2022 Offseason Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Marco Rossi had even before his draft better goal and point per game in OHL than Johnston and still has not got place in the NHL. Also on the junior national teams Johnston really does not have done anything big and still has not played in u20 team. Im not saying he is not going to be great player but sometimes it can be hard to move to NHL level from juniors and nothing is sure. Maybe when guy is Mcdavid/Matthews/Bedard? level.

Rossi is 5'9 and a mediocre skater compared to 6'2 and a great skater in Johnston. And like LT said, Rossi had really bad COVID that caused him to have to take a year off hockey. Rossi was also great this year in the AHL, so he's hardly a bust and will still probably turn out to be a ~70 point NHL player at the end of the day.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
What might the Habs ask for Mike Hoffman? His contract is only for 2 more years so if he doesn't pan out then it won't be a long term mistake. Montreal is not close to contending so they might be willing to trade for assets.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
None of us can predict with absolute certainty who is going to make it, make it big, bust out, etc., not even GM's which is why draft records are so spotty. Nill is actually mid pack, despite the fact we can name every bust he ever drafted.

Which is why most GM's are more conservative than those of us in the internet GM situation. Truly, conservative moves that result in moderate success don't get questions, but bold moves that fail really draw attention.

What might the Habs ask for Mike Hoffman? His contract is only for 2 more years so if he doesn't pan out then it won't be a long term mistake. Montreal is not close to contending so they might be willing to trade for assets.
Not terrible, but we are pretty schizo on this topic. Do we want to bring in more aging vets past their prime to be moderately more competitive next year, or bank on our future assets that look promising? I know we don't speak in one voice, and differences of opinion are allowed, but while Hoffman might be a good scorer, does one more scorer get us over some hurdle, or not?

Reactions: kabidjan18

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
We know we have Wyatt Johnston emerging as a C. I'm unsure if Bourque plays C in the NHL. So for a few years you have a C core of Johnston, Dellandrea, Faksa, and Seguin/Benn (both capable of playing C).

No, we don't. It looks promising but not a certainty.

For cap reasons, it does seem we need to sign probably two of three of Robo, Hintz, and Otter to less expensive bridge deals until the Seguin and Benn contracts expire. If that is Hintz and one other, it will be Hintz and one other, that makes sense. Is there a real need to sign one or all of the RFA to max 8 year deals?

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
None of us can predict with absolute certainty who is going to make it, make it big, bust out, etc., not even GM's which is why draft records are so spotty. Nill is actually mid pack, despite the fact we can name every bust he ever drafted.

Which is why most GM's are more conservative than those of us in the internet GM situation. Truly, conservative moves that result in moderate success don't get questions, but bold moves that fail really draw attention.

Not terrible, but we are pretty schizo on this topic. Do we want to bring in more aging vets past their prime to be moderately more competitive next year, or bank on our future assets that look promising? I know we don't speak in one voice, and differences of opinion are allowed, but while Hoffman might be a good scorer, does one more scorer get us over some hurdle, or not?
I casually asked the Montreal fans over in the trade boards what they would want for Hoffman.

I discovered that they have an incredibly low opinion of him. And that the most memorable thing from our playoff stint to the rest of the league was evidently the woman behind the bench.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
He is a 32 year old, 15 goal scorer on MTL, a trash team this year. He has a history of off ice issues (or his fiance did). If he was a Star, we would have a low opinion of him, too. While I don't think all our youngsters will do it, I do believe Petersen, Guri on a rebound, and maybe Delly or one of the others can do that next year, as we try to (all together now) "score by committee." Hope is not a great plan, but I think most of us want to break the cycle of brining in old, mid level vets, no?

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I wouldn’t mind bringing back studenic, raffl and namestnikov. I wonder if theirs a possibility of moving Guruanov for a dman in a similar situation but can’t think of any actual targets that fit that category
What is holding Gurianov back from reaching his potential?

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
I wonder what it would take to get Chychrun…. 2022 1st, maybe a 2nd.. a prospect or player?

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
He is a 32 year old, 15 goal scorer on MTL, a trash team this year. He has a history of off ice issues (or his fiance did). If he was a Star, we would have a low opinion of him, too. While I don't think all our youngsters will do it, I do believe Petersen, Guri on a rebound, and maybe Delly or one of the others can do that next year, as we try to (all together now) "score by committee." Hope is not a great plan, but I think most of us want to break the cycle of brining in old, mid level vets, no?
I'm as conservative as they come when it comes to front office transactions. I'm as down for a scoring by committee scheme as anyone else. But recently it does feel like there have still been some goalscoring deficits, and other people are far more upset about that than me, to be honest.

I'm open to other suggestions. I'll be the first to admit I've no talent as a scout for offensive talent. What I really like about Hoffman is the flexibility in his contract. He has no protections, can be traded whenever, and even if we cant get rid of him, we are only tied to him until 2024 the latest. He is on the wrong side of 30, but his contract is not a trap like Benn, Seguin or Suter. And teams ask for a pretty penny for proven goalscoring forwards under 30...to which the only suggestion I've heard today is trade Hintz.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
We know we have Wyatt Johnston emerging as a C. I'm unsure if Bourque plays C in the NHL. So for a few years you have a C core of Johnston, Dellandrea, Faksa, and Seguin/Benn (both capable of playing C).

No, we don't. It looks promising but not a certainty.

For cap reasons, it does seem we need to sign probably two of three of Robo, Hintz, and Otter to less expensive bridge deals until the Seguin and Benn contracts expire. If that is Hintz and one other, it will be Hintz and one other, that makes sense. Is there a real need to sign one or all of the RFA to max 8 year deals?
Wrong thread?

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
1652744680888.jpeg

I thought this was pretty funny

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
U cant hide from the Hintz trade talk in here brother
I think it makes sense, unless you can sign him to a 4-5 year contract. I'm open to a lot of things with this team right now and I think it's closed minded to shut down the idea of moving on from Hintz

• Haha
Reactions: starsfan86

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Vancouver wants to move out salary. Thoughts on Boeser or Miller? I wanted Dallas to add JT at the deadline. I think he would fit this system and help the offense.

Reactions: starsfan86

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Is there anyway to buy out both of Seguin and Benn's contracts?

IMHO they are both done and will waste prime years of Hintz, Ottinger and Heiskanen.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Is there anyway to buy out both of Seguin and Benn's contracts?

IMHO they are both done and will waste prime years of Hintz, Ottinger and Heiskanen.
Buying out Benn saves virtually nothing. His contract was structured to be buyout proof. It would mean carrying an $8.8 million cap penalty for the next three seasons. The savings amounts to the cost of a league minimum player.

As much as it sucks, the Stars are still better off paying Benn $9.5 million to produce 40 something points than they are buying him out to replace him with a league minimum AHLer who might with luck hit 10 points.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Buying out Benn saves virtually nothing. His contract was structured to be buyout proof. It would mean carrying an $8.8 million cap penalty for the next three seasons. The savings amounts to the cost of a league minimum player.

As much as it sucks, the Stars are still better off paying Benn $9.5 million to produce 40 something points than they are buying him out to replace him with a league minimum AHLer who might with luck hit 10 points.
Just 2 more years and we’re out of that hole .

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
I think it makes sense, unless you can sign him to a 4-5 year contract. I'm open to a lot of things with this team right now and I think it's closed minded to shut down the idea of moving on from Hintz

This isn't wrong. I think it's more just that being realistic means it's highly unlikely he does get moved. We're just to the point where, if the right offer comes around, we'd at least mull it over.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Vancouver wants to move out salary. Thoughts on Boeser or Miller? I wanted Dallas to add JT at the deadline. I think he would fit this system and help the offense.

JT Miller could be exactly what this team needs.

Reactions: Rory
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad