2022 Offseason Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Too soon? :)

Feels like it's time though. I'm sure a lot of us have thoughts about this offseason and the team going forward.

NHL Draft will be July 7th & 8th.

Reactions: LT

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Get rid of bowness, laxdal, stevens.
Hire Trotz or
Someone like Jalonen

Last edited:

Arkham32

Nov 9, 2012
I wouldn’t mind bringing back studenic, raffl and namestnikov. I wonder if theirs a possibility of moving Guruanov for a dman in a similar situation but can’t think of any actual targets that fit that category

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Studenic is RFA i assume he's getting qualified. He played himself into another contract here imho.

Robo and Oettingers extensions are obviously the big elephants in the room. That will take up most capspace.

Finding someone who takes Khudobin would be nice. If he can play maybe move him to the Yotes sicne they need to hit the capfloor and have no backup right now

Gurianov i think depends on who the coach is . Could see him sticking around with a new coaching staff trying to get him back on track.

Last edited:

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I think because of the money, you have to move on from Gurianov despite the potential risk he could flourish under a new coach. You can't keep him and add an established scorer ... and you have to add some scoring. You're probably not going to use it all on one guy because I definitely think Namestnikov and possibly even Raffl should come back, but you need to move Khudobin and dump Gurianov.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
With Glendening still here for another year and Dellandrea around i think you move Faksa if you get a good offer . He had a miserable regular season but looked good in the playoffs . So dunno maybe you move or you don't.,

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I would bridge Otter because you just never know with goaltenders, especially young ones. He still hasn't been the number one for a full season, so lets see a couple of ~60 start seasons from him before committing to 8 years, even if it does end up costing a bit more money.

Robo, I dunno. Leave him till late in the offseason to see what other moves you can make first, then go long if you've still got the cap for it, I guess.

Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I would be ok with replacing Bowness with Trotz.

Short order items. I think Radulov and Sekera are gone. I want to lose Studenic and Gurianov, they could be used as trade pieces. Raffl and Namestnikov can come back at their current rates but not higher or for long term. Ideally Khudobin could be traded. Wedgewood at his current rate is acceptable.

If Bishop is LTIR and Khudobin is traded, this leaves us with a significant amount of cap actually. Correct me if my cap mechanics are wrong but something to the tune of 25 million. Money is necessary to resign Oettinger and Robertson. Resigning Raffl, Namestnikov and Wedegwood as well would probably leave maybe 7 million left?

We're at 20 skaters, to get to 23 we need to bring up one more from the minors if I'm competent at counting. Now we're at maybe 6 million cap left. I think ideally to spend on 1 forward and 1 defenseman. The bigger you go for one, the smaller you can go for the other, and vise versa.

The defensemen I'd like to target include the following. Gustav Lindstrom, Dylan Samberg, Logan Stanley, Zach Whitecloud, Haydn Fleury, Carson Soucy, Jacob Moverare. Though this list is not exhaustive. Ben Chiarot would also be interesting to me but for my expectation that he will ask for more money and more term, probably neither of which I would be interested in giving. There's also the question of how big a step up Thomas Harley can take. He will probably make the roster but whether or not he is ready for top 4 minutes is unknown.

For forwards. I think any gratuitous scorer is probably fine. I typically have a preference for forwards who can go both ways, but the team really lacks gratuitous offense, even at the expense of other things. As to which gratuitous scoring forward is the best to acquire via free agency or trade with this budget...someone else who is looking out for scoring forwards would almost certainly know better. I'm very open to suggestions. I'm a bit afraid of signing any older forwards to term though, so guys like Perron, Palat, great forwards but I'm a bit scared of how long they might ask to stay around.

Robertson - Hintz - Pavelski
Unknown - Benn - Seguin
Namestnikov - Faksa - Raffl
Peterson - Dellandrea - Glendening

Harley - Heiskanen
Lindell - Hakanpaa
Suter - Unknown

Oettinger
Wedgewood

Last edited:

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Since we moved to this thread, I’ll re-post (and add) here:

This league still loves “household names”— at times way too much. So I definitely think Benn and Seguin would be attractive to teams with up to 50% retention. I have no doubt in my mind. The Stars may not get much back, but they wouldn’t have to give up anything additional to move them—and that in itself is a win IMHO. I think one of them needs to go this off-season.

I think Seguin needs another season to see what he can do after such a challenging recovery. He may likely never be worth his contract, but it may enough to hang on to him for another few years. But Benn needed to go at least two years ago.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Since we moved to this thread, I’ll re-post (and add) here:

This league still loves “household names”— at times way too much. So I definitely think Benn and Seguin would be attractive to teams with up to 50% retention. I have no doubt in my mind. The Stars may not get much back, but they wouldn’t have to give up anything additional to move them—and that in itself is a win IMHO. I think one of them needs to go this off-season.

I think Seguin needs another season to see what he can do after such a challenging recovery. He may likely never be worth his contract, but it may enough to hang on to him for another few years. But Benn needed to go at least two years ago.

The issue with Benn is does he want to move and where if he does ? Because i don't think he wants to and he has the final say in it. . You'd first have to find a franchise with a sucker GM like say Philly and Fletcher to unload Benn and then he'll have to agree to move as well.

Can't even buy his contract out either because it doesn't save you any money.

If Benn gets move it won't be this offseason. 3 years is just too much term left imho. Too big a gamble even for sucker GM's.

Reactions: LT and JesusNPucks

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Miro is heading over to Finland to play in the world championships.
Let’s hope for a strong showing with a confidence booster.

Also getting to play for his new coach :sarcasm:

Offensive dynamo Miro incoming.

I wish the new coach thing wasn't a joke, I'd be very interested in seeing a european coach try his hand at NHL hockey, would be fascinating to see it.

Reactions: Johno

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
The issue with Benn is does he want to move and where if he does ? Because i don't think he wants to and he has the final say in it. . You'd first have to find a franchise with a sucker GM like say Philly and Fletcher to unload Benn and then he'll have to agree to move as well.

Can't even buy his contract out either because it doesn't save you any money.

If Benn gets move it won't be this offseason. 3 years is just too much term left imho. Too big a gamble even for sucker GM's.
Sure, I get that; you're right. But I can't recall too many players in recent memory refusing to waive their NMC. And knowing Jim Nill—if he's still the GM, that is—he wouldn't ask Benn about it unless it was to a place that would be good for him overall. I figured the PNW would be attractive to him, but who knows...

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Gurianov needs to go. Game 7 of the playoffs and he didn't break a sweat. The dude is the most useless player I've ever seen in my life.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Gurianov needs to go. Game 7 of the playoffs and he didn't break a sweat. The dude is the most useless player I've ever seen in my life.
And as our luck would have it, he'll rebirth like Nichushkin elsewhere. Unfortunately, his trade value is too low now to get any reasonable return to make the above digestible.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
This was the final kick at the can for the current core, and I think team management needs to be bold moving forward to optimize a core around our incoming wave of prospects. If the Stars want to win a cup, they’re going to have to bet on Johnston, Bourque, and Stankoven being top-line players and build something around them. Heiskanen is a fantastic anchor for defence, but you need someone to pair with him, and I don’t think Harley is that player.

I’m going to echo what was said in the prospects thread; I think the move is to trade Hintz before a precipitous decline like Benn and Seguin. The next window of contention appears to be a few years off, and Hintz might not hold up physically to that point. Trading him for a young RHD would really help balance the lineup going forward and isn’t something we can fill internally with prospects before the next contention window (even if we draft someone this year D take longer to develop).

The Stars have been plagued by a lack of synchrony in terms of strengths (no goalies and defence at Benn/Seguin prime), and management needs to have the forethought to not get attached to players in their late 20s.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I'm still hoping for Benn or Segs to develop a career threatening uniform allergy. Seems like our best way out of their contract and cap hits........

Trading either without 50% cap retention (and their blessing) is a problem, although an improving seguin with 24 goals would make a nice second line forward for someone. For that matter, Benn still has value as a third or fourth liner, just not at $9M and probably not at $4.5 to someone else. We probably keep them, but bridge contract Robo and Otter, and end up paying them the max later.

It's a pickle to be in, that is for sure.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
This was the final kick at the can for the current core, and I think team management needs to be bold moving forward to optimize a core around our incoming wave of prospects. If the Stars want to win a cup, they’re going to have to bet on Johnston, Bourque, and Stankoven being top-line players and build something around them. Heiskanen is a fantastic anchor for defence, but you need someone to pair with him, and I don’t think Harley is that player.

I’m going to echo what was said in the prospects thread; I think the move is to trade Hintz before a precipitous decline like Benn and Seguin. The next window of contention appears to be a few years off, and Hintz might not hold up physically to that point. Trading him for a young RHD would really help balance the lineup going forward and isn’t something we can fill internally with prospects before the next contention window (even if we draft someone this year D take longer to develop).

The Stars have been plagued by a lack of synchrony in terms of strengths (no goalies and defence at Benn/Seguin prime), and management needs to have the forethought to not get attached to players in their late 20s.
Good luck on Nill trading one of his own top drafted assets away.

But just for kicks: Which young RHD would you trade for Hintz?

Reactions: LT

Rompane

Jan 16, 2021

Hintz played 80 games this season, he is fine. I think he is only going to get better and get point totals to the 80-100 points and be a 40 goal scorer. He is very modern hockey player and i think Dallas can make bargain deal with him if they act fast. Something like 8x7.5m. 25 year old number one NHL centers dont grow in the tree.

Reactions: Dallasman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino