WJC: 2022 Team Canada Roster Talk, Part II

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
After how Canada spoke about McTavish leadership (Anaheim management mentioned this so many times) I would think he gets a letter for sure.

but only if Anaheim promises to release him next year....;)

I doubt he gets sent back to junior next year, but it would be nice if Anaheim could spare him for a month next year.

Reactions: bsu

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
After how Canada spoke about McTavish leadership (Anaheim management mentioned this so many times) I would think he gets a letter for sure.
It's a possibility for sure. As mentioned Perfetti, Guhle, and Power are likely the main 3. Canada is loaded with players that wear either C's or A's in juniors though, and are deemed leaders. Wright may be young but he did captain the U18s, and has been wearing a letter since his first year in Kingston. O'Rourke has been an OHL captain for a few years now. And other guys like Neighbours, Grieg, Sourdif, Cuylle, and Bourque are older on the team. Heck, even Bedard wears an A in Regina I'm pretty sure.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
All of what has been said here about handedness is true and of course the coaches know all this too but it's also true that every team tries to take the best players. Cameron and the staff must have thought they were the best d-men we had available for this tournament and were not going to take RHD just for the sake of it, There can't be any other explanation. We can only wait and see if that was a sizeable mistake.

Cameron and his decision making ability shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt, given Canada's implosion in the 2011 gold medal game against Russia. Its entirely possible (if not probable) that the game has passed him by and he's either in over his head, or too stubborn to adapt.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Cameron and his decision making ability shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt, given Canada's implosion in the 2011 gold medal game against Russia. Its entirely possible (if not probable) that the game has passed him by and he's either in over his head, or too stubborn to adapt.
That team played a near perfect tournament with the exception of one period. I think this is all a classic case of overreacting.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Agreed.

To me, handedness is extremely important for defencemen, and several posters have listed the obvious puck handling challenges of playing the off-side.

But to me, a defenceman’s play without the puck is even more negatively impacted when he plays the off-side, usually in ways most people do not even recognize.

Example: imagine you are a right-handed defenceman playing your natural side, skating backwards and maintaining tight gap control while defending the rush through the neutral zone. Where’s your stick? It’s in your left hand, protecting open ice (your body protects against anything wall-side).

Now, imagine you are doing the same thing but you’re switched to the left side (your off side). Where’s your stick? It’s still in your left hand — but now it’s board side. Your ability to protect the middle of the ice is severely compromised simply by the geometry.

Canada is going to ask every single D playing the right side to deal with this. There aren’t many Doug Harveys or Bobby Orrs — two masters at playing their off side — on Canada’s WJC roster.

I’m anything but a dinosaur, but handedness bloody well matters.
I disagree. The most important thing is talent by a far bit. Handedness is a minor thing that most smart Dmen can adjust to, and in some cases, profit from. The better shot angle from the point is one advantage, as is a better passing angle and options on breakouts. I also far preferred playing on the offside in defending line rushes. It is much easier to defend the outside speed move, so you can cheat a tad into the middle, which helps cut off a pass there and puts you into a better position for blocking a shot. For those who like open ice hits, it's an invitation for a forward to cut into the middle...if you can anticipate it, there's some opportunities for some big hits.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I remember back then. That Gretzky kid was nationally known by then. Featured on the national news repeatedly.
absolutely. I remember reading about him when he was 11 or 12yo, and scoring 200 goals in a year, or something crazy like that.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
absolutely. I remember reading about him when he was 11 or 12yo, and scoring 200 goals in a year, or something crazy like that.
387 goals... in one season. :eek:

...and then his coach was quoted as saying "We know Wayne can score goals, but we're interested in his play AWAY from the puck!" :laugh:

Reactions: jj cale

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
That team played a near perfect tournament with the exception of one period. I think this is all a classic case of overreacting.
They came out with the objective of physically destroying the opponent and establishing netfront presence. It worked well in 2011 with players like Foligno and Kassian on the team, but 10 years later I have my doubts

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
The most recent players to make it at Bedard's current age were Mcdavid and Laf (I think), who were almost putting up an entire point-per-game more than Bedard when they made the team. These two players combined to put up 5 points total over the course of the WJC, and even McDavid who had 4 of the points, was used very little by the medal rounds.

Not that points are everything, but 16-year-olds are almost guaranteed to stuggle at some point during this tournament so this really feels like rewarding Bedard for his U18 performance plus a desire to showcase him as the next "Canadian generational talent".
Laf did not play in the 2018 tournament, so no he is not a valid comparison.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I disagree. The most important thing is talent by a far bit. Handedness is a minor thing that most smart Dmen can adjust to, and in some cases, profit from. The better shot angle from the point is one advantage, as is a better passing angle and options on breakouts. I also far preferred playing on the offside in defending line rushes. It is much easier to defend the outside speed move, so you can cheat a tad into the middle, which helps cut off a pass there and puts you into a better position for blocking a shot. For those who like open ice hits, it's an invitation for a forward to cut into the middle...if you can anticipate it, there's some opportunities for some big hits.

Obviously talent is the starting point. But let's talk about the cons. It is extremely difficult to corral bouncing corner pucks on your backhand. Talking dump ins, chips, turnovers here. Taking reversals behind the net is also much more difficult on your backhand. Trying to adjust to open a lane takes an extra half-second and with the speed at which hockey is played today, D often don't have an extra half-second+ to make those adjustments.

Both of those fundamental elements of playing D are made doubly challenging when you have forecheckers bearing down on you.

6 LHD is weird. 8 LHD is just bizarre and is something that will be game planned for and taken advantage of by a smart coach.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Don't get me wrong, he concerns me, but surely he and his assistants know and have discussed this problem. I mean, they must know a little better then us armchair guys right? I damn well hope so.

To be honest, I am more concerned with scoring this year then this issue. I wonder just how much ability to put goals up against the good teams in big games this team is going to have after the top line. I hope I am wrong but to me it seems a rather pedestrian group offensively by our usual standards, a lot of proverbial "2 way players" I.E: guys who go hard on the forecheck and backcheck but aren't all that offensively gifted (even though they will swear to us that they are).

Last edited:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Don't get me wrong, he concerns me, but surely he and his assistants know and have discussed this problem. I mean, they must know a little better then us armchair guys right? I damn well hope so.

To be honest, I am more concerned with scoring this year then this issue. I wonder just how much ability to put goals up against the good teams in big games this team is going to have after the top line. I hope I am wrong but to me it seems a rather pedestrian group offensively by our usual standards, a lot of proverbial "2 way players" I.E: guys who go hard on the forecheck and backcheck but aren't all that offensively gifted (even though they will swear to us that they are).
I kind of agree with your assessment about scoring. We’ll always have good scorers, but you need really top end gamebreakers and the best guy we have in that regard is like 12, or something. :laugh:

Reactions: jj cale

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I think its an underrated offense personally. Lets take a look at the 68 game pace of the CHL players. I understand that some may regress, the sample size is too small for others, and all won't play 68 games, but its a good illustration of the firepower:

Guenther (43 goals 87 points), Neighbours (34 goals 122 points), Sourdif (25 goals 95 points), Bourque (34 goals 136 points), Bourgault (62 goals 120 points), Bedard (40 goals 68 points) Stankoven (40 goals 94 points), Desnoyers (47 goals 106 points), Cuylle (55 goals 77 points), Wright (34 goals 92 points), Greig (50 goals 100 points).

I didn't include McTavish since he's only played a few games but I''m confident he, along with Perfetti and Johnson, would have a 40-50 goal 100 point CHL pace this year.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I kind of agree with your assessment about scoring. We’ll always have good scorers, but you need really top end gamebreakers and the best guy we have in that regard is like 12, or something. :laugh:
Well. guys like Johnson, Perfetti and Wright better perform as good as advertised because behind it I fear I see too many guys who might fall into the category of "great scorers on their respective junior clubs" type but who can't create much opportunity here.

The games against the good clubs here are a level above what they face in the CHL.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Power is in his last year of eligibility - was a first overall pick and would have made last year’s team if he was allowed to play. The last time a first overall pick played for TC at the WJC was RNH? And IIRC, he wore the C for Canada.
I think there is a good chance Power dawns it this year.

Ryan Nugent Hopkins also put up 52 points in 62 games the year before that WJC in the NHL and only played because of the lockout. I'm not saying Power wont get it, and I'm sure he'll get a letter I'm just saying I would bet on Guhle being the captain

I know nothing about his leadership abilities but I struggle to see Guhle getting the C. Love the player but I see Power or even Perfetti getting it over him. Could also see Wright in the mix for an A as well.

Guhle has worn a letter over Perfetti in tournaments I believe as they came up. Guhle also plays more of a heart and soul game that a captain for Canada usually has.

I would bet on a bunch of guys before Wright getting a letter. Hes a draft eligible, most draft eligibles dont even make Canada and when they do they barely play big minutes.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The Captain and assistants is getting some discussion. Is this important to you? why?

Notreally but theres a bit of a lull until they take the ice again so its an interesting dicussion to have in the meantime

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00