Prospect Info: 2022 Draft: 3OA - Logan Cooley, C

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Mixed feelings here. Would not care if the arena had passed. But there's no way he hold out three more years right? That's a ton of money on the table

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Mixed feelings here. Would not care if the arena had passed. But there's no way he hold out three more years right? That's a ton of money on the table

Depends on what happens here. Seriously. Unless he suffers a freak career-ending injury at college, he would likely prefer to go somewhere where there's stability, and the NCAA loophole gives him all the power to pick and choose. He'll have no shortage of suitors.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Depends on what happens here. Seriously. Unless he suffers a freak career-ending injury at college, he would likely prefer to go somewhere where there's stability, and the NCAA loophole gives him all the power to pick and choose. He'll have no shortage of suitors.

Yeah but that doesn't happen for several more years. That's millions of dollars lost.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If he REALLY wants another shot at a national title, then fine. Ok with me. Buuuuut the idea that this is somehow tied to the arena confuses me. Even if the vote passed, it's three more seasons at Mullett. So he needs to decide to:

A) stay in college and delay his ELC by 3-4 more years, this costing many millions in lifetime earnings (if everything works our perfectly) while simultaneously risking injury prior to NHLPA membership and lucrative early earning years.

B) Turn pro and play in the Mullett one way or the other. Or get relocated, I guess. Which again he's powerless against anyway. And really ought to be all the same to a teenager. Phoenix vs Houston is immaterial to an amateur hockey player who lives on a campus in Minnesota or with his parents in Pittsburgh.

C) Demand a trade? I guess?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If anyone wants to look at this from the optimistic side…

Going back to Minny for a second year keeps Cooley away from the distractions of all the current bullshit hanging over this franchise and the rebuild plan does not really take that much of a hit.

But you all feel free to panic amongst yourselves. :D

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
If the Tempe arena went though we wouldn't be talking about the likes of Keller and others possibly wanting out and the timeframe of being competitive would be sooner. Unfortunately not the case, so now he's looking at coming onto a team whose rebuild may be getting set back an additional few years should they want out, while also no certainty on what state he'd even be playing in a couple years from now.

Having to play with whatever dregs BA can drag in here, leads to no playoffs, depressed stats from playing with worse players, leads to lesser contracts. Or wait a couple years, pick a better team, with better players, likely getting playoff experience, leading to better contracts down the road making back some, if not all, of what was lost up front by waiting all while not having to deal with all this bs.

If Cooley's the type to bet on himself, the money lost isn't gonna be a problem for him. That said, I'll worry about losing him if we're in the same position this time next year, not just yet. (Though admittedly I'm rethinking taking any college commits in the first round this coming draft)

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Wheeler 2.0.

Cooley.jpg

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
If anyone wants to look at this from the optimistic side…

Going back to Minny for a second year keeps Cooley away from the distractions of all the current bullshit hanging over this franchise and the rebuild plan does not really take that much of a hit.

But you all feel free to panic amongst yourselves. :D
True. But we’re going to lose him I fear.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Nope, he's just being smart...look at the recent guys coming out all took 2 years and it benefitted them greatly, smart decision.

The alternative is just to horrific to even think about considering how good Cooley looks and how 'Cool' Cooley would look on the back of a kachina jersey.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Nope, he's just being smart...look at the recent guys coming out all took 2 years and it benefitted them greatly, smart decision.

The alternative is just to horrific to even think about considering how good Cooley looks and how 'Cool' Cooley would look on the back of a kachina jersey.

I don't think any of us are worried about him leaving in four years. That thought never crossed my mind. I do think the failed election pushed his decision to go back a year though. Otherwise, he would've made that call a month ago, not tow days after the election.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Also worth reminding, I think it was Colby Armstrong who said after he was drafted that Logan had told him earlier that week he wanted to get drafted here. I doubt this alone is enough to make him change his mind. Now if the Yotes can't get it figured out a year from now, maybe it changes.

Worst case, draft the best centers you can at 6 and 12 this year. If Cooley isn't gonna sign next year then you maybe move him for as high a pick possible next year and grab a couple good dmen with that pick and the Yotes own 1st.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Also worth reminding, I think it was Colby Armstrong who said after he was drafted that Logan had told him earlier that week he wanted to get drafted here. I doubt this alone is enough to make him change his mind. Now if the Yotes can't get it figured out a year from now, maybe it changes.

Worst case, draft the best centers you can at 6 and 12 this year. If Cooley isn't gonna sign next year then you maybe move him for as high a pick possible next year and grab a couple good dmen with that pick and the Yotes own 1st.
he was probably fine until he started subbing to TSN, SN , and other Canadian sports media

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
I am actually seeing this as a positive.
I still have flashbacks from Turris, who didnt look as great as Cooley in College but decent enough and then joined the pro team after one college season and looked overwhelmed by the NHL (deer in headlights?)
As Cooley is also on the smaller side, I like another year in Minnesota for him, to mature and grow.
I will start worrying about him not signing at all in a year, if the whole Coyotes future isnt cleared up by then...but then I will be worrying about way more than just Cooley not signing.

Reactions: Kaizen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad