. Don't see how we compete with that. Team lacks two additional NHL level players that make an impact and we have no room to address it.

If they can't develop Joseph into something serviceable, on AND off the puck, then his time here should be coming to a close. Him, Raddysh, and Katchouk are our weakest links in the lineup and sadly, 2/3 have to play nightly. Sucks.

Joseph has great speed, but that's about it. Katchouk is my favorite out of the 3, but is lacking in everything but hustle. Heading into a series where 2 out of 6 guys are that tier... coming up against their bottom 6. That's going to suck.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Yeah if Florida gets Giroux then the 3peat becomes pretty slim. Florida is taking advantage of being flexible right now and they already have several weapons. Adding Giroux won't do us any favors. Don't see how we compete with that. Team lacks two additional NHL level players that make an impact and we have no room to address it.

If they can't develop Joseph into something serviceable, on AND off the puck, then his time here should be coming to a close. Him, Raddysh, and Katchouk are our weakest links in the lineup and sadly, 2/3 have to play nightly. Sucks.

Joseph has great speed, but that's about it. Katchouk is my favorite out of the 3, but is lacking in everything but hustle. Heading into a series where 2 out of 6 guys are that tier... coming up against their bottom 6. That's going to suck.

The chances of a threepeat are already slim. Giroux to a playoff team (other than us) hurts us, but the impact is marginal.

Has everyone forgotten 2020 already? A historically stacked Tampa team gets swept in first round, the f***ing St. Louis Blues skate off with the Cup. Playoff hockey is just that random. We'll go in in the tier that has just about as good a short as anyone else at the random breaking for them.

YayHockeysBack

Jan 12, 2019
The chances of a threepeat are already slim. Giroux to a playoff team (other than us) hurts us, but the impact is marginal.

Has everyone forgotten 2020 already? A historically stacked Tampa team gets swept in first round, the f***ing St. Louis Blues skate off with the Cup. Playoff hockey is just that random. We'll go in in the tier that has just about as good a short as anyone else at the random breaking for them.
I can't help but think that the Lightning have been idling all season long, knowing so well how different playoff hockey is and how the regular season doesn't matter. Just make the playoffs. The lack of hustle, losing board battles, sloppy passes . . . all will disappear when the real games start. I'm not sure playoff hockey is as much random as it's DIFFERENT, and the Lightning are focused on it, not the regular season. We'll see what happens. But I'm hesitant to draw any conclusions about how this year will be different until the playoffs begin, and when it does always remember that goaltending is hugely important and the Lightning have one of the best that ever played.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

2019 Lightning (the sweep year) was a team that was trying to regular season their way to the cup. The results weren't random.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Giroux to the Panthers seems to be quite a sure thing.
I hate it, because the Panthers will take a step even further with G addition. But let's not forget, they win many game outscoring their defensive problems like we did in 2019. That strategy come playoff time doesn't work as much.

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
Giroux to the Panthers seems to be quite a sure thing.
I hate it, because the Panthers will take a step even further with G addition. But let's not forget, they win many game outscoring their defensive problems like we did in 2019. That strategy come playoff time doesn't work as much.
Kind of like how Eichel put Vegas over the top.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Kind of like how Eichel put Vegas over the top.
I don't think Vegas had the expectation that Eichel would be Eichel at 100% yet.

In reality, we don't know who will matter come playoff time. Giroux may get 11 pts in 4 games, he may be injured, or he may lay a goose egg.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Florida's reward for winning the division (provided they do it) is a meeting with Boston or a meeting with Washington. They better get the #1 overall seed then. I think they dispose of the Capitals without too much difficulty, but Boston would be a very difficult matchup and, Giroux or no GIroux, I could see that one turning out either way (though I would rate them as favorites).

Yes, Giroux would be a big get, no point beating around that bush. And if we end up facing them in the playoffs? Fine. Bring it on, I dunno what else there is to say. Worst case scenario? We still won two Stanley Cups in the preceding seasons. Odds are, I'll be able to sleep at night. Regardless, we aren't talking a Mission Impossible scenario.

Reactions: Zwui21 and DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Florida's reward for winning the division (provided they do it) is a meeting with Boston or a meeting with Washington. They better get the #1 overall seed then. I think they dispose of the Capitals without too much difficulty, but Boston would be a very difficult matchup and, Giroux or no GIroux, I could see that one turning out either way (though I would rate them as favorites).

Yes, Giroux would be a big get, no point beating around that bush. And if we end up facing them in the playoffs? Fine. Bring it on, I dunno what else there is to say. Worst case scenario? We still won two Stanley Cups in the preceding seasons. Odds are, I'll be able to sleep at night. Regardless, we aren't talking a Mission Impossible scenario.
Big defense is still scarier than a big offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad