Speculation: 2022-23 Sharks Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I kinda alluded to it in the the Karlsson thread, but how on-brand, capital S "Sharks" is it that during the team's first rebuild in 20 years the most valuable trade piece they have (Karlsson) has no value because of a f***ing global pandemic-caused flat salary cap.

I know the Flyers are up there, but must be the most cursed franchise
I think it's safe to say that the sharks were among the most, if not the most, negatively impacted by COVID franchise in the NHL. Their entire 7 year plan was predicated on the assumption of a rising cap

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I kinda alluded to it in the the Karlsson thread, but how on-brand, capital S "Sharks" is it that during the team's first rebuild in 20 years the most valuable trade piece they have (Karlsson) has no value because of a f***ing global pandemic-caused flat salary cap.

f*** the Flyers, they have two cups in the last 50 years. AND Lindros.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Hello sharks fan , asking for fantasy purpose

Is Eklund expected to play NHL from the get go ? Should he get decent PP time ?

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California

The Sharks are absolutely cursed. At least the Flyers won Cups at some point, even if it was 50 years ago.

The history of this franchise is full of enough what-ifs to give one an aneurysm.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
This is why I demand the sharks win a cup as full blown heels because if it ever happens it needs to happen in the most satisfying way possible

I want completely blown calls and no calls, stacked PP opportunities and the other teams best players to all go down with pink eye in the deciding games

It just makes sense and will feel much better if they win it in another team's arena with the fans littering the ice with debris

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Hello sharks fan , asking for fantasy purpose

Is Eklund expected to play NHL from the get go ? Should he get decent PP time ?

Hopefully and hopefully. Hard to say. They added a ton of wing depth. Before the off-season I would have said definitely but at this point who knows.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Hopefully and hopefully. Hard to say. They added a ton of wing depth. Before the off-season I would have said definitely but at this point who knows.
It's "depth" in exactly the same way I would be depth if I could mind-control Grier into signing me to a contract. Eklund should beat it out easily, though he knows gut get a few AHL games by way of a rehab assignment.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
That doesn’t guarantee him a spot though. I also highly doubt he ends up better than Duclair.
in all fairness, Duclair isn’t depth. I like Duclair But I see Eklund having more overall talent. Not saying Duclair isnt talented but I think Eklund has the edge. I forgot about the surgery for EK’s. When he’s 100% I believe he’ll end up being much better than Granlund, Hoffman or Zadina. Those first two names may be a low bar but I actually have high hopes for Zadina as well. It’ll be fun to see who earns those spots in the lineup.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I think they are going to start with Hertl + Duclair and Couture + Granlund anchoring the top 2 lines and Sturm centering the 3rd line. There are lots of guys competing for the remaining 4 winger spots in the top 9: Eklund, Barabonov, Hoffman, Kunin, Zetterlund, Peterson, Zadina, Labanc, and Lindblom. Many of those guys have different strengths. If they want to put a playmaker on Hertl’s line, I think Eklund is the best of the bunch.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Just trying to fill the hockey void, but I can't help but be a little bearish on Eklund. His post-two draft years have been a little underwhelming. Right now the best thing on his resume is his draft position, and let's not forget that the mastermind behind his selection might be one of the worst scouts in the league.

Reactions: DG93

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Just trying to fill the hockey void, but I can't help but be a little bearish on Eklund. His post-two draft years have been a little underwhelming. Right now the best thing on his resume is his draft position, and let's not forget that the mastermind behind his selection might be one of the worst scouts in the league.
I wonder how much of that we can blame on the pando. Also, compared to everyone above him the draft, he has a lot of catching up to do. But for those drafted below, only 3 players (Sillinger, Johnston, and Moser) have made more of an NHL impact. So in that regard he's OK.

Either way, huge season for him, seemingly make-or-break.

Reactions: landshark

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think they are going to start with Hertl + Duclair and Couture + Granlund anchoring the top 2 lines and Sturm centering the 3rd line. There are lots of guys competing for the remaining 4 winger spots in the top 9: Eklund, Barabonov, Hoffman, Kunin, Zetterlund, Peterson, Zadina, Labanc, and Lindblom. Many of those guys have different strengths. If they want to put a playmaker on Hertl’s line, I think Eklund is the best of the bunch.
Granlund’s best season have come at C. It would be weird for him to not be 3C.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I'm not sure where Eklund sots in given all the wingers we have. Until he proves himself as better than them, he'll have to fight just like everyone else. I'd like to see this out of training camp:

Duclair-Couture-Barabanov (Good mix of goal scoring/playmaking)
Eklund-Hertl-Labanc
Zadina-Granlund-Zetterlund
Peterson-Sturm-Kunin
Hoffman

I feel like it's a total crap shoot and definitely won't go that way though. There's too many guys that could be anything from an okay complimentary winger to a healthy scratch.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Eklund had a great bounce back season in the AHL last year before the injury. I personally don’t see this as a make or break season for him. Saying he’s underwhelmed is pretty odd too. When he has had opportunities in the NHL, I think we could all agree he was better than most the older guys ahead of him, but he wasn’t at super star level, so he didn’t stick. That seems like a tough expectation for any young player. Sending him to Sweden, then to the AHL was a smart choice. imo, he’s more muscular, he’s a bit more seasoned and his development is just now progressing in the right direction. He’s not some 23 yr old former 7th OA pick folks. I’m pretty sure he‘s just about to turn 21! Relax. I guess for me, I just can’t stand when prospects get pigeon holed into these metrics and D1, D3 etc things. I get that it can be an accurate way to track and predict success but let’s not get too caught up in that portion of THIS players overall potential. He’s showed he can be effective with his skill set in the NHL. Now it’s time for him to go out there and make defensemen look silly on a regular basis.

Last edited:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Granlund’s best season have come at C. It would be weird for him to not be 3C.
He will also garner more trade value as a C than a wing. Thinking something like the following, but honestly we have no clue because there is so much quantity right now on the wings.

Duclair-Hertl-Barabanov
Eklund-Couture-Zadina
Hoffman-Granlund-Zetterlund
Lindblom-Sturm-Kunin

Still leaves you with Labanc and Peterson as scratches when I think both are top 9 forwards. Would not be totally shocked to see Eklund break camp with the Cuda depending how his rehab is from his shoulder. There are a lot of guys on the wing looking to win jobs on the NHL roster this season. Sort of why I am surprised Barabanov wasn't moved this offseason given how okay Grier was to take similar types of guys making 2x as much in the Karlsson deal.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Eklund was pretty much unanimously a great pick at 7; it was expected be would be gone by then, no matter the GM.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
He will also garner more trade value as a C than a wing. Thinking something like the following, but honestly we have no clue because there is so much quantity right now on the wings.

Duclair-Hertl-Barabanov
Eklund-Couture-Zadina
Hoffman-Granlund-Zetterlund
Lindblom-Sturm-Kunin

Still leaves you with Labanc and Peterson as scratches when I think both are top 9 forwards. Would not be totally shocked to see Eklund break camp with the Cuda depending how his rehab is from his shoulder. There are a lot of guys on the wing looking to win jobs on the NHL roster this season. Sort of why I am surprised Barabanov wasn't moved this offseason given how okay Grier was to take similar types of guys making 2x as much in the Karlsson deal.
Duclair-Hertl-Guschin
Eklund-Couture-Zadina
Peterson-Granlund-Barabanov
Hoffman-Sturm-Zetterlund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad