Speculation: 2022 Off-Season | Dethroned: What next? - Part 2

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Getting Smashmouth is kind of a meme, but they know the lead singer retired, right? Things went a little crazy in Oct 2021 leading up to that.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
In the 30th they added silver to the lightning bolt logo which makes it look more like the original logo.

UTPAFjo.png

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Rodrigues for 1 year, 2 million, and now Motte for 1 year, 1.35. Perhaps being a little patient and not rushing the Namestnikov signing day 1 could've been a better course of action, given how little cap space the team has to work with. Motte for sure had been a player they were interested in, and saving over a million would've also allowed the team to not have to risk a guy to waivers once Cirelli and Bogo return from ltir.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Rodrigues for 1 year, 2 million, and now Motte for 1 year, 1.35. Perhaps being a little patient and not rushing the Namestnikov signing day 1 could've been a better course of action, given how little cap space the team has to work with. Motte for sure had been a player they were interested in, and saving over a million would've also allowed the team to not have to risk a guy to waivers once Cirelli and Bogo return from ltir.
I’m so disappointed at Motte’s contract. I’ve probably been the most vocal about my disappointment in not signing him. That contract is damn near perfect for us. Rodrigues kind of is the nail in coffin contract for me hating Nammy this year.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I’m so disappointed at Motte’s contract. I’ve probably been the most vocal about my disappointment in not signing him. That contract is damn near perfect for us. Rodrigues kind of is the nail in coffin contract for me hating Nammy this year.
Not Vlad’s fault that JBB rushed his off-season transactions to get back on the golf course.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Yeah, rushing to sign a more one dimensional middle 6 w in Names rather than waiting and trying for a more versatile(and cheaper) player in either Rodrigues or Motte seems questionable at best.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
motte is a bottom six player idk what we need him for. Could still have probably fit him in even with the namestnikov signing.

Rodrigues you can make the argument for but he had one good year who knows how he is gonna do

Reactions: Hoek

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
motte is a bottom six player idk what we need him for. Could still have probably fit him in even with the namestnikov signing.

Rodrigues you can make the argument for but he had one good year who knows how he is gonna do
Because Names is also a bottom 6 player when everyone is healthy, is bad defensively, nothing that special on offense and cost more? Unless they were sending Myers down, with a lock of someone claiming him, or they were trading him somewhere, they could have not have fit Motte in on top of Names. They will already be ~300k over once Cirelli and Bogo return, so with Motte as well they'd have to move between 1.65 and 1.7 when they came back, or if they didn't include one of ABB, Koepke etc to start the season because of Motte in this hypothetical example, still would have to send the extra dman(Fleury I guess) through waivers to then be compliant.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
It's just baffling because Names shouldn't be in the top 6 over Hagel or Colton, and he's basically worthless in a 3rd line checking rile, where someone like Motte(and to a lesser degree Rodrigues) would have fit much better. So now it's are they going to try and force Names into a top 6 role and waste a player with better top 6 upside in Colton or Hagel on the 3rd, or are they going to hope Names can add some scoring touch on the 3rd line while Paul and one of Killorn/Hagel/Colton can be more shutdown 2 way players? Once Cirelli is back, I'd try
Hagel-Point-Kuch
Colton-Cirelli-Stamkos
Killorn-Paul-Names
4th line
If they want to swap Hagel and Colton that's fine as well, or perhaps move Stammer to 2C, Cirelli to 3C and Paul/Killorn up to the 2nd line.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Repeating what looks like the consensus thought, the Names signing was crap and gets crappier as the offseason progresses

Luckily it’s just one year, but yeah

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
can’t wait to see everyone’s reaction when namestnikov starts the year on the top line :popcorn:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
can’t wait to see everyone’s reaction when namestnikov starts the year on the top line :popcorn:

Probably the same reaction as now, when they signed him I fully anticipated that they would try and use him to replace Palat despite the fact he hasn’t scored over 31 points since leaving

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Probably the same reaction as now, when they signed him I fully anticipated that they would try and use him to replace Palat despite the fact he hasn’t scored over 31 points since leaving
That's the main problem I have with it as well. He hasn't shown to be a reliable top 6 offensive threat anywhere else on the last 4 years, and he's not good defensively or on the pk. If they try and fit him on line 1 and he still can't be more than a 35-40 point player, what was the point when both Hagel and Colton were already there to take the spot. Since you know Cooper isn't dropping his last boy Killorn to the 3rd line, either Names is wedged into a top 6 role(which he hasn't really shown he can handle since leaving), or a 3rd line role, which also isn't his game at all. Hagel then gets sent back to a 3rd line role, which he was okay doing but not where he can help the most. If they had just been patient and looked for an actual bottom 6 role player, like a Motte, they probably could have found them a little later in FA(and cheaper more than likely). Hope Names can prove me wrong, but I won't be betting on it.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad