Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
upload_2022-1-26_23-57-50.png

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

2022 Draft Profile: LW Ivan Miroshnichenko
Scouting Report

Skating and Stickhandling

If skating is to be judged on areas such as top speed, acceleration, balance, and agility, then Miroshnichenko certainly belongs in the conversation for best skater in the draft. And that doesn’t mean relative to his size or position, as in, he’s the best-skating power forward available. Simply put, Miroshnichenko is a superior skater, one with an explosive gear that is exactly that — explosive. He continues to trouble defensemen off the rush, and often it will require a double team to remove Miroshnichenko completely from the puck. Defenders in 1-on-1 situations must make textbook plays to stop him or run the risk of being posterized. Their slightest hesitation or lunge instantly tips the scales in Miroshnichenko’s favor, and he’ll gladly exploit any open lane to the net. Breakaways or odd-man rushes involving him are commonplace, and opponents who can actually keep pace are then subjected to Miroshnichenko’s superior puck protection via stiff shoulders and a series of close-quarter escape moves. He also is a poised puck possessor and distributor from the wall, using bank or touch passes to transition his line into their cycle.

Shooting, Passing and Playmaking
Miroshnichenko has delivered more than a fair share of pretty passes, and in big moments no less. But what he really loves to do is shoot the puck, and shoot it he most certainly will. Playing on a top line with a trigger-happy winger such as Dmitry Sokolov doesn’t guarantee Miroshnichenko will get the premium looks every shift. But he’s perfecting his ability to create shots for himself, such as screen shots through legs in one-on-one situations, and also sneaking into high-danger areas for first dibs on a juicy rebound without the threat of harassment. This could explain an uptick in his shot generation to nearly four shots a game during a lengthy midseason stretch.

Miroshnichenko’s slapper is a legitimate threat that he’ll use from the circle or off the rush. As a right shot playing the left wing, Miroshnichenko also gets to show off his bulldozing skills when he takes the puck to the net on his backhand. He usually sticks to the shortest routes possible regardless of whether he’s checked or not, and Miroshnichenko is agile enough to stop short of the goal on his heels before executing for a nifty fake for a tuck-in attempt. He’s also a dangler who is effective in shootouts and has beaten goalies with a variety of moves from different shooting angles.

Defense and Physicality
Intimidation, whether intended or simply by circumstance, can play a critical role in Miroshnichenko’s ability to take over a game. He can be a menacing hitter in open ice, and few draft prospects, if any, will finish their checks with as much authority. Although Miroshnichenko doesn’t kill penalties at the VHL level, he is a physical nuisance on the forecheck, which is when you really get to see the panic he causes for opposing defenseman. Using a combination of speed and anticipation, Miroshnichenko will either pressure a defender behind his net or violently interdict him before the zone is excited. The downside to this sort of “high-motor effort” is that it can burn Miroshnichenko out for the second halves of shifts, which then results in longer stretches of standing around and puck watching. Still, Miroshnichenko definitely plays with purpose and is one of Omskie Krylia’s hardest workers on any given night.

Hockey Sense
Being imaginative and poised during pressure situations are behaviors more common with today’s larger forwards than in previous generations, so it shouldn’t be at all surprising seeing this thick 6-foot-1, 185-pound winger dangle a defenseman or saucer backhanders across the seam. Miroshnichenko’s overall decision making involves 360-degree vision, timely reads, keen anticipation, proper positioning, and timing plays; all advanced enough to not only drive his own line but also establish a standard any teammate should follow. He consistently finds seams, opens lanes, threads needles, and picks corners. Breakaway opportunities are frequent, and they don’t happen simply by chance. Miroshnichenko, who easily manipulated the less-structured defenses in junior hockey, now outfoxes mature veteran blueliners who are late to sense the possession change.

Reactions: Cosmix

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Well after seeing Norris go down, I started really looking at the draft ...

Yurov. Really want Yurov. 200ft scoring first line RW. Yes. Please.

Just the read up on this kid looks amazing.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Well after seeing Norris go down, I started really looking at the draft ...

Yurov. Really want Yurov. 200ft scoring first line RW. Yes. Please.

Just the read up on this kid looks amazing.

Agreed. I'm a huge Yurov fan, and he's as much of a Sens-type of pick as you'll find in the top 10 of this draft (minus the Russian thing). Reminds me a lot of Vladimir Tarasenko. Bit more of a playmaker than a goalscorer compared to Tarasenko, but just a tank of a kid with high-end smarts and pretty good skills. He seems to never lose a board battle at the junior level, even when it looks like he doesn't have much chance; if its 50-50 forget about it.

He and Svechkov were joined at the hip last year at every international competition, and the hockey IQ between them was off the charts. I can't find the clips at the moment, but I posted elsewhere give-and-go plays, one against Simon Edvinsson and one against Brandt Clarke where they simply made those top ten picks look stupid (I'll have a look for them later).

He also celebrates scoring goals by looking like his dog just died. Such a pro, he's just ready to get back to work. The only downside I can see is he maybe doesn't have the absolute highest offensive upside in the draft. Like Tarasenko, he'll probably be on that precipice between all-star and not quite superstar, 60-75 points every year kinda player.

Reactions: HSF

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm hoping for us to be around 5th to 10th & take one of the two RD in Nemec or Jiricek (my pick). IMO Ottawa needs another very good defenceman besides Jake Sanderson over on the right side to solidify this defence long term & Jiricek or Nemec could be that guy. A defenceman is probably a greater need than a foreward at this point.

Jiricek has the size & skating to be a very good two way defenceman who could play in all situations including on the PP or the PK. I like the two RD we have now in Thomson & JBD but a 3rd who could end up better than both of them is what is needed IMO.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'm hoping for us to be around 5th to 10th & take one of the two RD in Nemec or Jiricek (my pick). IMO Ottawa needs another very good defenceman besides Jake Sanderson over on the right side to solidify this defence long term & Jiricek or Nemec could be that guy. A defenceman is probably a greater need than a foreward at this point.

Jiricek has the size & skating to be a very good two way defenceman who could play in all situations including on the PP or the PK. I like the two RD we have now in Thomson & JBD but a 3rd who could end up better than both of them is what is needed IMO.

I too would prefer to draft one of those two. They have top 5 skill.

Getting Wright/Slaf/Kemell/Cooley(possibly Lamb/Miro too) could be final piece on offense too, a game breaking piece that is actually harder to find it seems. On defense, Thomson and JBD could serve as great complementaries to JS and TC.

Reactions: aragorn

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
He and Svechkov were joined at the hip last year at every international competition, and the hockey IQ between them was off the charts. I can't find the clips at the moment, but I posted elsewhere give-and-go plays, one against Simon Edvinsson and one against Brandt Clarke where they simply made those top ten picks look stupid (I'll have a look for them later).

Well I can't find the Clarke clip from U18s because YouTube says the video is private now. But here is the one against Edvinsson, at 1:17:30:

WU17: RUS 5 – SWE 4 (Preliminary)

Not sure what Edvinsson was thinking there, but that goal has always stood out to me as that was the first game I saw all three of those guys (Edvinsson, Yurov, Svechkov). Ever since I've been suspicious of Edvinsson's defensive game and have been a huge fan of both Yurov and Svechkov.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Shane Wright has woken

watch out

As I've been saying, he's just a little behind on his development because missed the entire season last year. Makes perfect sense why he was able to so dominate U18s but struggled more against older, more experienced players in WHL. Kind of the opposite of Dylan Guenther, who was able to dominate WHL so young because he plays such an intelligent, mature game, but struggled at U18s because not as purely skilled.

Wright as 1st overall has never been in serious doubt in my eyes.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
As I've been saying, he's just a little behind on his development because missed the entire season last year. Makes perfect sense why he was able to so dominate U18s but struggled more against older, more experienced players in WHL. Kind of the opposite of Dylan Guenther, who was able to dominate WHL so young because he plays such an intelligent, mature game, but struggled at U18s because not as purely skilled.

Wright as 1st overall has never been in serious doubt in my eyes.

I watched him closely last week... yea, lol, the guy is easily number 1 and can still explode on to the scene as a top 5-10 C in the league in a few years. His skating alone is just beautifully mesmerizing. Protects the puck like Crosby.

Look no further than 1:35:

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I would be over the moon if we had the chance to take David Goyette from the Wolves in the 2nd. Kids going to make some team very happy one day, and will get picked way later than he should have in retrospect. Hes got major Claude Giroux vibes going for himself, imo.

If not for his size I would say that hes a textbook Senators pick. Hes young (playing his first year of junior) and a fast rising late bloomer. Hes extremely raw in all areas - but has massive oozing potential in all of those areas at the same time. Hes involved in all 3 zones and a relentless worker, and a gifted skater. And a line driver offensively - dual threat to score or pass with elite vision, but not in a "fancy" way...

My guess is that he doesnt make it out of the 1st round though, some team picking later in the 1st will see the upside, and players with bigger numbers will be leapfrogged.

And its honestly not hard to see that hes the kind of prospect that has a huge amount of runway, and will almost surely be a better pro than he was a rookie OHLer (ie his draft year - and only had a grand total of 4 minor games played the year before due to covid). And even having said that, hes still dominating by most metrics, and surprisingly the Wolves best player all season.

Rven before Stillman (29th in 2020) got traded - Goyette was on another level from the get go. And clearly a higher caliber player considering age.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad