Speculation: 2022 Off-Season | Dethroned: What next? - Part 2

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Motte wouldn't be a bad addition, especially if they could get him for 3 years around 1.75. The team was definitely interested in him at last year's tdl before going for Paul. He'd be a solid middle to bottom 6 F, especially as guys like Perry and Bellemare may leave after this upcoming season. While Cirelli and Bogo are on ltir it wouldn't be an issue, but when they come back it would mean that Myers would have to go. Since they seem to feel pretty strongly about Myers, it likely won't happen,.but he's definitely not a bad addition.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Motte wouldn't be a bad addition, especially if they could get him for 3 years around 1.75. The team was definitely interested in him at last year's tdl before going for Paul. He'd be a solid middle to bottom 6 F, especially as guys like Perry and Bellemare may leave after this upcoming season. While Cirelli and Bogo are on ltir it wouldn't be an issue, but when they come back it would mean that Myers would have to go. Since they seem to feel pretty strongly about Myers, it likely won't happen,.but he's definitely not a bad addition.
Yeah, its just not possible. Which is a shame. I really like Motte and his game. Unless we completely decide before the start of the season that we are going to give up on the TDL and improving, We could try to grab another 1 year LTIRetired contract before the beginning of the season, to try to fit him in and have enough space to not have to put ABB through waivers when Cirelli and Bogo come back.

Ferland might be able to be had for cheap because, I didn't confirm this, his contract isn't insured. Would put the team at $10.375M in LTIRetired contracts, plus $5.65M with Cirelli and Bogo. Not quite $18M over the cap but close.

Like I said though, we would give up on TDL improvements.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
He made like $1.25M last year and he's 27. A 3 year deal at like $1.75M or so playing our bottom 6 would be great value IMO. He would not be an anchor that we would we regret giving him multiple years.
Back in March, Motte wanted over 2 mil a year.

He also seemed to draw a lot of interest from good teams before his trade, so he has justification to stick with asking for more.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Back in March, Motte wanted over 2 mil a year.

Market is different today, and as the clock ticks, desperation can set in easier.

11 teams over the cap (LTIR included)
6 teams with less than $2M in cap space.

Over half the league is ass against the cap already. And from the only ones who could fit $2M+ that are playoff teams are:

Colorado
Minnesota
Nashville
Calgary
Boston (?)

Unless he wants to go to a non playoff team on a 1 year deal for the money he wants? I guess it comes down to what he wants, money now and doesn't care about the future (understandable since his career earnings are pretty low), or try to win somewhere for another year or 2 and miss out on a pay day? I can see him picking the former, but like I said, pipe dream for me.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Yeah, its just not possible. Which is a shame. I really like Motte and his game. Unless we completely decide before the start of the season that we are going to give up on the TDL and improving, We could try to grab another 1 year LTIRetired contract before the beginning of the season, to try to fit him in and have enough space to not have to put ABB through waivers when Cirelli and Bogo come back.

Ferland might be able to be had for cheap because, I didn't confirm this, his contract isn't insured. Would put the team at $10.375M in LTIRetired contracts, plus $5.65M with Cirelli and Bogo. Not quite $18M over the cap but close.

Like I said though, we would give up on TDL improvements.
Yeah, only thing I would mention is whether they add more ltir space or not, the tdl this year basically remains the same as last year. Since they won't accrue any cap space with Seabrook's ltir, it's basically cap in, cap out on each again. Motte just seems like a good fit, if he'd agree to at least a 2 year deal under 2 million. Given the very tight cap situation after this season, contracts ljke that will be needed. I think if he was going to get over 2 million aav, he'd have signed already. His injury history is concerning, but still the kind of 3rd/4th liner that would seem to fit here.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It is what it is. COVID and the ensuing flat cap hurt as more than most given where we were in the contention cycle when it occurred. Same way, as you said, the 2005 lockout and ensuing salary cap implementation screwed us then after a Cup win. Rotten luck with this stuff I guess. But that's the way it goes.
Kind of weird to talk about rotten luck after 2 cups in a row and 2 OTs from a third, lol.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Kind of weird to talk about rotten luck after 2 cups in a row and 2 OTs from a third, lol.

Completely agree in general but I'm talking only in the context of salary cap stuff, of course. We might've been able to avoid such a talent exodus over time if COVID hadn't frozen the salary cap, but COVID did freeze the salary cap and the extra space we anticipated back in early 2020 disappeared with it.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
I'm starting to believe the Panthers are just goofy like this. It feels like whenever they get a solid foundation they take a wild left turn into the wilderness.
Its the Miami way, i.e Marlins, Dolphins. It’s a terrible sports city outside of the Heat and even predictable that they would do something like this.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Minnesota among the many teams interested in him and will probably land him so he doesnt have to go far and they have open spots ready for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad