Speculation: 2022 Off-Season | Dethroned: What next? - Part 2

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I still think there's more to us negotiating with Rutta that goes beyond our current RHD depth. Don't want to get too in depth because I don't have specific information and I don't want to commit libel. I just know there's more news on the way re: Hockey Canada that could impact the offseason for the entire league.

But even if we keep all 5 guys, doesn't take much to trade Foote or waive Bogosian. Hard to walk away from Rutta's chemistry with Hedman and the value he's given us the last few years.

EDIT: I missed this:

Last edited:

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I wonder how Ryan Graves would look here. How was he last year in NJ? Has 1 more year left at $3.16M. Pretty similar blocked shots per game, similar numbers to McDonagh. Wonder what NJ would want? I wonder if Killorn would waive for NJ?

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
Mitchell Stephens not being qualified by Detroit. Been having injury issues but wonder if worth bringing him back for Syracuse.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I still think there's more to us negotiating with Rutta that goes beyond our current RHD depth. Don't want to get too in depth because I don't have specific information and I don't want to commit libel. I just know there's more news on the way re: Hockey Canada that could impact the offseason for the entire league.

But even if we keep all 5 guys, doesn't take much to trade Foote or waive Bogosian. Hard to walk away from Rutta's chemistry with Hedman and the value he's given us the last few years.

EDIT: I missed this:

That team had A LOT of Lightning organization players on it too. God help the world if Makar had taken part in that. Boy woulda been big cancelled

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
A lot of young players bought out or not qualified. There might be some cheap talent with untapped potential there. Will be interesting to see if anyone of those is on JBB's radar.

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
Since JBB isn't buying out Myers and we can't realistically sign anyone, since it would have to be a 1 or 2 year deal this is the team we get next year. Idk who they call up for LD, but JBB wants the cap space for next season to re-sign players and thats it. I think he probably tried for a big splash at the TDL for a playoff run and thats about it.
JBB is gonna do something.

It's in this thread somewhere, but Joe Smith predicted a $2million pay raise for Cernak, $400K for Cirelli, and $1.5mil for Sergachev. That totals about $4million into the cap next year. And we'll round up another $500K just so it matches up with Killorn's cap that will come off the books. So all that basically cancels out for next year and we're back to square one, minus Killer.

Then after next year we have another $4.5 million coming off the books with Perry, PEB, and Myers (if he isn't bought out tonight). And maybe another 750K if ABB can't find his spot. Colton, Foote, and Myers (if he earns his keep) will be RFA's needing new deals. Can easily re-sign those guys with that money if the team wants to keep them and still have some left over to fill out the rest of the roster with league minimum vets or youngsters on ELCs.

JBB has more than enough wiggle room imo to keep the RFAs and still keep the roster good enough for another cup run. Of course, that's all assuming Smith is in the ballpark about the Big 3 RFAs new deals.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
JBB is gonna do something.

It's in this thread somewhere, but Joe Smith predicted a $2million pay raise for Cernak, $400K for Cirelli, and $1.5mil for Sergachev. That totals about $4million into the cap next year. And we'll round up another $500K just so it matches up with Killorn's cap that will come off the books. So all that basically cancels out for next year and we're back to square one, minus Killer.

Then after next year we have another $4.5 million coming off the books with Perry, PEB, and Myers (if he isn't bought out tonight). And maybe another 750K if ABB can't find his spot. Colton, Foote, and Myers (if he earns his keep) will be RFA's needing new deals. Can easily re-sign those guys with that money if the team wants to keep them and still have some left over to fill out the rest of the roster with league minimum vets or youngsters on ELCs.

JBB has more than enough wiggle room imo to keep the RFAs and still keep the roster good enough for another cup run. Of course, that's all assuming Smith is in the ballpark about the Big 3 RFAs new deals.
I'm having a hard time being optimistic about next year. Toronto and NYR gave us a run for our money WITH McDonagh, Palat, Rutta (and Point for the Toronto series). Both of those teams I see on the up and up. I can't help but see the Bolts on a bit of a downswing with losing McDonagh and possibly Rutta/Palat.

I just don't see how we can be as good as we were last year with cheap fill-ins. Regardless of declining play, McDonagh was a HUGE part of our defensive makeup and logged a shit load of minutes. Rutta and Palat were both proven winners that you can go all the way with.

The only way I see us not sinking below teams Like TOR and NYR is if we make a huge splash through trade for a gnarly forward like Kane or Tarasenko. Just don't see that happening.

I'm guessing JBB is gonna patch the holes with cheap replacement in FA, see how it goes in the first half and MAYBE try to get something done at the deadline.

Am I off here?

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
I'm having a hard time being optimistic about next year. Toronto and NYR gave us a run for our money WITH McDonagh, Palat, Rutta (and Point for the Toronto series). Both of those teams I see on the up and up. I can't help but see the Bolts on a bit of a downswing with losing McDonagh and possibly Rutta/Palat.

I just don't see how we can be as good as we were last year with cheap fill-ins. Regardless of declining play, McDonagh was a HUGE part of our defensive makeup and logged a shit load of minutes. Rutta and Palat were both proven winners that you can go all the way with.

The only way I see us not sinking below teams Like TOR and NYR is if we make a huge splash through trade for a gnarly forwarfd like Kane or Tarasenko. Just don't see that happening.

I'm guessing JBB is gonna patch the holes with cheap replacement in FA, see how it goes in the first half and MAYBE try to get something done at the deadline.

Am I off here?
According to all the reports patrick Kane destination is the new york rangers bc you know they need him 🙄

Reactions: Stammertime91

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
According to all the reports patrick Kane destination is the new york rangers bc you know they need him 🙄
Not sure if Kane will land there, but I fully expect the Rags to make a big move to improve their offense. And i think they'll be a lot better team for it too.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Drouin for a signed Sergachev jersey and photo of him raising the cup :sarcasm:

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013

The only way I see us not sinking below teams Like TOR and NYR is if we make a huge splash through trade for a gnarly forward like Kane or Tarasenko. Just don't see that happening.

Am I off here?
Trust JBB. I think he'll find a cheap and GOOD LHD option to replace some of the McD minutes.

And maybe I have it backwards and he'll put most of the available cap space/resources to find that dman (instead of a winger) replacement and then go bargain bin shopping on wingers and let Colton, Hagel, and a UFA/trade fight it out for Palat's spot. He has a lot of options, and that's not even mentioning he may have his eyes on the trade market for possible replacements. I'd be shocked if we're not in a lot of rumors tomorrow.

Toronto is good, no doubt. Biggest threat in the East by far. And the Rangers, as is, just aren't much of a threat to me. Now that could change depending what moves they make this offseason and guys like Kakko, Lafrienere (however you spell it) actually take that next step and play like top overall picks. But they were literally Shesterkin and a good powerplay last year. Nothing else redeeming about that team. They go out in a whimper last year if Pittsburgh isn't down to Louis Domingue in net.

TampaBoltz

Oct 26, 2015
Any chance JBB is pondering trading Cirelli ? He’s never had 20 goals, coming off surgery, and might bring a good return. It would enable us to get a more skilled offensive player, and fill his role with a high motor defensive minded player. They are easier to find and less expensive. Looking at our line projections for next year, we may have to do something drastic

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Any chance JBB is pondering trading Cirelli ? He’s never had 20 goals, coming off surgery, and might bring a good return. It would enable us to get a more skilled offensive player, and fill his role with a high motor defensive minded player. They are easier to find and less expensive. Looking at our line projections for next year, we may have to do something drastic
With Paul resigning, I know people say Cirelli is elite defensively and that may be true, but you don't need a Selke level guy as your 2/3c to win a cup. With that said, running Point/Stamkos/Paul as your centers is pretty good.

I know the board recognizes age, defense, etc for him and his importance but if there's one guy that could bring in some assets and alleviate a few mil at the same time, it's him. The move would be winger for Cirelli.

I'll keep beating that drum til we bring in another legit top 6 guy.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Id be okay with moving Celery if it brought in a young dman and a young forward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad