WJC: 2022 Team Canada Roster Talk, Part II

costa rican kid

Dec 8, 2021
You are making me feel really old then. The first WJC I watched was 1991, when it was held in Saskatchewan, and I was 9 years old. Canada beat the Soviets in an epic final game. Eric Lindros was amazing the entire tournament. No disputing the fact that the 2005 team was the greatest Canada ever sent to the WJC.
Ha ha ha I recall reading about the 82 gold medal team in North Dakota ( i think) where the area staff didn't have the anthem and the boys sang O Canada without the music. After that its been 40 yrs of following this tournament no matter where I was in the world. A lot of great memories and a number of close heartbreaking losses, including last yr. 2011 was a difficult 3rd period. I sure hope Cameron had learned from that loss. I am always excited about the tourney and about this team, the team looks balanced, exciting players offensively, has some grit which is a Canadian trademark, good solid D and solid goaltending. Going Gold

Reactions: Mehar and jj cale

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
One thing I would add is that he isn’t your typical 17 year old in the sense that he has always played up a year. He was drafted ahead of McTavish and outperformed him last OHL season and is already in his third OHL season (albeit second operating season). So, to me he is more like an 18 year old.
Question... can Wright take off his cage for the GMG (or BMG) given Canada is in one them?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
We have McTavish, Greig, Neighbours, Cuylle, Guhle, Lambos as your physical leaders. But this yearly tournament is always high energy, fast hockey. That's the Canada will play as usual. I think we have good players for that style, superior to last year for sure.

The top line, Zellweger and Cormier would identify as more finesse players. The rest of the players are unfamiliar to me. And for once, Canada has an elite goalie in Cossa who is a top 15 pick like Spencer Knight.

O'Rourke and Sebrango on the back end are also really physical players, and would be guys who will lead the way on that. But yeah the group you mentioned plus the 2 dmen I mentioned are all guys who I would consider extremely tough to play against for this tournament. I also think you can throw guys like Desnoyers and Sourdif into a group who will be hard to play against but they might not be the "physical leaders" if that makes sense.

You really think the though process was to keep Garand as a back-up for 2 years? He's 19, and the top goalie in the CHL, he's getting the ball.

I think the thought process is to play whoever gives them the best chance at winning. Theres a good chance that could be Cossa, hes Canadas highest drafted goalie in how long? Either way, Cossa/Garand whoever starts, this has to be the strongest 1,2 punch in net for Canada in a long time. I'm really comfortable with either of them back there in a gold medal game.

I also dont know if hes the top goalie in the CHL. Junior stats are wonky and theres plenty of people who would take Cossa over him

Reactions: Dominance

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
O'Rourke and Sebrango on the back end are also really physical players, and would be guys who will lead the way on that. But yeah the group you mentioned plus the 2 dmen I mentioned are all guys who I would consider extremely tough to play against for this tournament. I also think you can throw guys like Desnoyers and Sourdif into a group who will be hard to play against but they might not be the "physical leaders" if that makes sense.

I think the thought process is to play whoever gives them the best chance at winning. Theres a good chance that could be Cossa, hes Canadas highest drafted goalie in how long? Either way, Cossa/Garand whoever starts, this has to be the strongest 1,2 punch in net for Canada in a long time. I'm really comfortable with either of them back there in a gold medal game.

I also dont know if hes the top goalie in the CHL. Junior stats are wonky and theres plenty of people who would take Cossa over him
Two things;

You've got to watch how you play the "physicality" card at the WJC's. More than one Canadian team has imploded because they either went over the edge, or got an international ref who called a way tighter game. All CAN has to do is to play stout against the strong players on the RUS, SWE, and US teams. Don't let them turn the corner on you, win puck battles without getting carried away, and be a presence in front of the net without losing your temper. I think guys like Stankoven might drive some opponents crazy, and goad them into taking penalties.

Cossa might well be the 3rd best G at the WJC's, so they don't have an edge there. I could easily see Wallstedt or Askarov carrying their team to a Gold.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Note the last sentence.

Attachments

• 8B07908C-F110-40E7-86D2-FE4D7FDF4BE8.jpeg
    8B07908C-F110-40E7-86D2-FE4D7FDF4BE8.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 24

EichelFan15

May 7, 2021
A few quotes about Bedard from Senior Vice-President of Hockey Canada Scott Salmond on OverDrive yesterday:

"This is a player who always rises to the occasion and we expect him to rise to the occasion again"

"His best quality is his offense and his ability to think the game at a different level, plays with his head up at all times. We talked about it again today after practice with the coaches, just his ability to make plays - it's just an innate ability, he knows what's going to happen before it happens.... Like a lot of the great players just has a 6th sense. We are going to count on him for offense, but he's also a young player defensively, he's got some things to learn on that side of the game so that's something he's going to have to commit to be be successful here - and that's not unique to Connor, that's everybody, everyone has to commit to the other side of the puck"

"He's a gamebreaker, he has the ability to make plays under pressure and to create time and space for himself when it doesn't look like it's there. By the end of this if you don't know who Connor Bedard is, I think you probably will."

Makes it sounds like they are fully expecting him to have an impact for this team. Likely putting him as 13th forward for now as extra motivation to prove that he can play on the defensive side of the puck.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
:
Makes it sounds like they are fully expecting him to have an impact for this team. Likely putting him as 13th forward for now as extra motivation to prove that he can play on the defensive side of the puck.

This kid should not be lower than the 3rd line given what we've seen thus far. Start him on the 3rd line so he can get his touches in. Stuffing him down on the fourth line or lower is a waste of his talent. Forget his age, he deserves to be here. It's not like many of the other guys have bigger experience than him (especially when you consider what a stud he was as a double-underager at the the U18's). Perfetti/Guhle have previous WJC experience and Perfetti/Power have Men's IIHF Gold as from last year. Other than that, Bedard is par with everyone else experience-wise.

costa rican kid

Dec 8, 2021
I feel old because my first memories of this tournament are as an 8 year old watching Fluery play the puck off of O'Sullivan in the school gym in 2004.
Another one of the forgettable moments. since then Canada is 0-4, I believe in the final against USA. 2005 i was hoping Canada against USA for revenge.

PumpkinBomb

Jul 22, 2020
You really think the though process was to keep Garand as a back-up for 2 years? He's 19, and the top goalie in the CHL, he's getting the ball.

I don't think he's the best goalie.
If you're basing it off stats, you can't compare. The WHL only plays within their conferences, and the quality of competition is very different.

On the eye test I think Cossa is the better of the two.

They're both pretty good, but I think Cossa has all the athleticism that Garand has, and the extra size to boot.

Reactions: Mehar

costa rican kid

Dec 8, 2021
Two things;

You've got to watch how you play the "physicality" card at the WJC's. More than one Canadian team has imploded because they either went over the edge, or got an international ref who called a way tighter game. All CAN has to do is to play stout against the strong players on the RUS, SWE, and US teams. Don't let them turn the corner on you, win puck battles without getting carried away, and be a presence in front of the net without losing your temper. I think guys like Stankoven might drive some opponents crazy, and goad them into taking penalties.

Cossa might well be the 3rd best G at the WJC's, so they don't have an edge there. I could easily see Wallstedt or Askarov carrying their team to a Gold.
I could just as easy see Cossa or Garlandd carry Canada to gold .

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
This kid should not be lower than the 3rd line given what we've seen thus far. Start him on the 3rd line so he can get his touches in. Stuffing him down on the fourth line or lower is a waste of his talent. Forget his age, he deserves to be here. It's not like many of the other guys have bigger experience than him (especially when you consider what a stud he was as a double-underager at the the U18's). Perfetti/Guhle have previous WJC experience and Perfetti/Power have Men's IIHF Gold as from last year. Other than that, Bedard is par with everyone else experience-wise.
There is no way he plays on the 3rd line. He will either be the 13th forward or earn a top 6 role. There will be lots of ice time for him if he performs.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
That first unit is insane. Last years first overall running from the point, with this years first overall (who has a deadly shot) ready to fire from the bumper...a 3rd overall pick in front of the net, and 2 other top-10 picks ready to shoot one-timers.:popcorn:
Though not as deep (some of that has to do with not inviting the best players), I do believe this team has more match winners/star power than last year

Last edited:
Reactions: Stewie Griffin

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Another one of the forgettable moments. since then Canada is 0-4, I believe in the final against USA. 2005 i was hoping Canada against USA for revenge.
Including that yes. Canada has played the US in the GMG 5 times, winning in 97' and losing in 04', 10', 17,' & 21'. Coincidentally the US has won 5 gold medals, 4 against Canada in those aforementioned years, and 2013 vs Sweden with arguably the best team they've ever iced.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Glad to hear about Johnson I was worried he was going to miss it. He's one of the players I'm most interested in watching. Also just out of curiosity what do you think Team Canada too would look like
Roy Lapirre Evangelista
Savoie Savoie Dean
Othman Bolduc L'Heraux
Tverberg Finley Dufour
Fantilli
Hunt Clarke
Iorio Cuelemans
Benning Thompson

Lennox
Gaudreau
Pretty good team maybe not quite as good as the first team but I think they could contend for gold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad