2022-2023 AUS Thread

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Chris Morehouse, captain Moncton Wildcats, 1 year at SMU, 2 years minor Pro, 2 years at STU - is now Director of Amateur Scouting for SJ Sharks.

Just proves that sometimes good things happen to bad people.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
FYI - here are some new rule changes for the coming season. These were adopted for Jr.A and AUS.

Hybrid Icing Face-off
- non-offending team can pick the face-off dot
- each center will get one(1) warning for face-off violation (any type of violation)

Penalty End-Zone Face-off
- non-offending team can pick the face-off dot
- the first face-off violation (for each center) will get the center ejected (they don't get a warning like they do for Icing Face-off)

All Face-offs
- a second face-off violation (of any kind) is now a mandatory penalty for the center. The word 'may' has been replaced with 'will'.

Puck Out of Play
- all face-offs, regardless of who was the last to touch the puck before it left the ice surface, will remain in the end-zone (assuming there is no penalty)
- if the defending team is responsible, they can not make changes
- 'direct' out of play remains a penalty to the defending team

Eg. 1. defending team shoots the puck hard off the glass and out of play - face-off in their end-zone and no change.
Eg. 2. a defending team clearing shot drifts high and into a team's bench - face-off in their end-zone and no change
Eg.3. a defending team clearing shot is deflected by an attacking player's stick and out-of-play - face-off in the attaching zone and defending team can change.

Coincidental Penalties
- where a single player on each team is being assessed a minor penalty at the same stoppage of play, teams will now play 1-man down.

Eg. 5-on-5 and coincidental minors are called, one to a member of each team. The teams will now play 4-on-4.

- awaiting clarification, but it's being assumed that if any team is short-handed already, each team will remain at their current strength (this is not explicitly outlined in the HC Rulebook but is in the OHL Rulebook).

Eg.1. 5-on-4 and a coincidental situation arises, teams will remain 5-on-4.
Eg.2. 4-on-4 and a coincidental situation arises, teams will remain 4-on-4.

Procedural Changes
- Linespersons will perform center-ice face-offs for Goals
- Linesperson will raise their non-whistle arm when they blow their whistle for hybrid icing

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I saw 2 Ex games this weekend. SMU over SFX 4-1 (EN) and DAL 4-2 (EN).

SMU has most of last years team back as does SFX.

Matt Welsh is doing a Masters, I think, and Theede is a 5th year.

I hope to get over to the UNB-DAL game Thursday.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I saw 2 Ex games this weekend. SMU over SFX 4-1 (EN) and DAL 4-2 (EN).

SMU has most of last years team back as does SFX.

Matt Welsh is doing a Masters, I think, and Theede is a 5th year.

I hope to get over to the UNB-DAL game Thursday.
Going to be a battle for those two spots to the Nationals.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
FYI - here are some new rule changes for the coming season. These were adopted for Jr.A and AUS.

Hybrid Icing Face-off
Penalty End-Zone Face-off
Puck Out of Play
Coincidental Penalties
Procedural Changes

The AUS voted down all of the suggested changes presented by the Technical Committee last Wednesday night. Friday night's crew didn't learn about this until just before the game and I didn't hear from them until after the game. So - we'll have to wait another year for any drastic changes.

The only changes worth noting are
- Changing Ends for Over Time (no new ice - 3min rest remains)
- No scrape prior to Shootout

Note: the rulebook outlines that when a team leaves the ice for OT (to have the ice cleaned and for each subsequent OT Period where the ice is cleaned) that they will continue to change ends. When OT starts right away - they would normally remain on their 'bench' side, but the AUS has chosen to change ends despite no new ice. Not a big issue (re: rulebook) but they have to codify this change in the Ops Manual for it to be implemented.

This will make a change harder when the other team has the puck

1. UNB
2. SFX
3. SMU
4. UPEI
5. DAL
6. ACD
7. UDM

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Does that mean that none of the rule changes are happening? I'm confused.
Correct - the changes (outlined by the Technical Committee or specific coaches) were forwarded to the ADs/League who voted not to accept them and remain 'status quo' for this year.

The only changes, minor at that, are i) Changing ends to start OT and ii) No scrape prior to the shootout.

Reactions: AUS Fan

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
The AUS voted down all of the suggested changes presented by the Technical Committee last Wednesday night. Friday night's crew didn't learn about this until just before the game and I didn't hear from them until after the game. So - we'll have to wait another year for any drastic changes.

The only changes worth noting are
- Changing Ends for Over Time (no new ice - 3 min rest remains)
- No scrape prior to Shootout

Note: the rulebook outlines that when a team leaves the ice for OT (to have the ice cleaned and for each subsequent OT Period where the ice is cleaned) that they will continue to change ends. When OT starts right away - they would normally remain on their 'bench' side, but the AUS has chosen to change ends despite no new ice. Not a big issue (re: rulebook) but they have to codify this change in the Ops Manual for it to be implemented.

This will make a change harder when the other team has the puck

1. UNB
2. SFX
3. SMU
4. UPEI
5. DAL
6. ACD
7. UDM

The 22/23 ops manual page 15 has the overtime protocol outlined for men's hockey.

End of 3rd period, before overtime = 2 minute bench rest
Teams change ends on dirty ice

End of overtime, before shootout = 3 minute bench rest
No scrape or flood of the ice before shootout

Ops manual does not indicate if teams changes ends again for the shootout or if goalies remain in the same end as in overtime, but current NHL procedure is noted. NHL rule 84.4 says for a shootout, teams defend the same end zone as they do for the first and third period....so it appears they do change back after OT.
1664143168597.png

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Good game at DAL tonight. 5-2 final with ACA taking the win.
5 PP goals and a Shorty in this game.
Bit of a chippy game with 19 penalties called. DAL needs to play physical but at times they get carried away.
ACA PP was good with 4 goals.
My next game will be DAL @ SMU on Friday.

Reactions: Rob

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
There is one new change to the rules to share, albeit it was added in May after the AGM, so it's new but old.

The non-offending team can choose the face-off dot for the first power-play face-off. Rule 22.3 (AUS Men only)

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00