WJC: 2022 Team Canada Roster Talk, Part II

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Lines look good, except for the fact that Stankoven-McTavish-Bedard makes simply too much sense given their proven chemistry at the U18s.

They do...

and don't know why, but I thought Bedard was an early January B-day. turning 17 during or shortly after the tourney concluded. but it is Wright who will be 18 on GMG day, Jan 5. Hope he is in it. Bedard turns 17 in July. incredible

That means Bedard would be the 2nd. youngest to ever play for the U20 team? Sid with an August B-day would be the youngest?

@JackSlater will have the answer.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Desnoyers obvious placeholder for Johnson. I don’t know why Hockey Canada still feels the need the make Bedard “prove it” at every turn. I feel like he has shown enough to be rewarded with a regular spot off the bat and bump him down if he doesn’t perform (he will).
I 100% agree. Then again, I'm not so worried about him having to prove it. He will.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
They do...

and don't know why, but I thought Bedard was an early January B-day. turning 17 during or shortly after the tourney concluded. but it is Wright who will be 18 on GMG day, Jan 5. Hope he is in it. Bedard turns 17 in July. incredible

That means Bedard would be the 2nd. youngest to ever play for the U20 team? Sid with an August B-day would be the youngest?

@JackSlater will have the answer.

I believe that Bouwmeester is the youngest player as a September birthday. Then Crosby, then Bedard.

MosTLucky

May 25, 2016
I really think that third line of Neighbours - Greig - Sourdif will do some damage

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Getting nervous about Johnson. Having that 19 year old pure skill guy on the team was a really good feeling going into the tournament.

MasterPecno

Dec 14, 2021
Getting nervous about Johnson. Having that 19 year old pure skill guy on the team was a really good feeling going into the tournament.

I don’t think team Canada would put his name on the list if they think he would miss the tournament, they would not squander a spot for a maybe show up . So I’m pretty sure he shows up. My opinion of course

Reactions: novisor

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Desnoyers/Stankoven seem to having a really good training camp thus far. Desnoyers probably drops back to the fourth line once Kent Johnson returns. But if he isn't ready by boxing day that may be where Elliot stays

Last edited:

MasterPecno

Dec 14, 2021
I don’t know these players, really I haven’t kept up to date last couple years

Can anyone please summarize this team ?

Last few years team Canada has put emphasis on speed and no longer dump and chase. Is this still the case with this team ?

is this a fast team with high end scorers ? Or is this a grit team defensive style ? Will the defence start the rush or play defence only ?

Much appreciate if someone can summarize this team

thank you

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

Last few years team Canada has put emphasis on speed and no longer dump and chase. Is this still the case with this team ?

is this a fast team with high end scorers ? Or is this a grit team defensive style ? Will the defence start the rush or play defence only ?

thank you

Pierre-Dorion-Sportsnet.jpg

We're a team.

Seriously though, this team is supposed to have more jam than last year, seems like they wanted to be harder to play against.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Is anyone else getting sort of nervous about the Covid it got so bad today. I'm just worried it will ruin part of my favourite part of the year. Hopefully all the federations are being very careful.
Also want to feel old? Connor Bedard was not born during the 2005 WJC run. The greatest run there was. The first WJC I watched.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Also more hockey related is anyone else sort of worried reliant it appears were getting Wright. Bedard is getting all the attention because of his age but even 17 year olds don't have a great history getting things done unless they are McDavid. Lafreniere did nothing when he was 17 part of it was Dim tim Hunter but the following year its not like Byfield did much of anything either

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Also more hockey related is anyone else sort of worried reliant it appears were getting Wright. Bedard is getting all the attention because of his age but even 17 year olds don't have a great history getting things done unless they are McDavid. Lafreniere did nothing when he was 17 part of it was Dim tim Hunter but the following year its not like Byfield did much of anything either

I'd shoot for a Stamkos type performance from Wright. Stamkos was on the top line, but he wasn't the focal point of that line and he wasn't expected to carry Canada at all. Wright should be able to be a good contributor to the team but realistically we shouldn't expect huge things from a 17 year old. If he can pick up a point or so each game, including the tough games, and provide solid defence then that will be a successful tournament on an individual level.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Is anyone else getting sort of nervous about the Covid it got so bad today. I'm just worried it will ruin part of my favourite part of the year. Hopefully all the federations are being very careful.
Also want to feel old? Connor Bedard was not born during the 2005 WJC run. The greatest run there was. The first WJC I watched.
What really makes me feel old is when someone talks about their first WJC in 2005 when I'd already been watching it for about a decade and a half before that. :wally:

Reactions: Mehar

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I'd shoot for a Stamkos type performance from Wright. Stamkos was on the top line, but he wasn't the focal point of that line and he wasn't expected to carry Canada at all. Wright should be able to be a good contributor to the team but realistically we shouldn't expect huge things from a 17 year old. If he can pick up a point or so each game, including the tough games, and provide solid defence then that will be a successful tournament on an individual level.
One thing I would add is that he isn’t your typical 17 year old in the sense that he has always played up a year. He was drafted ahead of McTavish and outperformed him last OHL season and is already in his third OHL season (albeit second operating season). So, to me he is more like an 18 year old.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You are making me feel really old then. The first WJC I watched was 1991, when it was held in Saskatchewan, and I was 9 years old. Canada beat the Soviets in an epic final game. Eric Lindros was amazing the entire tournament. No disputing the fact that the 2005 team was the greatest Canada ever sent to the WJC.

Reactions: Statsy

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.

thank you
We have McTavish, Greig, Neighbours, Cuylle, Guhle, Lambos as your physical leaders. But this yearly tournament is always high energy, fast hockey. That's the Canada will play as usual. I think we have good players for that style, superior to last year for sure.

The top line, Zellweger and Cormier would identify as more finesse players. The rest of the players are unfamiliar to me. And for once, Canada has an elite goalie in Cossa who is a top 15 pick like Spencer Knight.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
What really makes me feel old is when someone talks about their first WJC in 2005 when I'd already been watching it for about a decade and a half before that. :wally:

or me...who fondly remembers his first WJC in 1986. A Christmas tradition was born.

I do miss those early to mid-90s tournaments when we were university students and we'd gather somewhere huddled around the TV...ignoring the GFs in some other room. It drove them absolutely nuts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad