Speculation: 2022-2023 General Lightning Discussion - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Whats our cap situation going into next year? We're basically tapped out now and have no assets to improve much through trade. At some point, if we wanna keep this thing rolling, we're gonna have to retool.

We got Cernak, Serge, Cirelli, Paul and Vasy locked up long term. Hopefully we can get Colton and Hagel locked up, but Stamkos, Hedman and Kuch aren't getting any younger. Sooner or later we're gonna have to bring in some new top end talent and transition into a new phase with maybe Stamkos and Hedman playing more veteran depth rolls.

I guess I'm a little more bearish on this team right now than most when it comes to being able to win another cup. I think attrition is gonna start kicking in (if its not already) and teams are just as good or will surpass us. These runs don't last forever.

However, if we can have a new core of more roll players: Cernak, Serge, Cirelli, Paul, Hagel (w/ Vasy & Point), hopefully we'll be able to replace some top end talent when Stamkos, Hedman and Kuch to some extent start to age out.

Any idea when we'll be in position to do that?

Last edited:
Reactions: SnakeIdol

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I like McCabe, but I have zero idea where he could slot in to.

welcome back

I miss seeing some of the names that used to be here regularly in the mid-'10s. Xenophobia Catalyst and nhljohnson immediately come to mind when I think about then. IdealisticSniper as well; I was convinced that's who Bolts Jolts was but it would seem they aren't the same person.

Even I haven't had time for a lot of hockey this year except for our games. Hopefully 2023-'24 will be better in that regard, but I can't speak to much that's happened elsewhere with anything beyond a surface level understanding.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
I miss seeing some of the names that used to be here regularly in the mid-'10s. Xenophobia Catalyst and nhljohnson immediately come to mind when I think about then. IdealisticSniper as well; I was convinced that's who Bolts Jolts was but it would seem they aren't the same person.

Even I haven't had time for a lot of hockey this year except for our games. Hopefully 2023-'24 will be better in that regard, but I can't speak to much that's happened elsewhere with anything beyond a surface level understanding.
*disengages lurker mode*

Very kind.

When I was younger and watching every minute of every Bolts game no matter the time zone, plus catching other NHL games on the regular, I had some pretty strong convictions about the league, teams, and players and felt inclined to opine.

It was a combination of things, but especially a growing family, that led me to step back in my engagement. Been keeping tabs here the whole time, though! And who knows, circumstances may change, and I might post somewhat frequently again. Lord knows my wife doesn’t want to be my sounding board.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty

Sorry we aren't good enough for you.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
How are we feeling about our chances if the Rags pull off a Kane trade? Toronto seems to have made their big move. Boston and Carolina might still make significant moves.

If we make a small move (likely due to circumstances) how are you feeling about our chances against these other powerhouses in the east?

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
How are we feeling about our chances if the Rags pull off a Kane trade? Toronto seems to have made their big move. Boston and Carolina might still make significant moves.

If we make a small move (likely due to circumstances) how are you feeling about our chances against these other powerhouses in the east?
Pretty good.

All the money in the world can't buy a team the experience and chemistry this bolts team has together.

Plus we have the ultimate X-Factor in Vassy.

Is the team as good as they were a couple years ago? No.

Are they still a legit contender? Absolutely, and I like their chances.

Don't let the media's hype get to you. I trust JBB and any moves he may or may not make.

Reactions: Hoek and Peacefool

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017

If hedman is good we will be fine. if he plays like he has we are getting swept

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
would’ve liked hathaway. not sure there is anyone better we can get with our assets. lafferty is nothing special

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019

Fuuuuuuck me, Boston is gonna be stupid good, even more than they currently are.

The arms race of the Atlantic is officially on, JBB do your thing

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Not looking good to be honest. Rangers, Leafs and Bruins have all added. I'd say the Leafs and Bruins got considerably better in doing so too.

If we don't land Meier and a dman or something like that, I'm not sure Lafferty moves the needle much in comparison to the other teams. Bruins are all in for one last go it seems.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
just do this or don’t even bother:

to tampa: meier, salary retained by multiple teams
to san jose: namestnikov, 3 first round picks (2025-2028)and isaac howard

we never even hit on first round picks so just throw them all away

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Bolts fans need to come to the realization that this is who we're going to war with and there's not much we can do to improve other than small tweaks. Every team goes through attrition and other teams are next in line. It's probably our time.

Some of these ideas about Meier and such...lol

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
just do this or don’t even bother:

to tampa: meier, salary retained by multiple teams
to san jose: namestnikov, 3 first round picks (2025-2028)and isaac howard

we never even hit on first round picks so just throw them all away
Can only be retained by 2 teams.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Lafferty and Mayfield would be fine adds, maybe Lafferty, Bjugstad and Mayfield(or another dman). Tampa can't afford to stand pat and realistically expect to get through the East, especially as most of the other top contenders are loading up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad