Prospect Info: 2022 Draft: 3OA - Logan Cooley, C

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
30 days to figure it out before the draft. Going from best player available to “players who will actually sign here” isn’t a good draft philosophy, but could be the way AZ has to draft this year.

Not sure why the philosophy would have to change. The franchise's future will be resolved in a year or less, one way or the other. We have at the very least two years' worth of leeway for each drafted prospect. Go for best player and let the rest of the business shake itself out.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Not sure why the philosophy would have to change. The franchise's future will be resolved in a year or less, one way or the other. We have at the very least two years' worth of leeway for each drafted prospect. Go for best player and let the rest of the business shake itself out.
It isn’t just the draft though. That’s just the second domino.

First was Cooley, which is all but confirmed that the failed election was part of his decision.

Next is the draft.

Then you got UFA and pending RFA. The plan wasn’t to get big name guys, but even the middle tier and lower tier guys will look elsewhere.

Keeping in mind everything AZ does with these will determine how happy Keller and existing players are. Keller’s agents don’t show up to town just to say hi and play golf. These same agents who have put up with the uncertainty here for over a decade are representing the next wave of draft picks.

I agree with you. Players drafted in 2023 SHOULDNT worry about the future, since they’ll know where their 2024 NHL home will be at a later date, but don’t think for one second there is hope amongst draft eligible prospects they don’t end up in this shit show.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Then you got UFA and pending RFA. The plan wasn’t to get big name guys, but even the middle tier and lower tier guys will look elsewhere.

Devil's advocate: there will be some middle tier and lower tier guys who see it as an opportunity for better ice time than they might get elsewhere. More opportunity. Time with a better coaching staff (you have to know that what Tourigny and co. have done has not gone unnoticed by players and agents). Odds of a better salary, since we need to get above the floor.

Cooley went back to school because in his portfolio of options, stability and top-dog status outweighed the money for the next year. He didn't need to be wrapped up in a year of uncertainty which might have seen him jumping between the big club and the AHL. He'll be in one spot, solidly in his place and role, and that's worth more than dollars for some guys.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Devil's advocate: there will be some middle tier and lower tier guys who see it as an opportunity for better ice time than they might get elsewhere. More opportunity. Time with a better coaching staff (you have to know that what Tourigny and co. have done has not gone unnoticed by players and agents). Odds of a better salary, since we need to get above the floor.

Cooley went back to school because in his portfolio of options, stability and top-dog status outweighed the money for the next year. He didn't need to be wrapped up in a year of uncertainty which might have seen him jumping between the big club and the AHL. He'll be in one spot, solidly in his place and role, and that's worth more than dollars for some guys.
Don’t forget, Tourigny and BA have one year left on their contracts too.

Maybe none of this matters, but you’re starting to see uncertainty weigh on the organization in different ways. I for one, am sick of seeing the home grown talent go on to find homes elsewhere.

Reactions: Nowotny and Grimes

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Maybe none of this matters, but you’re starting to see uncertainty weigh on the organization in different ways. I for one, am sick of seeing the home grown talent go on to find homes elsewhere.

I think we've always had uncertainty. The difference now, I think, is that we're on our last shot. The NHL isn't going to keep this going like a perpetual motion machine. And I think that's what they're going to tell the NHLPA and any agents who ask about it.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Why does he keep leaving the door open to signing this summer?
Because I think he really wants to begin playing...one ear telling him he needs 2 years but he's probably thinking he can be an impact player now.

I'd love to see him sign, but we've seen the better development path is 2 years in college...another year of getting stronger and not playing the grind of 82 games will be better for his development.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Because I think he really wants to begin playing...one ear telling him he needs 2 years but he's probably thinking he can be an impact player now.

I'd love to see him sign, but we've seen the better development path is 2 years in college...another year of getting stronger and not playing the grind of 82 games will be better for his development.
With the ufa signings I dont think he is signing this summer. UNLESS...the plan is to have Zucker on his wing. :popcorn:

Reactions: moosemeister

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think he’s extremely competitive. Like disgustingly competitive. So he’s unfathomably pissed off that he got Bronze at the WJC, was Hobey Runner Up, and got 2nd Place at the Frozen Four. I think he wants the WJC Gold, the Hobey AND the National Title.

Yet…

…because he’s so freaking competitive he looks at the NHL and says, “I can do that. That’s not too much for me. I can prove myself there. I don’t need to wait.” And these two desires to prove himself as the best are directly conflicting.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
I think he’s extremely competitive. Like disgustingly competitive. So he’s unfathomably pissed off that he got Bronze at the WJC, was Hobey Runner Up, and got 2nd Place at the Frozen Four. I think he wants the WJC Gold, the Hobey AND the National Title.

Yet…

…because he’s so freaking competitive he looks at the NHL and says, “I can do that. That’s not too much for me. I can prove myself there. I don’t need to wait.” And these two desires to prove himself as the best are directly conflicting.
College for one more year to go after all those missed opportunities then NHL in 2024-25 so he’s not overshadowed but Bedard for the Calder trophy.

Last edited:

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Cooley had a better draft+1 season than Keller and was a top performer at the combine last year, does an extra year in the NCAA really get him tha tmuch?

Reactions: SpaceCoyote

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Im glad this management group is valuing what he could actually use in another year in college rather than what they did with Hayton.

“Oh yeah he’s totally not ready but press box snacks and NHL practices will develop this kid”

Tocchet/chayka’s development strategy was a joke

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I don't even think it's the difference in hours to be in the gym...I think it has everything to do w/the number of games. He'll play less than 50 games combined in the NCAA and World Juniors...that is far cry from 82 games he'll play as a pro.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
I don't even think it's the difference in hours to be in the gym...I think it has everything to do w/the number of games. He'll play less than 50 games combined in the NCAA and World Juniors...that is far cry from 82 games he'll play as a pro.
I think he'll get close to 60 games next year if everything goes the way we are thinking.

NCAA: 40 games (give or take 1 or 2 games) if they win the national championship.
World Juniors: 8/9 games (7 in tournament play, 1 or 2 in pre-tournament games).
AHL: 10 or so games depending on playing NHL games and if Tucson can make the playoffs he'll be there for that run.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00