NHL Entry Draft 2022 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
At 6th last in points percentage lottery odds give us a 43% of picking 7th which is the highest likelihood
OK. Where does Seattle pick this year? Is it set? Is that effecting what you mentioned in your post?

Or is just taking into account that we could slip or move up because of the "lottery"?

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I watched him closely last week... yea, lol, the guy is easily number 1 and can still explode on to the scene as a top 5-10 C in the league in a few years. His skating alone is just beautifully mesmerizing. Protects the puck like Crosby.

Look no further than 1:35:

Oh man, yeah. Best comparison I've heard so far was to Steve Yzerman. Can see it a little in that clip at 1:35.

I remember following both Wright and Savoie from pretty young age just stat-watching on EP, and for a time I assumed Savoie was the better prospect. That was until I saw them both at U17s. Savoie looked sensational and really stood out with his speed and quickness, but also stood out by being physically overwhelmed and by making mistakes trying to force offense. As I've mentioned before, he started out on a line with Guenther and McTavish, but they ended up putting him on a line with Cole Sillinger to insulate him defensively (as Torts would put it, "to stay above the puck"). But Wright just plain and simple was one of the best all-around players in the tournament. Did not look the least out of place physically or in terms of 200-foot play, in addition to being an offensive force.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Oh man, yeah. Best comparison I've heard so far was to Steve Yzerman. Can see it a little in that clip at 1:35.

I remember following both Wright and Savoie from pretty young age just stat-watching on EP, and for a time I assumed Savoie was the better prospect. That was until I saw them both at U17s. Savoie looked sensational and really stood out with his speed and quickness, but also stood out by being physically overwhelmed and by making mistakes trying to force offense. As I've mentioned before, he started out on a line with Guenther and McTavish, but they ended up putting him on a line with Cole Sillinger to insulate him defensively (as Torts would put it, "to stay above the puck"). But Wright just plain and simple was one of the best all-around players in the tournament. Did not look the least out of place physically or in terms of 200-foot play, in addition to being an offensive force.

Great write up, but to me that reads more in favor of Savoie. They're still very young and will grow/get stronger.

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
Anybody else loving these games where the boys play great(especially the young players), probably deserve the win, but ultimately come up empty handed and thus keep us on track to pick in the 5-7 range?

Might be a little cruel but the long game is what matters.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Slafkovsky, Yurov, Lambert - in this order. Probably Lambert is the most skilled player in this draft. He is basically a bit more talented clone of Stutzle with a better shot. I believe Lambert will go top three no matter what.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
OK. Where does Seattle pick this year? Is it set? Is that effecting what you mentioned in your post?

Or is just taking into account that we could slip or move up because of the "lottery"?
It’s only based on lottery odds. The worst six teams have better odds to fall than move up or stay in place.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Slafkovsky, Yurov, Lambert - in this order. Probably Lambert is the most skilled player in this draft. He is basically a bit more talented clone of Stutzle with a better shot. I believe Lambert will go top three no matter what.
Lambert can really skate but a more talented clone of Stu is a weird take.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
We should start coming up with names in the consensus 20-30 range. If we are outside the top 5 we probably select from there lol

Lol, others have mentioned Cutter Gauthier as a name the Sens might be interested in. Jimmy Snuggerud seems like another one. Marco Kasper and Owen Beck I believe would also fit the mould. That's for forwards.

If they were to go D I'm less sure. For some reason a handful of WHLers come to mind - Denton Mateychuk, Mats Lindgren, Kevin Korchinski. All three are good two-way D with offensive upside. In terms of raw offensive skills it doesn't get much better than Lindgren in this draft. Mateychuk's biggest strengths are skating and hockey IQ. Korchinski is another exceptional skater with NHL size at 6'2.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
It’s only based on lottery odds. The worst six teams have better odds to fall than move up or stay in place.
OK, thanks.

I guess we'll see how it all turns out. We have games in hand versus several other teams that are also towards the bottom of the standings. Got to win those games though to leap frog those teams.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Semi-related question:

There used to be a site that predicted your finish (or if you'd make the playoffs) based on your record, quality of competition down the stretch, etc.

Does that still exist? Was it a part of tankathon at one point? I can't remember.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Lambert can really skate but a more talented clone of Stu is a weird take.

Lambert just a little bit more talented than Stutzle. Skating, shots, passing. He looks a lot like Stutzle in his stile of play. He is just disappearing at times during the games, does not really play defence.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Lambert just a little bit more talented than Stutzle. Skating, shots, passing. He looks a lot like Stutzle in his stile of play. He is just disappearing at times during the games, does not really play defence.

Agree to disagree.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Agree to disagree.

I mean he does play a similar style to Stutzle. Obviously not better though. Both in the sense that Stutzle has a couple year of development on him, and that Stutzle was the better prospect in their draft years. Time will tell though.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Lol, others have mentioned Cutter Gauthier as a name the Sens might be interested in. Jimmy Snuggerud seems like another one. Marco Kasper and Owen Beck I believe would also fit the mould. That's for forwards.

If they were to go D I'm less sure. For some reason a handful of WHLers come to mind - Denton Mateychuk, Mats Lindgren, Kevin Korchinski. All three are good two-way D with offensive upside. In terms of raw offensive skills it doesn't get much better than Lindgren in this draft. Mateychuk's biggest strengths are skating and hockey IQ. Korchinski is another exceptional skater with NHL size at 6'2.

What about Chesley he's a RHD??

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
What about Chesley he's a RHD??

Yeah I suppose he would fit the mould but I'm not a fan personally. Not sure he's a first rounder at this point. Maybe the same could be said for some of the players I mentioned, particularly Lindgren, but I've really liked what I've seen from him. Chesley is just completely unexciting to me. I'd be fine if we took him in the 2nd.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
I caught the Djurgardens game this morning. Hell of a showing for Lekkerimaki. I was already really impressed from his Hlinkas, but he seems to be adapting to the pro game remarkably quickly. Was playing mostly on Eklund's wing, although there was juggling throughout the game. Looks like Eklund is a full-time center there now. Tough outing for Eklund, by the bye; he's been really struggling in his own zone both in the handful of NHL games I saw him and this one today. Probably should be a winger in the NHL. But I digress.

I'm starting to think Lekkerimaki has some of the higher hockey IQ in this draft, already outfoxing some SHL defensemen on the forecheck to force them into sticky situations. Tracks and supports the puck very well, almost to a fault at times, where he is kinda stepping on his linemates' heels. Another one of these kids who is utilizing the 10-2 skating in interesting and innovative ways.

Reactions: Emrasie

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I caught the Djurgardens game this morning. Hell of a showing for Lekkerimaki. I was already really impressed from his Hlinkas, but he seems to be adapting to the pro game remarkably quickly. Was playing mostly on Eklund's wing, although there was juggling throughout the game. Looks like Eklund is a full-time center there now. Tough outing for Eklund, by the bye; he's been really struggling in his own zone both in the handful of NHL games I saw him and this one today. Probably should be a winger in the NHL. But I digress.

I'm starting to think Lekkerimaki has some of the higher hockey IQ in this draft, already outfoxing some SHL defensemen on the forecheck to force them into sticky situations. Tracks and supports the puck very well, almost to a fault at times, where he is kinda stepping on his linemates' heels. Another one of these kids who is utilizing the 10-2 skating in interesting and innovative ways.

Interesting.... Late riser, is he not?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Currently (30 Jan) in 4th draft place based on points percentage at .395:

26. Philadelphia .409
27. Buffalo .407
28. NJ .407
29. Senators .395
30. Seattle .364
31. Arizona .279
32. Montreal .267
Interesting. It was Jan. 29th when I looked it up. I wouldn't mind a top 5 pick.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Interesting.... Late riser, is he not?

Not sure I'd say that. I think like a lot of young players, with so many players (particularly from North America) bouncing around looking for work last year, as a 16 year old he got stuck dominating the U18 league when he probably should have been J20. I remember watching Hlinkas and thinking I'd found a hidden gem since I hadn't heard him talked about much, but then Bob put out his list shortly after, and had Lekkerimaki 14th, so I guess I wasn't all that ahead of the curve on that one. He's up to 12 on Bob's mid-season list. I'd say he absolutely deserves to be in the conversation with Kemell, Savoie, Cooley and Nazar as far as the top small forwards in the draft.

Since we know NHL teams are looking for big centers and RDs like Nemec, Jiricek, Geekie, Slafkovsky first and foremost, that means when you look at the list of the small forwards, whichever happen to be lower on certain teams' lists, could end up falling way further than expected. If certain teams have Lekkerimaki over Savoie or Kemell, and other teams are skipping the small guys for big Cs and Ds, one or two of those supposed surefire top fivers could easily end up falling to the cusp of the top ten or beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad