2022 Offseason Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Before we all go crazy and say we have to sell the farm which I don’t think they will to move him. What about swapping Seguin for Petry. Solves Dallas right shot D and Seguin can go closer to home.

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
I have worries long term about Hintz's durability. That's two playoffs in a row wheres he's missed series ending games and he has a history of always being nicked him. That being said, he's an amazing player and if we can lock him up long term at a team friendly deal, I say we do it and hope for the best. If Hintz doesn't want to do a team friendly deal and wants max dollars, I don't think we should be the team giving him that contract.

I have no problems missing playoffs next year and being a lottery team. I believe Dallas is in a unique position to turn things around rather quickly, but there needs to be a year or two here where we rebuild and the 2023 draft has two potentially generational superstars (Bedard, Michkov). If we trade Hintz a few months into the season (after seeing where our team is at), Pavs at deadline, then I see us easily being bottom 10 team. Get some more good draft picks/prospects, and try be competitive again in 2024-25.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars are not going to suck enough for a top2 pick next year and they've made it pretty much impossible to luck into a top 2 pick unless you're one of the top 5 worst teams in the league.

if there's one thing the Stars have never been is one of the worst teams in the league . Even when they missed the playoffs multiple times in a row . They never sucked that badly.

They may not have that many very good players but enough that they'll allways just be at worst around pick ~8-10 ish.

Reactions: kabidjan18

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I've been pessimistic about Nill for years so I honestly don't see him making any major moves this off season. I see @kabidjan18 's post and while I agree with alot of what they are saying, that roster sadly is still not good. Still slow, still awful bottom six. And I'm not sure much can be done about it even with better coaching.

Nill will replace expiring player contacts with players already in the system, one of which I hope is one of the CHL elites who then proves they belong.

I'd offer a one year prove it contract to Guri if Nill could some how improve the 2nd line to maximize Guri's speed and shot. But I don't think he will so Guri might as well be gone.

I'd try to get rid of Glendenning. I'd like Namestnikov and Raffl back but it depends on how the middle six can be filled out. They can't be be playing up in the lineup - that is just more of the same. Studenic I don't care about. JFK can be gone. Faksa could disappear.

Ideally a major transition year but I'm fine with it. I don't think Nill will be though so it will be status quo. No real way to re-tool without a miracle happening.

Reactions: kabidjan18

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
I don’t mind the idea of trading Hintz I just don’t see what would come back that would be valuable for him. I think Robertson either gets a bridge or friendly long term. I would not over pay right now. I know it was his first postseason but he disappeared. Don’t need another $9+ million player not showing up in the playoffs. Already have 2 of those and Seguin has never shown up come playoffs.

Oettinger on the other hand. Give him a deal ASAP. He loves the big stage.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Imagine if this team could generate offense. The pieces were there and the goalie gods aligned as Oettinger stood on his head. He could've carried a slightly improved team the whole way.
When your team can't score and at the deadline you pick up another defensive forward, you're not dealing with the sharpest tool in the management shed.

That screams desperation just to make a move for the sake of it, incompetence or your hands being tied because of your roster/cap situation. In the Stars' case it's the first two because of the third.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
What is depressing is Nill will most likely be back and he has signaled his intentions. You don’t sign pavelski to a 1 year deal if you plan on rebuilding or retooling. He will sign 3rd/4th line grinders who can’t score to cheap contracts like last year and call it good. Probably bring Bowness back to make another run with this core.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
What’s done is done. The only real complaint I have is not getting a better read on Klingberg and moving him out. I didn’t mind the small moves they made to get better. I understand not moving Pavelski but we will have to wait and see what unfolds this off-season. If they are going to be roughly the same team next season it was a miss to keep him on prematurely. Again, I’ll wait to see what they have up their sleeve.

Reactions: Elysian

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Pavelski is unlikely to play for another franchise again . ( maybe a deadline deal at some point if thats what he wants ) I think he retires in a Stars uniform now. He'll continue to sign 1 year deals until he retires and with how good he's been there was no reason to not re-sign him. He's been the Stars best forward in the playoffs as well. We also know he works well with young players so there is no problem there. Good mentor for young players coming in doesn't hurt in a transition period.

Suter sucks but its not outrageous money . Think its likely he and Pavelski go out together whenever they chose to.

The Issue is Benn and Seguins contract for the next few years . Everything else is easily manageable.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Yeah the plan to trade the best driver of offense on a team with zero support sounds like a great deal :nod:

Hintz is undoubtedly a great player and will be over the next couple of years, but the Stars are unlikely to contenders over that period of time. Trading him away is going to hurt the team short-term, but you can’t run back the same team next year and expect to win the cup. A long-term plan needs to be put in place to build a legitimate contender, because the past few years have patching holes on a sinking ship.

Quite frankly the Stars have never had a top-end prospect pool like they have right now. You could certainly make an argument that the Stars have the top-3 major junior prospects in hockey. They also have forwards like Dellandrea, Peterson, and Damiani that should be solid middle six options going forward. What the Stars don’t have is an heir apparent to the gaping void that Klingberg is going to leave behind, which could in theory be addressed by a return from Hintz.

