OHL35202747
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Dumais 5'9 165 currently looking like a 3rd round pick
2021-22
3.png
Halifax Mooseheads
QMJHL30163147
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

These kids look like they are worth a look outside the 1st.
Ottawa Senators Draftpicks | Puckpedia

Last edited:
Reactions: edguy

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Should we consider trading the top 10 pick for someone in the 21-26 age range? If the goal is to compete over the next 4 years...

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

Del Bel Belluz 6'1 180 LC is looking like a 2nd round pick
2021-22
3.png
Mississauga Steelheads
OHL35202747
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Dumais 5'9 165 currently looking like a 3rd round pick
2021-22
3.png
Halifax Mooseheads
QMJHL30163147
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
These kids look like they are worth a look outside the 1st.
Ottawa Senators Draftpicks | Puckpedia

Love seeing Dumais hype. The fact he is that integral to teams production on a team with Desnoyers, L'Heroux, Orr etc... is absolutely telling. The guy just makes stuff happen.

Should we consider trading the top 10 pick for someone in the 21-26 age range? If the goal is to compete over the next 4 years...

I would not. Take the other piece and develop them. Someone off their ELC will cost more first, possibly forcing us to not be able to keep someone else. Lets just face the facts, we are a budget team and need the ELC on our team when we go to compete

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I wouldn't trade a top 5 pick. If its 8-10 absolutely... I wonder if we can pry Keller from Arizona

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
We need strong wingers alongside Stutz. Marner and Keller don't do it for me.

Somebody like Herlt or Forsberg. Likely unrealistic. Giroux is perfect, my God.

Someone mentioned JVR and that would be really good short-term option, imo. Could be had for pennies on the dollar, and bounce back here.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Super interesting how divisive this prospect is. You're probably the person here whose opinion I most trust on prospects (lol I took Eklund 1st overall in my fantasy league based partly on your assessment), but I think you're outta your mind on this one. Apparently on Bob's list he was the only one other than Wright who got a first overall vote, but was also the only one in the top ten ranked outside the first round by one scout.

To be honest, the whole draft seems pretty divisive. I'm interested to see how it all plays out.

He has some good tools, but I don't like his hockey IQ, so that is why he is a bit lower on my rankings than other rankings. I would not have him outside the first round, though. He is easily in the middle range for me, and I think he could realistically push as high as #7 on my list. I don't see him passing Cooley, Jiricek, Kemell, Nemec, Savoie, or Wright.

Reactions: MatchesMalone

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yea I thought last year was underrated too, especially the top. Seems like hockey is getting more skilled every year.
Brock Otten seems to think it's pretty weak. Doesn't feel elite to me based on what I've seen. Without the WJC it's tough for regular people like us to get many quality views of the top guys.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Brock Otten seems to think it's pretty weak. Doesn't feel elite to me based on what I've seen. Without the WJC it's tough for regular people like us to get many quality views of the top guys.

Brock Otten follows the OHL mostly right? OHL prospects got maybe the biggest hit in development time so i wonder how that influences Brocks analysis on the draft as a whole.

It's not going to be 2015 or 2023 but I think it's going to be a solid draft. Lots of really skilled players whose weaknesses can be improved upon. Solid is pretty underrated.

@HSF brought up 2011 and i agree with him, remember how that draft was perceived as weak during and after because it had no real elite talent? but basically the entire top 10 became core/star players. And it even had guys like Kucherov and Gaudreau emerge outside of the 1st round.

In this draft you have a guy like Nazar who might not got top 15 but who has a ridiculous level of vision, creativity and hands. He improves on his athleticism and maybe he becomes the Kucherov/Gaudreau of this draft? I find this draft very intriguing.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Brock Otten follows the OHL mostly right? OHL prospects got maybe the biggest hit in development time so i wonder how that influences Brocks analysis on the draft as a whole.

It's not going to be 2015 or 2023 but I think it's going to be a solid draft. Lots of really skilled players whose weaknesses can be improved upon. Solid is pretty underrated.

@HSF brought up 2011 and i agree with him, remember how that draft was perceived as weak during and after because it had no real elite talent? but basically the entire top 10 became core/star players. And it even had guys like Kucherov and Gaudreau emerge outside of the 1st round.

In this draft you have a guy like Nazar who might not got top 15 but who has a ridiculous level of vision, creativity and hands. He improves on his athleticism and maybe he becomes the Kucherov/Gaudreau of this draft? I find this draft very intriguing.
Otten is the director at Mckeens, he has a full draft analysis on the prospect board I'd encourage you to read it and the thread. In my opinion he is the most fair and balanced scout I have encountered on HF. I don't think there is any bias at all. He certainly knows the OHL very well. In 2020 his breakdowns were spot on. I followed the draft very closely that year for two reasons the sens had all those picks and I was locked down at home for close to 40 days and my job stopped. Looking back at his projections now he seems to really have nailed it. I like him because he is more than willing to debate with posters and admit when he has made mistakes.

Relative to other leagues its actually a pretty strong year for the OHL. McKenzie had 24 prospects from the OHL in the top 100. Otten feels there isn't alot of high end talent but what could make take this from being a below average draft to average is it should produce a decent amount of NHLers. From what I have seen I agree I don't see many stars.

Last edited:
Reactions: Agent Zub

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
How does Slafkovsky's game compare to say Rantanen?

A future second line of Slafkovsky-Stutzle-Greig is something I'm pondering if that's a good fit.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I could see Cutter Gauthier being a guy the Sens are very high on based on the emphasis they put on tools (particularly size and speed) in the 2021 draft.

If we finish the year like last year and go from picking top 5 to around 10, could be a potential target.

Reactions: aragorn

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I could see Cutter Gauthier being a guy the Sens are very high on based on the emphasis they put on tools (particularly size and speed) in the 2021 draft.

If we finish the year like last year and go from picking top 5 to around 10, could be a potential target.
Yeah I could see that. He does seem to fit the style of play the Sens like.

2022 Draft Profile: LW Cutter Gauthier
Scouting Report
Skating and Stickhandling

Gauthier is a excellent skater in many areas, and his combination of power-forward size with breakaway speed makes him a bit of a unicorn among his 2022 draft-eligible peers. Although he’s prone to go through periods of standing around, Gauthier does show a quick first step and long, powerful stride that helps him accelerate into open ice and well past backskating defenders. Much like teammates Logan Cooley and Frank Nazar III, Gauthier’s button-hooks at the line are pronounced, and he shows patience when waiting for support to arrive.

Gauthier is a tough out who can dominate board play in several ways. Not only is he an elite stickhandler, but he’s proven time and again to be a threat coming out from the corner. He’s agile in every direction and is difficult to knock off balance, especially when he’s on his edges while taking the puck strong to the net on the backhand. His deft stickhandling when static or mobile plays a critical role in his shot generation, and it’s common to see Gauthier play keep-away by using a series of inside-out moves while keeping the puck on a string. And he seems close to perfecting a one-arm chip or lead pass to himself in 1-on-1 situations that could cause defenders to regret playing the man instead of the puck.

Shooting, Passing and Playmaking
Gauthier is a dual threat whose flash and flair are neither forced nor untimely. He creates highlight-reel plays without the benefit of time or space, and opponents have to respect his dangerous 1-on-1 abilities. An inside player who attacks the net with confidence, Gauthier can serve as either a sniping winger or a pass-first playmaker. His wrist shot is a difference maker from any angle and he’s hit the post or forced the goalie into a tough save with blistering attempts from the left circle. Gauthier is used in a manner of ways on the NTDP’s deadly power play and will fill any role with confidence and reliability, to include the net-front and bumper positions. He’s also dipped into his passing arsenal with more frequency, as several of his primary assists came off precision seam passes from either his forehand or backhand.

Defense and Physicality
Gauthier is a hard-hitting winger who can impact shifts in all three zones. He’ll deliver loud hits along the boards and will let an opponent pay a hefty price for going toe to toe with him. A testament to Gauthier’s reliability off the puck is his occasional use and effectiveness on the penalty kill, including serving as the lone forward in 5-on-3 disadvantages. He’s a dedicated backchecker who actively uses his stick and long reach to block passing lanes, and his desire to pressure the puck doesn’t prevent him from releasing or retreating to cover the back door or an opposing point man. Gauthier’s keen anticipation and quick hands leads to a handful of interceptions and immediate counterattacks per game.

Hockey Sense
Gauthier is a gifted player whose cerebral decision-making and outside-the-box thinking makes potentially untenable situations more promising for both him and his linemates. Although his game could use more shift-to-shift consistency, Gauthier is developing into the kind of forward who rarely settles for the easy wrong over the hard right, and his delay tactics at the opposing line reveal patience, maturity, and foresight. Gauthier is a creative puck handler who rarely telegraphs his intentions, and his high panic threshold when controlling the puck in tight areas or while moving at top speed off the rush extends possessions and keeps opponents pinned in their own end. He’ll attempt a risky play every now and again, but that seems par for the course for all notable NTDP forwards since the program’s inception.

Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
With tonight’s win we are now most likely to pick 7th overall.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
With Batherson and Gambrells injuries and the inevitable sickness that Murray comes down with I'm sure they'll be bottom 5.
I don’t know, there are some really bad teams behind us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad