NHL Entry Draft 2022 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Since I think Ott will end up outside the top 5 either due to their record or the lottery pushing them down, I like anyone from that list from the 5th to 10th OA. I also like 13th, 17th, 19th, 20th, 21st & 26th. David Jiricenk RD has been my choice for quite some time now since I think along with Sanderson will help solidify their defence for yrs.

I also like Devin Kaplan RW in the 2nd rd, he's got decent size at 6'3", 195 lbs, he can skate, handle the puck, score & pass. Could be a C. Brown replacement some day. Wouldn't surprise me if they use their multiple picks in the 2nd & 3rd rds plus a player/prospect (White/Brannstrom) to move into the late 1st if there is someone they want. Both Arz & Buff have 3 picks in the 1st rd & might look to move one of those late picks for the right package.

OHL Prospect Profile: Devin Kaplan | Prospect Pipeline

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I really have to question the scouts takes on Wright being projected as a 2nd line centre. If he drops at all he is going to make teams that passed on him look absolutely stupid.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I've been seeing a lot of talk around here and elsewhere about this being a weak draft, and I just don't buy it. I believe this has everything to do with the lost season to covid. The draft still looks great out of Europe and USA, but the Canadian group looks underwhelming, and since Canadians always make up at least a third of the draft, that brings the overall depth down substantially. The thing is, everyone seems to have forgotten that many of the Canadian players lost an entire season of development to the shutdown, and almost all lost at least part of the season. Canadian prospects for the 2021 draft made special efforts to find places to play elsewhere, while the 2022s had to sit at home.

Wright is the prime example. With McKenzie's list just coming out and a lot of scouts questioning or at least wavering on Wright's spot at number one. He didn't play a single league game last year... For me he's still number one with a bullet.

Savoie made the jump to USHL last year so he's doing fine.

Personally, I have 4 Russians in my top 15 currently. I can't imagine that would be the case if Canadians had played last year. OHL was obviously hit the hardest, and top prospects from that league are trying to squeeze two seasons of development into one. I believe any of Pavel Mintyukov, Daniil Zhilkin, Luca Belluz and Owen Beck could still end up in consideration for the top 20 by the time of the draft.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I've been seeing a lot of talk around here and elsewhere about this being a weak draft, and I just don't buy it. I believe this has everything to do with the lost season to covid. The draft still looks great out of Europe and USA, but the Canadian group looks underwhelming, and since Canadians always make up at least a third of the draft, that brings the overall depth down substantially. The thing is, everyone seems to have forgotten that many of the Canadian players lost an entire season of development to the shutdown, and almost all lost at least part of the season. Canadian prospects for the 2021 draft made special efforts to find places to play elsewhere, while the 2022s had to sit at home.

Wright is the prime example. With McKenzie's list just coming out and a lot of scouts questioning or at least wavering on Wright's spot at number one. He didn't play a single league game last year... For me he's still number one with a bullet.

Savoie made the jump to USHL last year so he's doing fine.

Personally, I have 4 Russians in my top 15 currently. I can't imagine that would be the case if Canadians had played last year. OHL was obviously hit the hardest, and top prospects from that league are trying to squeeze two seasons of development into one. I believe any of Pavel Mintyukov, Daniil Zhilkin, Luca Belluz and Owen Beck could still end up in consideration for the top 20 by the time of the draft.
McKenzie had Gleb Trikozov ranked 64th so assuming that his ranking is fairly accurate there is a chance that the Sens could draft Miroshnichenko and Trikozov.

The Sens don't typically target Russian players playing in Russia but maybe that has changed. There are certainly some good ones in this draft. What are your thoughts on Kirill Dolzhenkov? He was ranked 71st by McKenzie and from what I've seen he looks intriguing. For a massive guy he seems like he has solid hockey iq and a decent skill set. With two 2nds and three 3rds he might be worth considering.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
VHL isn’t that tough. His production isn’t at the level of a first overall pick even factoring in league quality.

Lol it is a very strange post by Kournianos. He is equal to Perevalov and ranked 12, but if he was playing in a different league he'd be first. Huh? I saw BondraTime had a good post about this not long ago - how people act like it is impossible to assess players in weak leagues. Same would go for junior players in men's leagues. How about we just try to have a little confidence our evaluation abilities?

I still have Miro 2nd overall. Probably you'd still say based on production he doesn't deserve to be there either. For me it is based on what I've seen. Miro is at his best when he plays a hard-nosed north-south power forward game. As much of a brick shithouse as Miro is, it's gonna be tough for any 17 year old to do that against grown men and professional athletes at that.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
McKenzie had Gleb Trikozov ranked 64th so assuming that his ranking is fairly accurate there is a chance that the Sens could draft Miroshnichenko and Trikozov.

The Sens don't typically target Russian players playing in Russia but maybe that has changed. There are certainly some good ones in this draft. What are your thoughts on Kirill Dolzhenkov? He was ranked 71st by McKenzie and from what I've seen he looks intriguing. For a massive guy he seems like he has solid hockey iq and a decent skill set. With two 2nds and three 3rds he might be worth considering.

If Trikozov falls to 64th I will eat my hat. Lol I said something similar about Stranges his draft year, but there's a couple differences. Stranges was pretty much the pinnacle of circus sideshow players. Trikozov is the worst I've seen since Stranges, but not on the same level as Stranges. Also Stranges was 5'10. Trikozov is 6'1, 185 and is a bit of a steam engine. Not exactly a power forward, but at the junior level has a serious knack for getting cut off along the boards but lowering the shoulder and squeezing through. I'm fairly confident some team will see enough positives to take a chance by somewhere around the middle of the 2nd round.

Honestly don't think much about Dolzhenkov. Nothing against the player, but noticed him at YOGs for his size, and didn't notice much else.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Here's Trikozov checking. Two backchecks and "forecheck" (just wanted to show his skating).

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Since I think Ott will end up outside the top 5 either due to their record or the lottery pushing them down, I like anyone from that list from the 5th to 10th OA. I also like 13th, 17th, 19th, 20th, 21st & 26th. David Jiricenk RD has been my choice for quite some time now since I think along with Sanderson will help solidify their defence for yrs.

I also like Devin Kaplan RW in the 2nd rd, he's got decent size at 6'3", 195 lbs, he can skate, handle the puck, score & pass. Could be a C. Brown replacement some day. Wouldn't surprise me if they use their multiple picks in the 2nd & 3rd rds plus a player/prospect (White/Brannstrom) to move into the late 1st if there is someone they want. Both Arz & Buff have 3 picks in the 1st rd & might look to move one of those late picks for the right package.

OHL Prospect Profile: Devin Kaplan | Prospect Pipeline

Just my guess, but I'll go with Ottawa drafting in the 4th to 6th range overall range.

Last edited:

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
And finally some steals. All three from one VHL game early this year. He is wearing #8 in white now.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Cooley is one of the prospects I am keeping an eye on, and interested in. I will guess he will be gone before we get to the podium though.

I watched him a bit before WJC and even during WJC and one thing you notice about Cooley is his exceptional IQ for the game. He makes those reallllly subtle passes to the slot or on the breakout that makes you realize he is 1 step ahead of everyone else. He'll do a spinorama from the corner pass to the tape of a guy across the ice.

Legit skilled. AND he plays a pro game. If he was couple inches taller he's going number 1.

As long as we in top 7 we will walk away with excellent talent. Someone who has franchise capability.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Lol it is a very strange post by Kournianos. He is equal to Perevalov and ranked 12, but if he was playing in a different league he'd be first. Huh? I saw BondraTime had a good post about this not long ago - how people act like it is impossible to assess players in weak leagues. Same would go for junior players in men's leagues. How about we just try to have a little confidence our evaluation abilities?

I still have Miro 2nd overall. Probably you'd still say based on production he doesn't deserve to be there either. For me it is based on what I've seen. Miro is at his best when he plays a hard-nosed north-south power forward game. As much of a brick shithouse as Miro is, it's gonna be tough for any 17 year old to do that against grown men and professional athletes at that.

I would say that Miroshnichenko does not deserve to be ranked #2 from a statical point of view or my own eye-test. He isn't in the #2 conversation for me. I have him in the 10-14 range. Of course, he could move up as I see more.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
I would say that Miroshnichenko does not deserve to be ranked #2 from a statical point of view or my own eye-test. He isn't in the #2 conversation for me. I have him in the 10-14 range. Of course, he could move up as I see more.

Super interesting how divisive this prospect is. You're probably the person here whose opinion I most trust on prospects (lol I took Eklund 1st overall in my fantasy league based partly on your assessment), but I think you're outta your mind on this one. Apparently on Bob's list he was the only one other than Wright who got a first overall vote, but was also the only one in the top ten ranked outside the first round by one scout.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
When I watched Miro a couple years ago, I thought this guy was the next coming of a 40+ goal scoring physical phenom. He slowed down a bit(relative to how he was projecting statistically) but his skill is unquestioned. What we seeing from Miro is similar to what we saw from Raymond when he tried to play his game against men, something not manageable at his age and physique.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Just my guess, but I'll go with Ottawa drafting in the 4th to 6th range overall range.

Even in that range they could still take one of the two RD, it may be slightly early, but they would get who they want if that is indeed who they want. I think it's a need, but both are good enough to also be the BPA unless Cooley falls that far which I doubt, I think he goes 2nd OA after Wright.

It's an interesting draft since no one sees Wright as a generational player or even elite or superstar, but could turn into an NHL star. It kind of reminds me of when Patrick was selected by Philly 1st OA. If this is the best player in this draft, it stands to reason that everyone in the draft behind him is not as good, although someone always surprises & becomes better than a number of players selected before them. It's going to be interesting whatever happens & where we end up & who they think is the BPA. Regardless there will be those opposed & for the decision as always.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I really have to question the scouts takes on Wright being projected as a 2nd line centre. If he drops at all he is going to make teams that passed on him look absolutely stupid.

The way Wright has been playing has not convinced me that he is a top line centre.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The way Wright has been playing has not convinced me that he is a top line centre.
So many factors play into this season. I have seen enough from him previously to say he’s far and away my #1 prospect.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Mann only really drafts with us top 2 picks out of US-U18 and the WHL

Boucher (US U18)
Ostapapchuk (WHL)

jimmy (outer space hockey league)
Jake Sanderson (USU18)
Greig (WHL)

Thomson (WHL)
Pinto (USU18)

Brady (US - U18)
JBD (AJHL but western league player)