You could try and gamble on Hintz maintaining his form into his late 20s to early 30s, but then you may be forced to address defence through free agency which is often disastrous.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Hintz is undoubtedly a great player and will be over the next couple of years, but the Stars are unlikely to contenders over that period of time. Trading him away is going to hurt the team short-term, but you can’t run back the same team next year and expect to win the cup. A long-term plan needs to be put in place to build a legitimate contender, because the past few years have patching holes on a sinking ship.

Quite frankly the Stars have never had a top-end prospect pool like they have right now. You could certainly make an argument that the Stars have the top-3 major junior prospects in hockey. They also have forwards like Dellandrea, Peterson, and Damiani that should be solid middle six options going forward. What the Stars don’t have is an heir apparent to the gaping void that Klingberg is going to leave behind, which could in theory be addressed by a return from Hintz.

You could try and gamble on Hintz maintaining his form into his late 20s to early 30s, but then you may be forced to address defence through free agency which is often disastrous.
This is why I want them to go for a d man in the first round. Some solid offensive ones available. Let’s just sign Deangelo 😂

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
This is why I want them to go for a d man in the first round. Some solid offensive ones available. Let’s just sign Deangelo 😂

If you draft a defenceman where we are picking, it'll be ~5 years before they're likely to be a stable contributor. I'd still look to draft a talented one fairly early because there are some very good offensive one's like you mentioned, but I think the Stars should still make a trade for someone like Sanheim and take advantage of Fletcher.

And I wouldn't want Deangelo anywhere near this team.

Reactions: ZeHockeyFan

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
If you draft a defenceman where we are picking, it'll be ~5 years before they're likely to be a stable contributor. I'd still look to draft a talented one fairly early because there are some very good offensive one's like you mentioned, but I think the Stars should still make a trade for someone like Sanheim and take advantage of Fletcher.

And I wouldn't want Deangelo anywhere near this team.
I know I was kidding about Tony.

Yeah it’ll take a d prospect 3-5 years. We will still need to add some solid d prospects. There are going to be a few around our spot that might be bpa. Will be an interesting draft.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Pavelski is unlikely to play for another franchise again . ( maybe a deadline deal at some point if thats what he wants ) I think he retires in a Stars uniform now. He'll continue to sign 1 year deals until he retires and with how good he's been there was no reason to not re-sign him. He's been the Stars best forward in the playoffs as well. We also know he works well with young players so there is no problem there. Good mentor for young players coming in doesn't hurt in a transition period.
I would say that’s the problem. If you recognize you aren’t competing for a cup next year he’s going to drag this team kicking and screaming out of being bad and into mediocrity. Again, we’ll see what they have up their sleeve. Maybe this is the year they dip into their assets and unload some cap and make some moves in free agency.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I would say that’s the problem. If you recognize you aren’t competing for a cup next year he’s going to drag this team kicking and screaming out of being bad and into mediocrity. Again, we’ll see what they have up their sleeve. Maybe this is the year they dip into their assets and unload some cap and make some moves in free agency.

Dunno with all the forward prospects coming in a mentor like guy like Pavelski is good . Just listen to how glowing especially the younger players talk about him.

I wish Benn and Seguin could fill that role but they're not that type of characters and they're also too washed especially Benn. Benn was allways the type who leads by example and doesn't talk much and now he no longer good enough for that.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Dunno with all the forward prospects coming in a mentor like guy like Pavelski is good . Just listen to how glowing especially the younger players talk about him.

I wish Benn and Seguin could fill that role but they're not that type of characters and they're also too washed especially Benn. Benn was allways the type who leads by example and doesn't talk much and now he no longer good enough for that.
Oh I agree- I’m very tempted to say the benefits outweigh the cost. I’m more concerned about the organizations ability to shit or get off the pot. Again, this wasn’t their year- so be it. Surprise me, Nill.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad

I don't mind the idea of trading him for a really good RD if you think someone like Johnston will come in and be ready next year. But there's too much parity and unpredictability to say a team won't be a contender. Even the favorites being knocked out right away isn't surprising. And the team that beat them winning it all isn't that surprising. A couple of offensive moves would probably make the team a contender. A bit more offense right now would have made them a contender now.

It would be nice to have a long-term plan over patching holes I guess.

Really I'm not disagreeing, I just think it's funny than the way people phrase things about contenders and (you're not saying this) people being shocked when anything happens team-wise in the NHL. It's like they never have watched or they just expect it to be like other leagues/sports that don't have so much parity.

Rompane

Jan 16, 2021
It would suck to lose Hintz because team has two over 9m guys who cant crack 50 points in full season. Also if you look future in the most important position: Center. I can say there is so many guys who have banged points in canada junior leagues like Johnston and did not have anything to say in NHL, so he is not sure bet yet.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
I would wait a year to consider trading Hintz, see if he can go a whole season without getting hurt. Also see where the team is at with the young players, etc.(Hopefully we will agree with Nill that we like where we’re at).

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I don't think the Stars need to bottom out and get a top-3 pick to become contenders, but if there is a year to suck and load up on first round picks, it is next year. I'd say upwards of the top-5 (at least the top-3) are looking like better prospects than Shane Wright with Bedard seeming to be a McDavid tier prospect.

From my viewings, Cameron Allen is the best defensive prospect to come through the OHL in a long time as well.

Reactions: starsfan86
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad